PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Big East Off Season

Muskie
04-05-2016, 01:00 PM
With Villanova's win last night, it's finally the off-season in the Big East.

Villanova
In: Omari Spellman (PF); Dylan Painter (C) Eric Paschell (TR-Ford)
Out: Ochefu (SR); Lowe (Sr); Arcidiacono (Sr); Farrell (Sr); Rafferty (Sr)

Xavier
In: Quentin Goodin (PG); Tyrique Jones (PF); Eddie Ekiyor (PF); Gaston (Sr- Transfer)
Out: Farr (Sr); Abell (Sr); Coker (Sr);

Butler
In: Joey Brunk (C); Howard Washington (PG); Kamar Baldwin (SG); Henry Badley (SF)
Out: Ehterington (Grad St); Jones (Sr); Dunham (Sr);

DePaul
In: Al Eichelberger (PF); Brandon Cyrus (SG); Devin Gage (PG); Levi Cook (C)
Out: Stimage (Sr); Henry (Sr); DOlins (Sr); Simpson (Sr); Barry (Fr-TR); Phillips (FR-Tr); Scott (FR-TR)

Seton Hall
In: Myles Powell (SG)
Out: Anderson (Sr); Gordon (Sr)

St. John's
In: Shamorie Ponds (SG); Bashir Ahmed (SF); Richard Freudenberg (SF)
Out: Johnson (Sr); Balamou (Sr); Mvouika (Sr)

Georgetown
In: Jagan Mosley (SG); Jonathan Mulmore (PG)
Out: Williams (Sr); Hayes (Sr); Smith-Rivera (Sr);

Creighton
In: Davon Mintz (PG) Marcus Foster (G) (TR-KState)
Out: Milliken (SR); Grosselle (Sr)

Marquette:
In: Sam Hauser (SF); Brendan Bailey (SF) Markus Howard (G)
Out: Mache (Sr) H. Ellenson (NBA-Agent)

Providence:
In: Malik White (PG)
Out:

GoMuskies
04-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Wow, that's a bummer that Gaston is out before he was ever in. :)

XMuskieFTW
04-05-2016, 02:01 PM
3 freshman out for DePaul.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2016/3/30/11331264/depaul-transfers-oumar-barry-develle-phillips-fred-scott

X-band '01
04-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Villanova will also have Fordham transfer Eric Paschall eligible next season.

scoscox
04-05-2016, 02:05 PM
3 freshman out for DePaul.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2016/3/30/11331264/depaul-transfers-oumar-barry-develle-phillips-fred-scott

Don't see why Leitao didn't see fit to let them get a few more minutes this year. Their frontcourt was awful.

Masterofreality
04-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall and probably Creighton will be good. Butler and Georgetown will be ok. Marquette is a question. St. John's, DePaul and Providence will suck. Bentil ain't coming back, IMO.

Xville
04-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall and probably Creighton will be good. Butler and Georgetown will be ok. Marquette is a question. St. John's, DePaul and Providence will suck. Bentil ain't coming back, IMO.

Agreed with all except Creighton. Why do you think Creighton will be good? I'm just curious...losing two starters and not really having anyone come in this year from an 18 win team. I know Huff and Watson is there but to me that is about all they have it seems like. I could be wrong on that though...maybe some of their reserves this year will step up.

AviatorX
04-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Agreed with all except Creighton. Why do you think Creighton will be good? I'm just curious...losing two starters and not really having anyone come in this year from an 18 win team. I know Huff and Watson is there but to me that is about all they have it seems like. I could be wrong on that though...maybe some of their reserves this year will step up.

They had a highly ranked big guy redshirt this year and Marcus Foster (talented transfer from K-St.) will be eligible, on top of bringing back some really good pieces. Huff and Watson will be tough next season.

Xville
04-05-2016, 03:01 PM
They had a highly ranked big guy redshirt this year and Marcus Foster (talented transfer from K-St.) will be eligible, on top of bringing back some really good pieces. Huff and Watson will be tough next season.

