PDA

View Full Version : UD's Benson out for the year

xufan02
10-30-2008, 07:29 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/daytonflyers/

Masterofreality
10-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Well, we will see the usual slow, stiff, cornfield bred robotic beanpole playing center for u dump again this year.

Welcome to the Love-Freaser, Kurt.

XU05and07
10-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Built-in excuse for UD fans

jcubspoe
10-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Wow...you guys are showing an immense range of basketball knowledge outside of everything X basketball. There was long speculation that JB just might RS anyway this year...it's a given now that he will. KH was going to be about the only one that guarded Love/Frease anyway...it sure as hell wasn't going to be the 205 lb JB guarding Frease.

JB was third on the depth chart for the 4/5 position behind KH, DS, CW and CL. A RS will most likely do for JB what it did for DB as they are about identical coming out of high school.

Firehose
10-30-2008, 09:16 AM
I would laugh my ass off if he winds up transferring and backs up Jamel at the 4.

xufan02
10-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Wow...you guys are showing an immense range of basketball knowledge outside of everything X basketball. There was long speculation that JB just might RS anyway this year...it's a given now that he will. KH was going to be about the only one that guarded Love/Frease anyway...it sure as hell wasn't going to be the 205 lb JB guarding Frease.

JB was third on the depth chart for the 4/5 position behind KH, DS, CW and CL. A RS will most likely do for JB what it did for DB as they are about identical coming out of high school.

I thought this was the Josh Benson that 'outplayed' Kenny Frease head to head in an AAU events, now he can not guard Frease because he is too thin. Also, Benson was not going to redshirt, Dayton has no one proven at the 5 other than Huelsman. Searcy played next to nothing last season, and Charles Little is 6'5 tops, you think he is going to guard Love, Frease, and McLean. Benson would have been counted on for depth.

XUOHTX
10-30-2008, 09:37 AM

IL using TL abbreviations FE.

AdamtheFlyer
10-30-2008, 10:38 AM
This is a pretty significant injury, but one that can be overcome. Devin Searcy is going to do some really good things this year, and now he'll be needed an extra couple of minutes a night. I think he'll be ok. Charles Little will need to step up and be a senior leader. He needs to be able to guard guys that are 6'8" and do so well. And Luke Fabrizius is going to be thrown into a position he may not be ready for. Can't say I feel confident about the latter two. Little has never been consistent enough to be counted on as a keystone player.

But with a good team effort, this loss won't hurt. The biggest area is fouls. Benson being out puts more pressure on Wright and Huelsman to avoid fouls, and Huelsman is no stranger to fouls.

Benson was going to be a 5-10 MPG player that brought hustle, athleticism, and the ability to run the floor to the 4/5 spot. He wasn't ready to carry much of the load, but he was ready to contribute. Hopefully he can get it fixed, get back in the weight room, and become a beast of a RS frosh next year. Stick him with Kavanaugh and the 2009 newcomers look to be strong in the paint.

Smails
10-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah..I doubt this is a 'season killer' for the Flyers, but it definitely puts the margin of error much thinner for your boys. At the end of the day he's still a freshman who may or may not have had a signifigant impact on this season.

jcubspoe
10-30-2008, 11:51 AM
I thought this was the Josh Benson that 'outplayed' Kenny Frease head to head in an AAU events, now he can not guard Frease because he is too thin. Also, Benson was not going to redshirt, Dayton has no one proven at the 5 other than Huelsman. Searcy played next to nothing last season, and Charles Little is 6'5 tops, you think he is going to guard Love, Frease, and McLean. Benson would have been counted on for depth.

It is the JB that garnered the MVP award over KF at the Ohio All star game last year...but you won't find anywhere a quote from me that said that said they guarded each other...they rarely matched up in that game. In that game, KF owned the paint but JB owned in the open court...both had double doubles that game. I've always said KF is more ready this year then JB. You probably read a bunch of mumbo jumbo crap over at UDpride in some X-UD pissing match. The same crap was usually on the old MM board also. That's why I was suprised to see over here a couple posts from guys that had absolutely no clue what they were talking about.

Also, JB may or may not have Redshirted this year but there are many many fans who believe he needs it and wouldn't have cared if he had. As Adam said, he was a 5-10 min guy this year and probably would've had a few really good games but wouldn't have played consistently enough to make a difference night in and night out. This hurts our depth no doubt (as does Lyons not playing for you at PG) and yes, the margin for another injury is now razor thin as it is for you if Redford or Holloway were to go down. We were in no different position at the 4/5 then what X was at the PG spot. Both teams "talked" about RS one of the guys and now both teams are down to 2 players left at those positons (2 quality players that is).

jdm2000
10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
It does seem like UD has some depth problems down low. It's really Huelsman and Searcy at the 5, and then a bunch of guys who are either undersized for the 4 (a la Little) or have a skill set more suited to a 3 (Wright, Fabrizius). If Huelsman and/or Little have foul trouble, there could be some tough matchups out there.

On the other hand, maybe this makes the Flyers more likely to play up-tempo? It seems like a lineup of Searcy at the 5, Wright at the 4, Fabrizius at the 3, Johnson at the 2 and the Jet at the 1 would be able to get up and down the court.

jcubspoe
10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
It does seem like UD has some depth problems down low. It's really Huelsman and Searcy at the 5, and then a bunch of guys who are either undersized for the 4 (a la Little) or have a skill set more suited to a 3 (Wright, Fabrizius). If Huelsman and/or Little have foul trouble, there could be some tough matchups out there.

