View Poll Results: Who should have their jersey retired.

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • James Posey

4 100.00%
  • Derek Strong

0 0%
  • Lenny Brown

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Who do you think deserves to have their jersey retired? Blueitt will have his up there but here are 3 fringe guys.

James posey: Prop 48 rules, was ineligible, so sat out his freshman year. Posey ranks 16th on Xavier's all-time scoring list with 1,455 points and 10th on Xavier's all-time rebounding list with 801. Posey led XU in rebounding in each of his three seasons as a Musketeer.

Derek Strong: Strong ranks tenth in Xavier history in career rebounding (805) and 27th in career scoring (1,291).
    I believe he also only played 3 years .

Lenny brown: Brown, who stands sixth on Xavier's all-time scoring list with 1,885 career points, led Xavier to the second round of the 1997 NCAA Tournament and a berth in the 1998 NCAA Tournament. XU finished third in the 1999 NIT.
    I am obviously late to this discussion and a lot has happened (not sure if this was posted before or after Tre and Tu announcement). I think it was obvious that Tre was next and the most deserving former Muskie. After that I wasn't positive they would retire anyone else's any time soon given how long it had been.

That being said Tu was very deserving and I thought rightfully next in line. Now with the news of Sato I think that could have gone either way but he clearly has the stats in program history to be deserving.

Now I don't think there is another formwer player worthy of being in the rafters. HOF guys? Absolutely. Hanging in the rafters? No, not imo.

With how rarely guys are and will be around for long careers at one school now it will probably be a very long time we hang one again.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    HOW?

4th in points and 8th in rebounds
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I could probably be swayed either way. He is already in the X hall of fame, I just don't think we should be giving out jersey retirements like candy.

Really good player with good postseason success and from all accounts, an even better person. However, he was "only" an honorable mention All American once, and I don't feel like he ever really had a "moment."

On the other side, his stats speak for themselves, so if it happens, I'm not going to go all fire and brimstone, but I think Xavier needs to be a little careful as to not cheapen a jersey retirement.

As to the choices above, I don't think any of them should touch a jersey retirement, just my opinion.
    I am happy for Sato and he is deserving but the fact he was never the best player (or most important player) on any Xavier team he was on would be an argument against. Obviously tough to be better than the GOAT West and then Chalmers was the leader and spark/MVP in '04 despite Sato being a better overall player with a better career.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Tu should have been announced first.....but whatever
    Disagree, Tre was the obvious next choice and the most deserving. Tre and Tu are my 2nd and 3rd favorite X players ever, I love both, but if you could only do one of them it is Tre. What he did in a far superior conference over 4 years is I think underrated by Xavier fans at this point. 3 time All Big East 1st team.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Sorry but what? Tu I can maybe understand but tre was a second team all American, all big East three years in a row, all big East tourney three years in a row, 1 seed, 2 seed and an elite eight. Also second in scoring at a big East level competition. probably the most decorated x player ever in terms of personal and team accomplishments.
    Didn't see this before my last post but you nailed it. I think the opposite of recency bias is somehow happening.

Let's just say, I don't think there is any coincidence the order in which these players were announced by Xavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Wasn’t Chalmers the leader and main reason for the breakthrough, though?

I’m good with Sato being retired. Just….i always thought Chalmers was the reason for the breakthrough. Obviously everyone had a big part of it, but he was the leader.
    Also didn't read this one before, but you are absolutely correct. That was Chalmers team, no doubt about it.

Love Sato, he was amazing and is deserving, but no Xavier team was ever "his".

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I am happy for Sato and he is deserving but the fact he was never the best player (or most important player) on any Xavier team he was on would be an argument against. Obviously tough to be better than the GOAT West and then Chalmers was the leader and spark/MVP in '04 despite Sato being a better overall player with a better career.

great players play on the same teams all the time and thats never been a determining factor for HOF status in any league/sport?

Whatever point you're trying to make doesnt negate what Sato did for X or his validity for having a jersey in the rafters

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Also didn't read this one before, but you are absolutely correct. That was Chalmers team, no doubt about it.

Love Sato, he was amazing and is deserving, but no Xavier team was ever "his".
    Was it Chalmers team when he didnt play well for 2/3 of the year to start the season? LOL, whatever

Sato was the glue and probably one of the most consistent players in all 4 years of his career at X.

Was it Chalmers team when he didnt play well for 2/3 of the year to start the season? LOL, whatever
    Yes, which is exactly why as Chalmers went the team went. He wasn't good, X wasn't good, then he was unreal and X took off.

Love Sato, again very deserving of the honor, has the numbers, I am very happy for him.

Sophomore
    great players play on the same teams all the time and thats never been a determining factor for HOF status in any league/sport?

Whatever point you're trying to make doesnt negate what Sato did for X or his validity for having a jersey in the rafters
    I think the point Rainman is making, is that he must respond to every single post on this site, or he just can’t leave the house.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb