Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Everyone knocks Free's defense, and it's warranted, but he's also a match-up nightmare for the opposition. On a team like this, let him eat on offense! We can't expect him to be an All-American defender. He will score more than he gives up.

Also more opportunity for Swain to develop quicker. It sucks, but the roster is much better this year.

Hoping the injury is less severe.
    I AGREE with you. But you are missing the point.

The opposing coach will realize that a) He's terrible on defense, and b) he cant score if he's on the bench in foul trouble.

My game plan would be to spread out and post against Free on the first 10 possessions. You'll get 7 buckets or fouls out of 10. If we dont take out Free for one reason (fouls) or another (cant get a stop), then you just keep feeding there.

They are going to go after Freemantle. With or without Traore. But with Traore in the game you get a little more help defense and weak side rim protection. And in the event of a miss, Traore has rebounding responsibilities.

First of all, I really do hope his injury is not as serious as initially described. But if so, I really think this sets us back 2-3 spots in the BE rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

The opposing coach will realize that a) He's terrible on defense, and b) he cant score if he's on the bench in foul trouble.

My game plan would be to spread out and post against Free on the first 10 possessions. You'll get 7 buckets or fouls out of 10. If we dont take out Free for one reason (fouls) or another (cant get a stop), then you just keep feeding there.

They are going to go after Freemantle. With or without Traore. But with Traore in the game you get a little more help defense and weak side rim protection. And in the event of a miss, Traore has rebounding responsibilities.

First of all, I really do hope his injury is not as serious as initially described. But if so, I really think this sets us back 2-3 spots in the BE rankings.
    Actually, in thinking about it a little further, if we dont have Traore I would expect alot more double teams (which means an open guy somewhere) or.....zone. Our pace on offense doesnt align well to a zone defense. We wanna run teams out of the gym and a zone slows everything down to a halt.

All-Conference
    Just make the damn tournament. This shouldn't jeopardize that.

Hope his injury is not too serious. Maybe no surgery!?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

Everything I have heard about Traore's injury is through a "friend of a friend" and we all know how unreliable news like that can be. But my understanding is that he originally felt O.K. after the injury but had the ACL tear confirmed the next day via an MRI. Again, all of this is rumor so I cannot confirm any of it.

If true, it does carry significant implications. I agree with your earlier statement that Swain (who was going to see plenty of minutes anyway) takes on a more important role. He is a solid defensive player but obviously not a "5". Free is, I also agree, not a whirlwind on defense but he has had a couple of years to develop and mature. So, maybe he will be an improved version of his former self. I doubt we will see Free and Hugley on the floor together for substantial minutes. I haven't heard much about Hunter. Clearly, he's just getting back to full strength, and I have to believe, at best, Miller will have him on a pitch count. But, if he returns to his old self by the time the conference season starts, he can be a big help defensively.

Everybody I have spoken with about this team raves (including some of the staff), just raves about the guard play----not just the depth but the scoring ability and athleticism. We will score a bunch of points as long as we can rebound.

It is the most obvious statement in the world, but any additional front court injuries will obliterate our season. Maybe we have had our quota of these over the last couple of seasons. I hope. I hope. I hope.