PDA

View Full Version : Majerus sounds off about his first Season in the A-10 and College Basketball

Muskie
03-13-2008, 02:27 PM
From the local Atlantic City fishwrap (http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/126/story/105380.html).

"And even scholastically, we play too many games in college basketball. I really believe that. And I'm not saying that because we lost. But conference tournaments? To me, this is the hypocrisy of all hypocrisies relative to academics. We take these kids out of school for a week during exam week, and have them come out here."

XU05and07
03-13-2008, 02:30 PM
He is annoying...he is out of touch...he should go back to ESPN and sit on his a$$

xeus
03-13-2008, 02:32 PM
What the hell is he even talking about?

dc_x
03-13-2008, 02:34 PM
It's just hypocritical for a guy making $1 million per year to be complaining that college basketball has become too much of a business.

College basketball could cut back on games, tournaments, and corporate sponsors, but guys like Rick Majerus better be willing to give back HUGE chunks of their salary.

wkrq59
03-13-2008, 02:44 PM
It's just hypocritical for a guy making $1 million per year to be complaining that college basketball has become too much of a business.

College basketball could cut back on games, tournaments, and corporate sponsors, but guys like Rick Majerus better be willing to give back HUGE chunks of their salary.

You couldn't be more right. I am hearing Majerus is getting a lot of flak from SLU alumni who are asking what happened to the things their schol stands for? Face it. He should not have lost to Dayton. He just can't coach his kids to a close victory. If Kevin Lish doesn't bomb away from beyond NBA range, the Xavier game is an X blowout win

xeus
03-13-2008, 02:44 PM

And since Majerus uses that money to buy Cheetos, pot roasts, turkey legs, canned hams, cookies, and other goodies, I don't see him willing to give back any of that salary.

XU05and07
03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
And since Majerus uses that money to buy Cheetos, pot roasts, turkey legs, canned hams, cookies, and other goodies, I don't see him willing to give back any of that salary.

That's just breakfast...that's a lot of money spent on food each day

Kahns Krazy
03-13-2008, 03:04 PM

"And you call them steamed hams, despite the fact that they are obviously grilled".

I thought fatty was going to big an asset to the league. I have reversed that opinion.

joebba
03-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Majerus is looking like a buffoon this year plain and simple.

ATL Muskie
03-13-2008, 07:46 PM
"And even scholastically, we play too many games in college basketball. I really believe that. And I'm not saying that because we lost. But conference tournaments? To me, this is the hypocrisy of all hypocrisies relative to academics. We take these kids out of school for a week during exam week, and have them come out here."

More than anything it's just more complaining about SLU being in an East Coast league. We've heard it before. Despite what he says about it having nothing to do with losing, he doesn't like having to go all the way out to AC to lose. If they want to stay in a midwestern league then have at it.

Cheesehead
03-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Het, you guys needs to back off of Majerus. He just has low metabolism.

Mark 3 Pointer
03-14-2008, 07:24 AM

WOW this guy has some balls... Talk about hypocrisy. Someone who is preaching about how taking student athletes out of school to play basketball is wrong, yet two days ago took the scholarships away from four student athletes because they weren't playing basketball well enough! This guy is seriously delusional.

DAllen15
03-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Knight had a similar opinion on ESPN Radio this morning. He said that he'd eliminate the conf. tournaments and give the NCAA invitees that much more time to rest and prepare for the tournament. He said that for every school that plays its way into the NCAA via the conf. tourney, another school plays its way out, so the whole process is really a wash.

He's aware of the financial reasons behind the tourneys, which is why it's unlikely to be changed anytime soon.

vee4xu
03-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey, if he doesn't wanna drag his fat ass to AC, then tell his team to end up as one of the last two teams in the standings and he can stay home, drink beer, eat pizza, fart and watch the games on TV. Wait a minute, the games are on CSTV, so he'll have trouble watching the games. But, that shouldn't stop him from doing all of the other stuff I listed with his free time.

Fred Garvin
03-15-2008, 02:03 AM
Knight had a similar opinion on ESPN Radio this morning. He said that he'd eliminate the conf. tournaments and give the NCAA invitees that much more time to rest and prepare for the tournament. He said that for every school that plays its way into the NCAA via the conf. tourney, another school plays its way out, so the whole process is really a wash.

He's aware of the financial reasons behind the tourneys, which is why it's unlikely to be changed anytime soon.

Actually I saw Knight on ESPN assert this position when it was Indiana and he was usually already in the tourney. When pressed he agreed he felt differently at lowly Texas Tech.

And I mean "lowly" relatively. Texas Tech made the toureny four times when he was there, how many times did UD make it in that time?