PDA

View Full Version : Darius Bazley - SF

Muskie
05-01-2017, 07:31 AM
Has reopened his recruiting after de-committing from OSU.

Princeton High School
6'7; 185

https://youtu.be/LR5PqjDmlJI

ammtd34
05-01-2017, 08:35 AM
X was the first to offer after he decommitted.

GoMuskies
05-01-2017, 08:38 AM
This video says he's a freshman, so I guess it is a couple of years old. It struck me that he was playing well below the rim most of the time, but perhaps that's changed in the past two years.

ammtd34
05-01-2017, 08:47 AM
https://youtu.be/ztRMYF7C5DU

That's from 2 weeks ago. He has since changed AAU teams.

Muskie
05-01-2017, 09:15 AM
This video says he's a freshman, so I guess it is a couple of years old. It struck me that he was playing well below the rim most of the time, but perhaps that's changed in the past two years. I literally picked the first one I found.

GoMuskies
05-01-2017, 09:21 AM
https://youtu.be/ztRMYF7C5DU

That's from 2 weeks ago. He has since changed AAU teams.

Thanks. He's no Dez Wells, but he is clearly much more athletic in this video.

xudash
05-01-2017, 09:23 AM
At the moment, any of the 4 programs in the article are better choices than that of OSU and playing for Thud. Who could blame Darius?

Thud Matta!

X Factor
05-01-2017, 09:29 AM
Thanks. He's no Dez Wells, but he is clearly much more athletic in this video.

He's 6'8 and can handle the ball way better than Dez ever could. Darius is very skilled.

GoMuskies
05-01-2017, 09:41 AM
He's 6'8 and can handle the ball way better than Dez ever could. Darius is very skilled.

Yeah, I don't mean he's not as good as Dez (have no idea). Just not as athletic based on highlight vids.

nuts4xu
05-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Just not as athletic based on highlight vids.

And highlight vids ALWAYS provide a full accurate picture of the skills and talents of the subject in the video. ((sarcasm font))

GoMuskies
05-01-2017, 10:04 AM
And highlight vids ALWAYS provide a full accurate picture of the skills and talents of the subject in the video. ((sarcasm font))

Who says they do? But highlight vids have been posted. Can we not talk about them? The first video I don't think he got within a foot of the rim. The second one he has obviously filled out and is much more athletic/explosive. But he's definitely no Dez Wells. Dez was the gold standard in that particular category for Xavier recruits.

paulxu
05-01-2017, 10:09 AM
I like that he scores with either hand, and that he follows his own shot to the rim.

surfxu
05-01-2017, 11:20 AM
At the 56 second mark and the 2:12 mark I noticed he jumped off of one foot.

GoMuskies
05-01-2017, 11:23 AM
At the 56 second mark and the 2:12 mark I noticed he jumped off of one foot.

So he's already ahead of Sato!

BandAid
05-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I don't mean he's not as good as Dez (have no idea). Just not as athletic based on highlight vids.

Ya, highlight reels suck for assessing a kid.

But highlight reels always include dunks - which help in assessing leaping ability - which is an aspect of athleticism.

And Dez can jump better than Darius. That is in no way a knock on Darius. Dez can jump better than most everybody.

GIMMFD
05-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Hell if he can contribute and live up to his 4 star billing and ends up being a Xavier player I don't give a damn. If he can come in and have a quality few years, lead us to new heights??? Why not??

AviatorX
06-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Ongoing debate about the merits of highlight videos aside, it's hard to watch these two recent ones and not think this guy can really play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmYJf8_FaU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHfY2l1V6Oc

AviatorX
06-27-2017, 11:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmYJf8_FaU

DexterBailey84
06-27-2017, 03:55 PM
But he's definitely no Dez Wells. Dez was the gold standard in that particular category for Xavier recruits..

that's crazy talk.....just recent history here, Ed was definitely more athletic than Dez was.

IM4X
06-30-2017, 04:40 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OyXLSJ-nD-c

Think it's worth watching the high school reel of Dez again.

