PDA

View Full Version : Interview with A10 Commish

MADXSTER
07-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Bernadette McGlade recently gave an interview noted on Chalktalk.

http://collegechalktalk.com/general/exclusive-interview-with-new-a-10-commissioner-bernadette-mcglade-2/

Talks about a little about Conference Goals, Bruno, A10 exposure, and membership change

waggy
07-19-2008, 04:43 PM
These types of interviews are almost worthless. Didn't learn anything except everyone is working for and essentially hoping for growth. One easy way the league could increase their exposure is to develop a little RPI type formula for ranking their teams due to problems associated with unbalanced schedules. It would play no part in actually ranking the teams, but could be listed next to their rankings and would serve to raise interest, discussion, and hits on the A10 site. And it costs absolutely nothing.

Juice
07-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Is the conference going to continue to schedule like they did last year with the tiers? I thought it was a pretty good idea and would like to see it continue.

Muskie
07-20-2008, 11:43 AM
These types of interviews are almost worthless. Didn't learn anything except everyone is working for and essentially hoping for growth. One easy way the league could increase their exposure is to develop a little RPI type formula for ranking their teams due to problems associated with unbalanced schedules. It would play no part in actually ranking the teams, but could be listed next to their rankings and would serve to raise interest, discussion, and hits on the A10 site. And it costs absolutely nothing.

At least he got the interview (unlike some other sites). What is she really supposed to say three days into the job (when that interview took place)?

wkrq59
07-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Some observations:
*The questions were too damn complicated, elongated and vague. Thus the answers were the same.
*Considering she'd only been on the job a few days, why even conduct the interview?
*Given the aforementioned, why not ask straight-forward questions with the idea of saying, "We'd like you to consider these questions and give us two answers, one now and one say two months from now."
*Almost every question was softball. The membership question--Why not: "Commissioner, have you given any consideration to improvement of the league by dropping two under-performing schools which really have little hope of significant approval in the next two years?"
I will say one thing, though, the lady can tap dance better than her predecessor. Hopefully she'll make some significant changes for the better and do it quickly.:D

Muskie
07-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Some observations:
*The questions were too damn complicated, elongated and vague. Thus the answers were the same.
*Considering she'd only been on the job a few days, why even conduct the interview?
*Given the aforementioned, why not ask straight-forward questions with the idea of saying, "We'd like you to consider these questions and give us two answers, one now and one say two months from now."
*Almost every question was softball. The membership question--Why not: "Commissioner, have you given any consideration to improvement of the league by dropping two under-performing schools which really have little hope of significant approval in the next two years?"
I will say one thing, though, the lady can tap dance better than her predecessor. Hopefully she'll make some significant changes for the better and do it quickly.:D

The one specific question he had posted was about SLU? I had no idea that was such a hot button topic.

wkrq59
07-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Neither did I...Thought LaSalle, St. Bonaventure or even---gasp--Fordham, but St. Louis???? Maybe they want in CUSA where they really couldn't compete.

GoMuskies
07-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Maybe they want in CUSA where they really couldn't compete.

I don't think they'd have much trouble competing in today's C-USA.

But that league isn't for non-football playing institutions anymore.

muskienick
07-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Geographically the Bills are probably better suited for the MVC but they passed up that opportunity when they were invited to join the A-10 along with Charlotte.

Muskie
07-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Geographically we're better suited to play in the Horizon or Summit Leagues. It doesn't mean we should. Someone over at Billikens.com said it best a little while back. We can either play games in Carbondale, Terre Haute, and Omaha, or we can play games in Cincinnati, New York, and Washington D.C.

It's my understanding that both SLU and X want to draw students from the east coast (which was one of the reasons for joining the A-10).