PDA

View Full Version : St. Joseph's Not a Lock

yougotdbagged
03-15-2008, 11:46 PM
If I were St. Joe's I would be a little nervous come 6 tonight. Their 1 big OOC win was Villanova, who if in will be sitting somewhere between a 10-12 seed. Losses to Holy Cross, LaSalle and SLU at home and at Duquesne may not impress the committee either. Their RPI and SOS fall about 20 spots behind Dayton, not to mention carrying an OOC SOS of 132. If Georgia and/or Illinois win tomorrow, that could be St. Joesph's spot.

Kahns Krazy
03-16-2008, 12:16 AM
currently, St. Joes is 41 in the RPI and Dayton is 35.

yougotdbagged
03-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Sos is Dayton 25, SJU 51 didn't realize the Rpi was that close

GuyFawkes38
03-16-2008, 12:57 AM
I have been ranting about how the selection committee doesn't care about how a school performs in solely conference play.

But with the preference of St. Joes over Dayton, maybe I'm wrong. It does appear that St. Joes is given the edge over UD due to their better performance in conference play and the conference tourney.

yougotdbagged
03-16-2008, 12:59 AM
I agree Dayton's conference play puts them 4th, maybe 5th in the A10 as far as the selections go. All they have going for them at this point are the Pitt, Louisville, and SJU wins

GuyFawkes38
03-16-2008, 01:04 AM
I agree Dayton's conference play puts them 4th, maybe 5th in the A10 as far as the selections go. All they have going for them at this point are the Pitt, Louisville, and SJU wins

Yeah, it will be interesting if the Selection Committee take SJU over UD. If that happens, then you can ignore the SC's statements that conference play doesn't matter. With the experts predicting SJU getting a bid over UD, I have doubts about the SC's sincerity about the irrelevance of conference play.

THRILLHOUSE
03-16-2008, 01:58 AM
you can certainly make the argument that UD should get in over SJU but I think SJU's 2 wins over XU and getting to the A10 finals will push them in over UD.

D-West & PO-Z
03-16-2008, 02:41 AM
I have been ranting about how the selection committee doesn't care about how a school performs in solely conference play.

But with the preference of St. Joes over Dayton, maybe I'm wrong. It does appear that St. Joes is given the edge over UD due to their better performance in conference play and the conference tourney.

They dont care about it soley, but they care about it, because hasnt there never been a team with a conference record under .500 in the tourney?

vee4xu
03-16-2008, 07:46 AM
I agree with P-OZ. A sub-.500 conference record is enough of a case for ud to be near the bottom of at-large teams in this year's field. There at too many other more worthy choices ahead of them with conference records above .500, SJU among them. ud has two good wins, Pitt and Louisville and both came a long time ago. SJU has beaten X twice in 8 days and that was pretty much within the past two weeks.

SJU without a doubt. I would also make the case that UMass is a better A-10 choice that ud.

Muskie
03-16-2008, 09:55 AM
That UD stat is misleading... the UD team of today is not the same UD that racked up those quality wins early in the season.

mr. zimpher
03-16-2008, 10:19 AM
That UD stat is misleading... the UD team of today is not the same UD that racked up those quality wins early in the season.

Exactly. What some on here (and alot of UD fans) are failing to take into account is the injury factor. Dayton is going to be judged heavily on their performance without Chris Wright which was downright abysmal. They had their shot, if they beat us on Thursday they probably would be in. 0-3 against the best team on your schedule just won't cut it. Dayton was .500 in the 7th rated RPI conference and finished 8th, again, not going to cut it. A-10 gets three bids, X, Temple, and St. Joe's (maybe the last at-large).

XU Fan
03-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Dayton fans can bitch about getting snubbed, but at the same time they would claim they are a great team with Chris Wright playing. Newsflash: Chris Wright isn't playing. When he is out they are average at best and suck at worst. If he's going to be out you have to evaluate that part of their season as the primary data sheet for them. They are not near the bubble if you look at what they've done without Wright. I don't understand the bitching. Do their fans not understand that the committee has to consider Dayton without Wright when determining bids and seeds?

Kahns Krazy
03-16-2008, 11:22 PM
At this point, I think St. Joes is pretty much a lock. LH would tell me I'm premature.