Think we all can appreciate how lightning fast and extremely athletic Ed is... still... Coming out of high school, Dez had a more impressive reel. He was the most dominant, most athletic looking recruit Xavier ever landed (at the time of commitment).

muskienick
06-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Darius Bazely --- are we mentioned as the (or a) favorite to get him as part of our class of 2018? I see where he visited Syracuse a couple of days ago and was being courted by Purdue, Florida, UC and us. Or is he just going to start this process all over from scratch and open it up completely?

AviatorX
06-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Darius Bazely --- are we mentioned as the (or a) favorite to get him as part of our class of 2018? I see where he visited Syracuse a couple of days ago and was being courted by Purdue, Florida, UC and us. Or is he just going to start this process all over from scratch and open it up completely?

Xavier, Indiana, Louisville and Syracuse. UC has no shot/isn't even recruiting him.

If UK ends up wanting him they'll get him.

94GRAD
07-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Committed to Syracuse today

xu82
07-03-2017, 02:24 PM
I'm ready for some GOOD news!

I get the appeal of many of the schools we compete against. Syracuse is not one of them.

XMuskieFTW
07-03-2017, 02:35 PM
I'm ready for some GOOD news!

I get the appeal of many of the schools we compete against. Syracuse is not one of them.

Who doesn't want to play in a football stadium?

AviatorX
07-03-2017, 02:37 PM
Wow. That one is surprising. Thought he would stay closer to home with 3 really good local options. Also surprised he didn't play out July after taking himself off the market so early the first time.

ArizonaXUGrad
07-03-2017, 03:09 PM
Wow. That one is surprising. Thought he would stay closer to home with 3 really good local options. Also surprised he didn't play out July after taking himself off the market so early the first time.

Also, Syracuse isn't a team like they used to be. He won't be so assured of an NCAA tourney berth with them being on the way down.

X Factor
07-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Losing out on Swider and Bazely kinda hurts. Thought we were in good with both of these kids. Need some recruiting momentum. Lots of kids committing thsi summer.

RyanblockXU
07-03-2017, 04:06 PM
If we lose out on trevion Williams, It will be 3 strike outs in a role. Those shitty crystal balls on 247 are predicting Purdue. He looks like the second coming of Caleb swanigan. But I hope we get him.

However the bigs situation doesn’t concern me as much. Mack has shown a knack for snagging good pf/c transfers and making them successful.

Part of the bad thing about recruiting mostly top 75 kids is that your competing with the best. And you will strike out a lot more. If x strikes out on their top 6 targets , do they hurry up and try to get in with some 3 star guy or back end 4 stars. Or try to fill needs with transfers so you don’t end up with guys you don’t want on 4 years scholarships.

I wonder if kids aren’t committing this class because they aren’t sure how long Mack will be at Xavier. His name was al over th sports site as a candidate for a few jobs. Even if his intent to stay, kids could still be unsure

bleedXblue
07-03-2017, 04:44 PM
If we lose out on trevion Williams, It will be 3 strike outs in a role. Those shitty crystal balls on 247 are predicting Purdue. He looks like the second coming of Caleb swanigan. But I hope we get him.

However the bigs situation doesn’t concern me as much. Mack has shown a knack for snagging good pf/c transfers and making them successful.

Part of the bad thing about recruiting mostly top 75 kids is that your competing with the best. And you will strike out a lot more. If x strikes out on their top 6 targets , do they hurry up and try to get in with some 3 star guy or back end 4 stars. Or try to fill needs with transfers so you don’t end up with guys you don’t want on 4 years scholarships.

I wonder if kids aren’t committing this class because they aren’t sure how long Mack will be at Xavier. His name was al over th sports site as a candidate for a few jobs. Even if his intent to stay, kids could still be unsure

No. Coaches at top programs get offered jobs all of the time. Some like Boeheim could retire at any time.

xu82
07-03-2017, 06:44 PM
No. Coaches at top programs get offered jobs all of the time. Some like Boeheim could retire at any time.

Yeah, two huge jobs just got filled and he apparently had no interest. Now, could a top 5 job open up? Could he get some love there? Always a possibility. I'm just thrilled with the incoming class coming off an Elite Eight finish. Add in Trevon returning? Maybe they worry about minutes, but more likely we just don't get them all, and ours will sign up in time. In the long run, trust this staff.

X Factor
07-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Swider and Bazely wouldn't have to worry about Tre or JP because they'll be gone when they get to campus.