Ahh gotcha...was not aware of the redshirt big man or the transfer. Thanks!

Muskie
04-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Wow, that's a bummer that Gaston is out before he was ever in. :)

Sorry. They just have him listed as a Senior and not a Transfer. I've fixed it.

Muskie
04-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Is there any reason Kris Dunn or Ben Bentil would come back?

GoMuskies
04-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Is there any reason Kris Dunn or Ben Bentil would come back?

Would miss Providence strip clubs too much if they left?

XUMIOH12
04-06-2016, 09:27 AM
add Markus Howard to "IN" at Marquette. reclassified to 2016 a couple days ago and will be on the team 16-17

XMuskieFTW
04-06-2016, 09:52 AM
add Markus Howard to "IN" at Marquette. reclassified to 2016 a couple days ago and will be on the team 16-17

That's a big get for them. They now have the #85 and #97 players from the 2016 class and what was the #32 player from 2017 coming in this offseason.

My question on Marquette is do they have ANY bigs? They have a 6'10 255 guy who played 5 mins a game averaging 1 and 1 who will be a sophomore, but other than him the only guy taller than 6'6 will be the incoming freshman who is 6'8 185 and listed as a small forward. Do they have any transfers I don't know about or are they just going to have zero size?

Muskie
04-06-2016, 10:04 AM

Added. Thanks.

Muskie
04-06-2016, 10:08 AM
That's a big get for them. They now have the #85 and #97 players from the 2016 class and what was the #32 player from 2017 coming in this offseason.

My question on Marquette is do they have ANY bigs? They have a 6'10 255 guy who played 5 mins a game averaging 1 and 1 who will be a sophomore, but other than him the only guy taller than 6'6 will be the incoming freshman who is 6'8 185 and listed as a small forward. Do they have any transfers I don't know about or are they just going to have zero size?

If we assume H Ellenson is gone (though not official), they have Matt Heldt (6-10 C) and Luke Fischer (6-11 C) returning.

xukeith
04-06-2016, 10:09 AM

Marquette and Providence look to have a good roster for next season. In fact most of BE looks deep and solid. Hope BE an have best OOC record !

THRILLHOUSE
04-06-2016, 10:15 AM
If we assume H Ellenson is gone (though not official)

Ellenson is official. He's signing with an agent.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/374670131.html

XMuskieFTW
04-06-2016, 10:18 AM
If we assume H Ellenson is gone (though not official), they have Matt Heldt (6-10 C) and Luke Fischer (6-11 C) returning.

Ahh for some reason I thought Fischer was a Senior this year. Didn't know he had one year left. They should in play for a tourney spot next year.

Masterofreality
04-06-2016, 11:28 AM
Marquette and Providence look to have a good roster for next season. In fact most of BE looks deep and solid. Hope BE an have best OOC record !

Providence? Where? Dunn is leaving and Bentil most probably will. They were extremely thin on depth this year and their two stars are leaving, mot probably. They do have a 4 star rated PG coming in, but he is a, ahem, a Freshman.
If Ben comes back, I'll revise my opinion, but there isn't much on that roster left to grab on to...other than maybe Bullock and Lindsey (inconsistent) and I'm a big fan of Ed Cooley.

scoscox
04-06-2016, 11:33 AM

Luke Fischer is a stud. They will be good.

XUMIOH12
04-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Ahh for some reason I thought Fischer was a Senior this year. Didn't know he had one year left. They should in play for a tourney spot next year.

yeah, Marquette is starting to put some good pieces together in the back court right now. They just dont seem to have much depth up front right now though. Should be a bubble type team next year i would guess.

I will also end my 1,000th post with a big LETS GO X!!!

XUMIOH12
04-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Providence? Where? Dunn is leaving and Bentil most probably will. They were extremely thin on depth this year and their two stars are leaving, mot probably. They do have a 4 star rated PG coming in, but he is a, ahem, a Freshman.
If Ben comes back, I'll revise my opinion, but there isn't much on that roster left to grab on to...other than maybe Bullock and Lindsey (inconsistent) and I'm a big fan of Ed Cooley.

yeah if Dunn and Bentil are both gone for Providence, they could struggle next year. Maybe not even NIT worthy with what that roster would be.

