PDA

View Full Version : Does XU get St. Joe's NCAA credits?

Section 200
04-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Since St. Joe's was awarded an NCAA bid due to the 2 wins over XU (including the A10 scheduled trap game that the visitor never wins senior night/last game ever in the gym), do we get to keep the $200,000? Seems like the hawk rode our generosity to the tourney!! We could use that $$ to keep Miller.

xu95
04-01-2008, 09:41 PM
The money that Xavier made will be disbursed amongst the other schools, so yes, we will get some of their money.

xu95

Muskie
04-01-2008, 10:12 PM
What in the world?

boozehound
04-02-2008, 07:57 AM
I think it's total crap that teams like St. Bonaventure get money when X or SJU go to the NCAA tournament.

ATL Muskie
04-02-2008, 08:03 AM
http://www.nndb.com/people/740/000029653/karl-marx-MED.jpg

GoMuskies
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I think it's total crap that teams like St. Bonaventure get money when X or SJU go to the NCAA tournament.

We could go to the old Metro Conference formula where Louisville kept all their national TV and NCAA Tournament money.

Muskie
04-02-2008, 09:40 AM
It'd be one thing if some of the other schools appeared to be using the money to get better. I just don't see a uniform commitment form some teams. However, since they're part of the "old guard" nobody wants to do anything to them. It's my biggest gripe with the A-10.

X-band '01
04-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Basically, the A-10 adds up all the NCAA credits that the conference earned. This year, the A-10 earned 6 credits - 4 by Xavier, 1 by Temple, and 1 by SJU. They divide the total by 14 to disburse to all 14 schools equally over the next 6 years.

And you wonder why we get pissed at administrations like La Salle and Fordham who make a minimal commitment to their basketball programs while getting in line for NCAA money like pigs in a trough.

joebba
04-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Basically, the A-10 adds up all the NCAA credits that the conference earned. This year, the A-10 earned 6 credits - 4 by Xavier, 1 by Temple, and 1 by SJU. They divide the total by 14 to disburse to all 14 schools equally over the next 6 years.

And you wonder why we get pissed at administrations like La Salle and Fordham who make a minimal commitment to their basketball programs while getting in line for NCAA money like pigs in a trough.

Weee.. Weeee.. Oink!

http://www.podomatic.com/mymedia/thumb/35071/120x120_276294.jpg

Juice
04-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I know this has been gone over before, but how much does each credit add up to?

KC4X
04-07-2008, 08:06 PM
I thought there was a change recently to disburse the money/credits according to a teams' success rate in getting/winning in the tourney? I thought it was an accumulation of credits over a period of time so that eventually a team could earn nothing if they had no appearances over a certain number of years. Maybe that's wishful thinking or was mentioned as a proposal but not implemented.

hipsterdoofus
04-07-2008, 08:16 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080320/SPT0102/803200373/1065/SPT

http://www1.ncaa.org/finance/revenue_distribution_plan

Go to section #5:

The basketball fund provides for money to be distributed to Division I conferences based on their performance in the Division I Men's Basketball Championship over a six-year rolling period (for the period 2001-2006 for the 2006-07 distribution). Independent institutions receive a full unit share based on its tournament participation over the same rolling six-year period. The basketball fund payments are sent to conferences and independent institutions in mid-April each year.
One unit is awarded to each institution participating in each game, except the championship game. In 2005-06, each basketball unit was approximately $164,000 for a total $122.8 million distribution.
In 2006-07, each basketball unit will be approximately $177,000 for a total $132.6 million distribution.
For the purpose of distributing the basketball fund, a conference is defined as one that comprises at least six member institutions that have been classified in Division I for the eight preceding academic years. If a conference falls below the six-member requirement, the basketball fund money is retained by the conference for a one-year period only.
The following policies also apply when a conference's membership changes or realignment occurs:
If an institution leaves a conference and realigns with another and its original conference remains in operation, the units it earned remain with the conference that it left.
If an institution leaves a conference and realigns with another and its original conference remains in operation, the units it earned remain with the conference that it left.
If an institution leaves a conference to become an independent, the units that institution earned are retained by the conference that it left.
If an independent institution joins a conference, it retains the unit(s) it earned as an independent prior to the date it elected to join the conference; any units the institution earns subsequent to that date accrue to the conference.
If a conference disbands, each institution retains the units it earned in the basketball fund.
If an institution leaves a conference and the conference falls below the six-member requirement, the units remain with the conference for a one-year period; however, if the conference then later disbands, those units return to the basketball fund.
If 50 percent or more of the member institutions in a given conference leave the conference simultaneously and the remaining conference membership falls below six member institutions, the conference shall be considered disbanded and each member institution shall retain the units it earned in the basketball fund as if the conference had in fact disbanded (for the purposes of the basketball fund distribution).No conference will lose all of its units if it is represented in the tournament by an institution that later is declared ineligible. In this situation, the number of units in the basketball pool would be reduced to one. [By way of example, assume that Conference A is represented in the tournament by only one institution (the automatic qualifier), and that it advances to the Final Four, thereby earning five units. If the institution subsequently is declared ineligible, the number of units will be reduced to one. In another scenario, assume that the conference is represented by two teams (one automatic qualifier and an at-large team), and one of the teams subsequently is declared ineligible. Its units will be completely vacated; the units earned by the other team will be unaffected.]
Conferences are urged, but not required, to distribute money from the basketball fund equally among all their member institutions.

yougotdbagged
04-08-2008, 07:42 AM
If you go by the 2006-07 numbers, each school gets about $70,285 for this year if divided evenly. However since it is skewed based on participatation over the last 6 years then St. Joe's, Xavier, and GW should get most of it with Richmond, Temple, and Dayton getting a cut.