AviatorX
07-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Maybe that's what they are selling at Purdue, but let's not go crazy here.

ArizonaXUGrad
07-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Swider and Bazely wouldn't have to worry about Tre or JP because they'll be gone when they get to campus.

Swider and Bazely would have to worry about Marshall and Harden. Like it or not guys, we just landed a pretty fantastic 5 man class. That is a lot of young talent and will affect the desire for subsequent classes to commit.

casualfan
07-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Swider and Bazely would have to worry about Marshall and Harden. Like it or not guys, we just landed a pretty fantastic 5 man class. That is a lot of young talent and will affect the desire for subsequent classes to commit.

It's more likely they would compete for time with Ridder than Harden.

GIMMFD
07-05-2017, 02:36 PM
It's not time to panic yet guys, we lost out on two, but even then recruiting is so spotty, we have no idea what's going to happen until the LOI is signed. We signed an impressive 5 man class, and I have full faith in Mack & Co to recruit at a high level. They always seem to find guys who fit, I wouldn't worry just yet. Recruiting is a very hot and cold thing, I believe we're still in a good position.

XU3232
07-05-2017, 03:22 PM
We also missed out on Coleman-Lands... it was a rough week. Still plenty of really good options out there though... getting Jerome Hunter would be huge.

casualfan
07-05-2017, 03:25 PM
We also missed out on Coleman-Lands... it was a rough week. Still plenty of really good options out there though... getting Jerome Hunter would be huge.

For what it's worth I keep hearing Michigan for Hunter.

AviatorX
07-05-2017, 04:00 PM
For what it's worth I keep hearing Michigan for Hunter.

The more distance from his "surprise" visit to Ann Arbor without a commitment the better for X, one would think.

July eval period started today, correct?

casualfan
07-05-2017, 04:37 PM
The more distance from his "surprise" visit to Ann Arbor without a commitment the better for X, one would think.

July eval period started today, correct?

I believe it's the 12th.

mistabeecee41
03-29-2018, 02:41 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-top-10-draft-pick-make-leap-high-school-g-league-193725979.html

GoMuskies
03-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Sometimes when you lose, you really win.

smileyy
03-29-2018, 03:01 PM
I'd love to see more of this.

scoscox
08-28-2018, 01:13 AM
Bazley's questionable decision making continues

noteggs
08-28-2018, 07:41 AM
Wow who’s giving this kid advice?

GoMuskies
08-28-2018, 08:24 AM
Wow who’s giving this kid advice?

“It’s mainly me talking to [agent] Rich [Paul], he knows so much, and whenever he speaks my ears perk up. When Miles [Bridges] was in Cleveland for his predraft workouts, whenever he got a chance to work out in front of NBA teams, I was working out in the gym, too. So that played a part in it, me playing well in those workouts for us to say there’s no upside in the G League. If you play well, it’s expected. If you don’t play well, you’re not NBA-ready. That’s what they’ll say. For me, working out and preparing is the best route.

noteggs
08-28-2018, 09:13 AM
“It’s mainly me talking to [agent] Rich [Paul], he knows so much, and whenever he speaks my ears perk up. When Miles [Bridges] was in Cleveland for his predraft workouts, whenever he got a chance to work out in front of NBA teams, I was working out in the gym, too. So that played a part in it, me playing well in those workouts for us to say there’s no upside in the G League. If you play well, it’s expected. If you don’t play well, you’re not NBA-ready. That’s what they’ll say. For me, working out and preparing is the best route.

Guess I put that on a tee for you lol

Muskie
08-28-2018, 09:42 AM
After reading some articles it looks like he performed poorly at some camps and many believed he would pull out of the G League because of fear he would be exposed by G League Caliber players. So instead he's going to train for a year (against lesser players I guess)? To hopefully avoid the fate of Mitchell Robinson who sat out the year (remember when he was a Hilltopper for 10 seconds), got drafted in the 2nd Round by the Knicks and now has a Two-Way contract which means he'll play mostly in the G-League...

Xville
08-28-2018, 11:20 AM
He should have gone to college, but after making that poor decision, his best route probably is sitting out a year, hoping that a team will draft him based off potential rather than exposing himself in the g league.