Muskie
04-06-2016, 01:18 PM

I will not miss him next year. He was a lot to handle, and he got the extra calls from the officials.

JTG
04-06-2016, 01:55 PM
I will not miss him next year. He was a lot to handle, and he got the extra calls from the officials.

He had Duke type douchieness to him....oh wait, his coach is from Duke.

Masterofreality
04-06-2016, 03:56 PM

He had Duke type douchieness to him....oh wait, his coach is from Duke.

His jerk brother Wally is back next year though.

novachap
04-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Hart and Jenkins just declared.... no surprise I guess with the new rules. Might as well test the waters. Don't see Jenkins as a first rounder / guaranteed cash, Hart, who knows? It really is the smart thing to do for all these guys.

Masterofreality
04-06-2016, 04:49 PM
Hart and Jenkins just declared.... no surprise I guess with the new rules. Might as well test the waters. Don't see Jenkins as a first rounder / guaranteed cash, Hart, who knows? It really is the smart thing to do for all these guys.

Doubt they'll go. Just like Trevon Bluiett. Jalen R is more problematic for us. I'd say 50/50.

bigdiggins
04-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Doubt they'll go. Just like Trevon Bluiett. Jalen R is more problematic for us. I'd say 50/50.

50/50? I'll take those odds. Heck I'll give you two beers to one nachos at the first game next season he is gone.

LA Muskie
04-06-2016, 05:55 PM

There's optimistic. And then there's this. Jalen's gone dude. Maybe there's a sliver if hope. But it's nothing remotely close to 50/50.

XMuskieFTW
04-06-2016, 08:24 PM
The only reason I have any hope in Jalen coming back is the fact that he hasn't gotten an agent yet. Even so I'm thinking it's about a 5-10% chance.

bobbiemcgee
04-06-2016, 08:31 PM
I expected him to pull the trigger faster than the confetti guy at the NC.

scoscox
04-06-2016, 10:11 PM
I honestly think Jalen will come back.

Masterofreality
04-07-2016, 05:45 AM
There's optimistic. And then there's this. Jalen's gone dude. Maybe there's a sliver if hope. But it's nothing remotely close to 50/50.

Dude, Could Jalen have hired an agent? Yes
Did Jalen hire an agent that would certainly assist him in getting drafted and getting a pro deal? NO

50/50, but I'm glad that you are telegraphically connected with Jalen's brain though.

xu82
04-07-2016, 06:36 AM
I expected him to pull the trigger faster than the confetti guy at the NC.

That guy had a hair trigger, didn't he?

I'm a little surprised Jalen didn't line up an agent already, but I have zero idea what that foretells.

AviatorX
04-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Dude, Could Jalen have hired an agent? Yes
Did Jalen hire an agent that would certainly assist him in getting drafted and getting a pro deal? NO

50/50, but I'm glad that you are telegraphically connected with Jalen's brain though.

So under that line of thought, is Bluiett 50/50 too? Or are there other factors that might go into the decision pushing the percentage either way?

Milhouse
04-07-2016, 08:07 AM
Under that logic my chances of winning the lottery are 50/50 as well.

bigdiggins
04-07-2016, 08:55 AM

Walk-ons from Kentucky must be 50/50 as well.

XUMIOH12
04-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Everybody is 50/50!

muskiefan82
04-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Everybody is 50/50!

And day to day.

XMuskieFTW
04-07-2016, 09:19 AM

X-ceptional
04-07-2016, 09:21 AM

You either win it... or you don't. 50/50!

muskiefan82
04-07-2016, 09:28 AM

Muskie
04-07-2016, 09:33 AM

You of course can't win if you don't play though!

gladdenguy
04-07-2016, 09:53 AM
I honestly think Jalen will come back.