On the other hand, maybe this makes the Flyers more likely to play up-tempo? It seems like a lineup of Searcy at the 5, Wright at the 4, Fabrizius at the 3, Johnson at the 2 and the Jet at the 1 would be able to get up and down the court.

Again, I don't know where you get this information. There was legit debate in the UD camp that either LF or JB would RS. You will not see Fabreeeeze at the 3 much this year, in fact, you won't see him much at all this year. He weighs a whopping 190 lbs soaking wet. You will see much more of CJ at the 3 then LF. Why in the world can't CW play the 4??? He's 6-8 230!

I wouldn't mind for most of a basketball game to see this out there...it's undersized but athletic as hell:

1- LW or Lowery
2 - Marcus Johnson (PW)
3- Chris Johnson
4- Charles Little
5- CW

CW is so versatile that he can play the 3,4 and against allot teams that don't have a KF, the 5. DS at 6-10 will be counted on now though at the 5. When he's in it's easy to keep CL at the 4 and slide CW back down to the 3 and you still have a very very athletic team out there.

AdamtheFlyer
10-30-2008, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=jdm2000;62407] On the other hand, maybe this makes the Flyers more likely to play up-tempo? QUOTE]

Maybe, but I don't think it will change tempo much. This team will be the most hyperactive UD team in a while, but they won't be putting up 85 a game. Everyone but Kurt is a plus or "plus-plus" athlete, and should be able to succeed at any tempo. Again, Benson being out hurts depth a little, but nothing major. It's just an adjustment. I'd say we were looking at a 50/50 shot at a RS this year between Fab and Benson. Now we know for sure.

Chris Johnson will be a star in all aspects of the game, and maybe soon. If Paul Williams truly is better than CJ, man oh man this team is set at the 2 and 3 spots not only this year, but for 4 years. Wright and Little have the 4, Kurt and Devin the 5.

Even without Benson, this team is going potentially 11 deep. That's why this injury doesn't concern me too much. It hurts because Benson would have contributed more than Fab imo, but it can be overcome.

jdm2000
10-31-2008, 06:30 AM
jcubspoe, do you think Fabrizius will still redshirt with Benson out for the year?

jcubspoe
10-31-2008, 11:53 AM
jcubspoe, do you think Fabrizius will still redshirt with Benson out for the year?

No, I don't think he will now...I think before the JB injury one of them was likely to RS. Kind of the same situation X was in with the 3 PGs....with Lyons being ruled inelgible this year, the RS problem took care of itself.

MADXSTER
11-02-2008, 09:57 PM
That's a shame.

In my own little world I had Benson being the top incoming player for UD.

XU 87
11-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Stick him with Kavanaugh and the 2009 newcomers look to be strong in the paint.

From what I've read, Benson has some upside and might be a decent player down the road. But I've read and heard the exact opposite about Kavanaugh. Isn't he the guy UD stole from Miami (the college in Ohio, not the NFL team)?

Cheesehead
11-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Does Jimmie Binnie have any eligibility left? He is due for a good season.

AdamtheFlyer
11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
From what I've read, Benson has some upside and might be a decent player down the road. But I've read and heard the exact opposite about Kavanaugh. Isn't he the guy UD stole from Miami (the college in Ohio, not the NFL team)?

You read the wrong things.

Benson was a top 150 recruit on ESPN. Decent will be a bit of a letdown with him, especially now with the redshirt. He's got all the tools to be a very good player, he just needs some meat on those bones.

Kavanaugh is an underrated big prospect. Thuggins did all he could to steal him from UD, including popping into Centerville unnanounced several times after Kav verballed. Watching him play several times against good HS competition last year, I actually think he's a better player than Huelsman right now as a HS senior. His offensive game is very skilled. He can score face up or with the back to the bucket, and he can shoot out to 15 feet. He's pretty quick for his size, and can put the ball on the floor which surprised me.

XU 87
11-03-2008, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=AdamtheFlyer;63104]
Kavanaugh is an underrated big prospect.

I actually think he's a better player than Huelsman right now as a HS senior.

/QUOTE]

As for the first sentence, I think UD fans said the same thing about Binnie, London Warren, James Cripe, the kid you stole from IUPUI, and a bunch of other UD recruits who I can't remember.

As for the second sentence, to say that he's a better player than that stiff Huelsman isn't saying much.

AdamtheFlyer
11-03-2008, 04:55 PM
As for the first sentence, I think UD fans said the same thing about Binnie, London Warren, James Cripe, the kid you stole from IUPUI, and a bunch of other UD recruits who I can't remember.

As for the second sentence, to say that he's a better player than that stiff Huelsman isn't saying much.

I'm Adam, not Dayton fans. Judge me on what I say, not others.

Huelsman is a solid A10 big, especially on defense. Kavanaugh is just as strong as Kurt, more skilled, and far more athletic. I was skeptical until I saw the mugging a very big and very athletic Princeton team gave him last year in the tourney. They were triple teaming him from the time he crossed half court. Kav had something like 26 and 14.