Muskie
08-28-2018, 01:05 PM
He should have gone to college, but after making that poor decision, his best route probably is sitting out a year, hoping that a team will draft him based off potential rather than exposing himself in the g league.

I agree that's his best scenario. I think the more likely scenario is a 2nd Round draft pick and maybe a two-way which would mean he's in the G League.

ArizonaXUGrad
08-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Didn't his choice get made for him because of grades?

scoscox
08-31-2018, 02:17 AM
I haven't heard anything to suggest that was a determining factor.

mistabeecee41
09-06-2018, 09:10 AM
man, what an ass Boeheim is.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Spatola/status/1037692889751584768

Xville
09-06-2018, 09:16 AM
man, what an ass Boeheim is.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Spatola/status/1037692889751584768

I agree boeheim is an ass but not for this. All he did was tell the truth..and while it may be harsh, it's the absolute truth. We need a lot more of harsh truth and less coddling in this world.

mistabeecee41
09-06-2018, 09:28 AM
I agree boeheim is an ass but not for this. All he did was tell the truth..and while it may be harsh, it's the absolute truth. We need a lot more of harsh truth and less coddling in this world.

he lost the first 5 star recruit he's gotten in years and shit all over an 18 year old kid because he's bitter, not because he's trying to give him tough love.

XUGRAD80
09-06-2018, 09:40 AM
he lost the first 5 star recruit he's gotten in years and shit all over an 18 year old kid because he's bitter, not because he's trying to give him tough love.

How did he “shit all over” him? And at 18 he is old enough to fight in wars, vote, drive, marry, and just about anything else (short of drink and smoke legally) any adult can do. If he is old enough to do those things, he’s old enough to admit his mistakes. Which...when he was asked....is what Beohm says he should do. I agree. Beohm didn’t attack him. He didn’t call him any names...like stupid, lazy, greedy, etc. He said that Beasley made a mistake and is not physically ready to play in the G-league. Don’t let your own bias against him keep you from seeing the wisdom he expoused.

There are a lot of 18 year olds that aren’t physically ready to compete at the higher levels of sport, but don’t realize it until they try. Sometimes they give up other options that they are better suited for, in order to take the chance that they can compete at those higher levels. When they leave themselves no other option, and find they can’t complete, they have made a mistake in judgement. Boehm called it like it is in his estimation. Let’s see if Beasley is mature enough to admit it and move forward.

Xville
09-06-2018, 10:03 AM

How did he shit all over him? All he did was Express his opinion in relation to his development as a basketball player, which by everything that has been said by multiple outlets is the absolute truth.

ArizonaXUGrad
09-06-2018, 11:11 AM
How did he shit all over him? All he did was Express his opinion in relation to his development as a basketball player, which by everything that has been said by multiple outlets is the absolute truth.

The idea is that other 5* recruits might see this and not want to play for him. I guess when you are on the clock and just have a few years left you can say what you want.

Xville
09-06-2018, 11:25 AM
The idea is that other 5* recruits might see this and not want to play for him. I guess when you are on the clock and just have a few years left you can say what you want.

This may well be true, but That's a completely different argument.

sirthought
09-07-2018, 06:20 AM
I have no issues with the way the coach stated it, nor what he said.

And I think high schoolers too will respect that this coach will be straight with his opinions when asked.

XUGRAD80
09-07-2018, 06:32 AM

Coach may have been sending a message to the current players on his team too. The other recruits may well respect him for his honesty, and chances are they even agree with him about Beasley. It’s a comment that I’ve heard Calipari make about his own players before, and that seems to have to have not hurt KY’s ability to attract 5* recruits. I’m pretty just about any coach has said this about a player, doesn’t matter what sport we are talking about either. It’s pretty common on this board too...how many here have said the exact same thing about a Xavier player? Even very recently? Much ado about nothing.

Smails
09-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Didn't his choice get made for him because of grades?

I have it on pretty good authority that the kid was a non-qualifier. I'm actually surprised it isn't more well circulated... He was never going to play for Syracuse

ArizonaXUGrad
09-07-2018, 02:37 PM
I have it on pretty good authority that the kid was a non-qualifier. I'm actually surprised it isn't more well circulated... He was never going to play for Syracuse

That is what I heard as well which makes Boeheim's comments more odd. If the kid wasn't playing, why trash him after the fact.