He gone

Xville
04-07-2016, 10:07 AM
He gone

I don't doubt you because I don't know one way or the other. However, if he is gone, what the heck is taking him so long to announce it? I mean its been two and a half weeks.

XUFan09
04-07-2016, 10:15 AM
I don't doubt you because I don't know one way or the other. However, if he is gone, what the heck is taking him so long to announce it? I mean its been two and a half weeks.
He probably wants to leave that door open right now, even if most likely he won't take it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LA Muskie
04-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Delete

LA Muskie
04-07-2016, 10:20 AM
He probably wants to leave that door open right now, even if most likely he won't take it.

Exactly. 50/50.

paulxu
04-07-2016, 10:36 AM
Everybody may be 50/50.

Not everybody promised a FF.

XMuskieFTW
04-09-2016, 10:54 PM
Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 9m9 minutes ago Kentucky, USA

USC transfer Katin Reinhardt told Scout he committed to Marquette. Averaged 11.4 points a game last season.

Big get for Marquette. I really think they're a tourney team next year.

Masterofreality
04-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 9m9 minutes ago Kentucky, USA

USC transfer Katin Reinhardt told Scout he committed to Marquette. Averaged 11.4 points a game last season.

Big get for Marquette. I really think they're a tourney team next year.

Yep, sorry. He 's a grad transfer so he can play right away. Helps the league get stronger.

vee4xu
04-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Jalen will be 24 next season. On one hand he should get on with his life, which will not include NBA basketball. It could include Euro or Asian basketball, but no way NBA basketball. He has no game outside of five feet of the basket, he's not a prolific shot blocker, he doesn't pass well from the post and his hands are okay. He can jump very well and can stick back offensive rebounds. None of this sounds like the recipe for an NBA career to me. On the other hand, since he really won't get appreciably better in basketball, the argument is that he's a good college player and he should stay to make one more run at a Final 4 while working on his MBA. He'll get much farther with that MBA than any career in the NBA. One letter in an acronym makes a very big difference, doesn't it?

Thor in 204
04-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Jalen will be 24 next season. On one hand he should get on with his life, which will not include NBA basketball. It could include Euro or Asian basketball, but no way NBA basketball. He has no game outside of five feet of the basket, he's not a prolific shot blocker, he doesn't pass well from the post and his hands are okay. He can jump very well and can stick back offensive rebounds. None of this sounds like the recipe for an NBA career to me. On the other hand, since he really won't get appreciably better in basketball, the argument is that he's a good college player and he should stay to make one more run at a Final 4 while working on his MBA. He'll get much farther with that MBA than any career in the NBA. One letter in an acronym makes a very big difference, doesn't it?

If my memory is correct, I think what Jalen has said is that he will be pursuing a graduate degree. As long as there is no news that he has changed that perspective, I think the question is whether he will get his graduate degree here or at another school.

RoseyMuskie
04-10-2016, 01:14 PM
If my memory is correct, I think what Jalen has said is that he will be pursuing a graduate degree. As long as there is no news that he has changed that perspective, I think the question is whether he will get his graduate degree here or at another school.

Jalen will be at Xavier, or playing professionally. The likelihood of him transferring and playing elsewhere is virtually zero.

XUFan09
04-10-2016, 03:31 PM

- He has a game outside of 5 feet. It's not a fantastic game, but no one ever said he's a stretch 4. His midrange shot is decent and it helps his rip-and-go scoring.
- He actually passes pretty well from the post. Early in the season, he struggled with regular double teams but once he acclimated to that, he became effective as a passer again. He's above-average for his position but not great.
- You're underrating his rebounding and dunking ability with the bland "he can jump very well."

Also, your post seems to imply that an NBA post player needs to be versatile, when that is not necessarily true. Quite a few NBA players have made a living from grabbing rebounds, dunking the ball, and possessing a reasonable midrange jumper. Heck, the jumper isn't even a real requirement. Jalen is most likely playing somewhere other than the NBA not because he isn't versatile but because he hasn't been dominant on a consistent basis in the areas he's good at.

