More Transfer portal changes

New rules coming soon to shorten the time to enter the transfer portal window to 30 days from 45, and open the portal after the 2nd round tournament games.

The change in the timing kinda supports the view that some of us took last spring that trying to work the portal while playing in the tournament was untenable....

but I digress.

Anyway, I expect future shit shows with a 30 day portal. As if it werent chaotic enough.

I agree that it reflects the opinion of most coaches that the portal shouldn’t open until AFTER the tournaments are done. However, the decision to open it while the BB tournament is still going on looks to me to be a compromise between the coaches and the player’s supporters. I’m sure that the vast majority of players wish that it opened as soon as the regular season was over.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    New rules coming soon to shorten the time to enter the transfer portal window to 30 days from 45, and open the portal after the 2nd round tournament games.

The change in the timing kinda supports the view that some of us took last spring that trying to work the portal while playing in the tournament was untenable....

but I digress.

Anyway, I expect future shit shows with a 30 day portal. As if it werent chaotic enough.
    I actually don't think it will be any noticeable difference at all. And, I don't know why they didn't just push it back until the day after the national championship. And do that for all the sports.

In my experience, whether the portal is open for 3 days or 300 days, the same number of players go into it.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I don't think it will change much...it's only a shortened period to ENTER the portal...not to sign with your new school.
    We've been working hard the whole year...we're staying focused and keeping it one game at a time. --Justin Cage

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeagle View Post
    I don't think it will change much...it's only a shortened period to ENTER the portal...not to sign with your new school.
    Yeah. but the dominoes is what matters most. I'm sure there are a bunch of players that enter the offseason believing they are going to stay at their school and suddenly their potential role for next year is now filled by an incoming transfer. So they enter the portal. And they land at a school and bump another kid out. And so on.

There will be 1/3rd less time next year for these things to play out. But the same amount of things need to play out.

Its going to be more hectic. As if that was possible.

Another issue is this...

There are currently 365 men's basketball players in the portal who received aid from a D1 school last year. That's about one per team, which I guess isn't too bad when you look at it that way, but it's still 365 players who were on scholarship, and who would have remained on scholarship had they not entered the portal, but who did enter the portal and ended up with nothing. And that's just one sport. When you factor in all the sports it's got to be more than 10,000.

As much as I don't like the NCAA as a whole (and I don't) there are still some individuals who work at the NCAA who do want to do what they feel is best and most helpful, and a lot of them would like to see those numbers reduced.

Now, having said that, I just don't think it will matter. The window to go into the portal being at 30 days does not mean that the REQUESTS to go into the portal still won't happen 365 days a year. It's just that they won't actually technically go in until the window opens. That's why I said whether it was 3 days or 300 days the number of players in it would likely be about the same. And once someone is in the portal, they stay in there until a school matriculates them, or until they take themselves out, and much of this happens WAAAAY outside of a 30 or 45 day window.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White