He still will make a six figure salary in Europe or China, and that will carry him pretty far financially. The theoretical MBA can wait until after his playing days are over, as there are only a limited number of years to make money from basketball. If he comes back, it will be a personally motivated decision, not a professional one.

vee4xu
04-10-2016, 06:10 PM
- He has a game outside of 5 feet. It's not a fantastic game, but no one ever said he's a stretch 4. His midrange shot is decent and it helps his rip-and-go scoring.
- He actually passes pretty well from the post. Early in the season, he struggled with regular double teams but once he acclimated to that, he became effective as a passer again. He's above-average for his position but not great.
- You're underrating his rebounding and dunking ability with the bland "he can jump very well."

Also, your post seems to imply that an NBA post player needs to be versatile, when that is not necessarily true. Quite a few NBA players have made a living from grabbing rebounds, dunking the ball, and possessing a reasonable midrange jumper. Heck, the jumper isn't even a real requirement. Jalen is most likely playing somewhere other than the NBA not because he isn't versatile but because he hasn't been dominant on a consistent basis in the areas he's good at.

He still will make a six figure salary in Europe or China, and that will carry him pretty far financially. The theoretical MBA can wait until after his playing days are over, as there are only a limited number of years to make money from basketball. If he comes back, it will be a personally motivated decision, not a professional one.

We see his skill set differently, but differences of opinion are what make the world go round. So, no argument from me, just a difference of opinion. I do agree with your last paragraph in total, however.

XUFan09
04-10-2016, 06:30 PM
We see his skill set differently, but differences of opinion are what make the world go round. So, no argument from me, just a difference of opinion. I do agree with your last paragraph in total, however.
Eh, believe what you want. Starting a basketball career a year later does mean on average a year lost in income over the career, though. That's not a difference of opinion; it's simply a fact.

He will most likely make far more money per year playing basketball than anything that would utilize the MBA, even when you account for actually paying for the MBA (which may or may not be true). So, his total lifetime income is likely to be higher leaving now than leaving a year from now, UNLESS he were to significantly improve his initial salary negotiating position through his performance this next season to more than offset the year lost. I believe you said yourself that he is who he is already, so it seems that you do not think that possibility is likely. Also, he could just as likely improve his salary negotiating position after his rookie season too.

This doesn't even take into account the immediate lifestyle difference between a six-figure salary with just basketball and no salary with both classes and basketball.

vee4xu
04-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Eh, believe what you want. Starting a basketball career a year later does mean on average a year lost in income over the career, though. That's not a difference of opinion; it's simply a fact.

He will most likely make far more money per year playing basketball than anything that would utilize the MBA, even when you account for actually paying for the MBA (which may or may not be true). So, his total lifetime income is likely to be higher leaving now than leaving a year from now, UNLESS he were to significantly improve his initial salary negotiating position through his performance this next season to more than offset the year lost. I believe you said yourself that he is who he is already, so it seems that you do not think that possibility is likely. Also, he could just as likely improve his salary negotiating position after his rookie season too.

This doesn't even take into account the immediate lifestyle difference between a six-figure salary with just basketball and no salary with both classes and basketball.

Not sure what you're talking about, but I wasn't in any form or fashion comparing making an MBA with how much money one can make playing professional basketball here or anywhere else. And this is a fact, too. So believe what you want.

XUFan09
04-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Not sure what you're talking about, but I wasn't in any form or fashion comparing making an MBA with how much money one can make playing professional basketball here or anywhere else. And this is a fact, too. So believe what you want.

You said: "He'll get much farther with that MBA than any career in the NBA." Why else would one want to earn an MBA except for professional reasons? It's not like the degree is a good in itself, something to pursue just for the sake of the study. So, though I agreed about his chances in the NBA specifically, I also couched the worth of an MBA earned right now in his likely overall professional goals. Again, because no one pursues an MBA except for professional reasons. The sum total of getting an MBA now, like you suggest, is:

1) Likely less money
2) Likely less time actually in the career he dreams of, basketball.

Unless you think an MBA is pursued for its own sake.

GIMMFD
04-10-2016, 08:04 PM
You said: "He'll get much farther with that MBA than any career in the NBA." Why else would one want to earn an MBA except for professional reasons? It's not like the degree is a good in itself, something to pursue just for the sake of the study. So, though I agreed about his chances in the NBA specifically, I also couched the worth of an MBA earned right now in his likely overall professional goals. Again, because no one pursues an MBA except for professional reasons. The sum total of getting an MBA now, like you suggest, is:

1) Likely less money

Is there an MBA program that could help him after his basketball career though? If there is, and he loves this X team, and wants to fulfill his Final 4 promise, then sure he could be back. At the end of the day we could think through this as logically as we want, but he's going to make the decision that benefits him the most, and what's right for him at the time. Either way, he's been a entertaining Musketeer to watch, and I wish him the best no matter what he chooses.

vee4xu
04-10-2016, 08:07 PM

1) Likely less money

Whatever. I don't care. You can talk about it with yourself. Seemingly, you're the only person you understand, so might as well.

XUFan09
04-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Is there an MBA program that could help him after his basketball career though? If there is, and he loves this X team, and wants to fulfill his Final 4 promise, then sure he could be back. At the end of the day we could think through this as logically as we want, but he's going to make the decision that benefits him the most, and what's right for him at the time. Either way, he's been a entertaining Musketeer to watch, and I wish him the best no matter what he chooses.
It's pretty easy to find an MBA after his basketball career, if he actually wants to do that. I could see him wanting to fulfill that Final Four promise, though, and all credit to him if that personal decision trumps professional motivations.

XUFan09
04-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Whatever. I don't care. You can talk about it with yourself. Seemingly, you're the only person you understand, so might as well.
Lol whatever, man. Go ahead and keep thinking that somehow an MBA (that could be earned at any time, anyway) is worth postponing and potentially shortening a basketball career.

XMuskieFTW
04-10-2016, 09:51 PM
He said he wanted to open a barber shop after he's done with basketball. Hopefully X has an MBA program for that.

Juice
04-10-2016, 10:25 PM
Lol whatever, man. Go ahead and keep thinking that somehow an MBA (that could be earned at any time, anyway) is worth postponing and potentially shortening a basketball career.

Even with a MBA, he would be making significantly more money in Europe than a college grad with a MBA at 24-25 years old. But education is very important I guess, even if it means turning down better opportunities that pay more, are located in cool locations, are playing a game as a job.

XUFan09
04-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Even with a MBA, he would be making significantly more money in Europe than a college grad with a MBA at 24-25 years old. But education is very important I guess, even if it means turning down better opportunities that pay more, are located in cool locations, are playing a game as a job.

Yep, exactly. What's funny is that even in the context of earning the MBA, it would be better to do it after finishing a basketball career. In an MBA program, a person learns very practical skills that need to be directly applied to the business world in order to be worthwhile. It seems kind of silly to go through that process of taking MBA classes, only to slowly forget the acquired knowledge over the course of a 5- to 10-year basketball career. Heck, not even slowly. Most information would probably be forgotten in the first couple years after completing the program if it was not directly used in a job.

novachap
04-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Jenkins confirmed he will be back at Nova next year, not surprising news. Getting a read from scouts on what he needs to work on. Now, the Hart watch.

muskiefan82
04-15-2016, 08:53 AM
He said he wanted to open a barber shop after he's done with basketball. Hopefully X has an MBA program for that.

Masters in Barbering Activities. Not a well known program, but X has a co-op within the men's basketball program.

XMuskieFTW
04-17-2016, 11:05 PM
Former Robert Morris G Rodney Pryor is transferring to Georgetown.

Should be a nice addition to Georgetown. He's available for this coming season.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3133971/rodney-pryor

XMuskieFTW
04-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Avery Woodson to Butler. He will be available immediately. Him and Kethan Savage could both start for Butler and make them a pretty good looking team with Kelan.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/62504/avery-woodson