PDA

View Full Version : Classic XU Game TRADE Thread

xufan2020
01-31-2015, 09:56 PM
I started a similar thread (under Men's Basketball) like this in May of 2014 when I joined the board and selfishly made it about my personal wants. But I thought it would be a good idea to start a new one that had the idea of involving anybody on the board who wants to partake.

Got a favorite XU game(s) in your memory? Post it and see if anybody would be willing to set up some sort of trade in which you could get a copy of said game(s).

Retire33
02-02-2015, 08:29 AM
I would still like to see the Umass game again. To this day that is the loudest sporting event I've ever attended; and it's not even close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xufan2020
02-02-2015, 05:53 PM
I would still like to see the Umass game again. To this day that is the loudest sporting event I've ever attended; and it's not even close.

Ahhhh, the UMass game. I was nothing more than an embryo when that game took place, but my dad told me how epic of a game that was, even though X lost. Thanks for replying though, I personally do not have a copy of that game.

D-West & PO-Z
02-02-2015, 06:08 PM

I have no games to trade but I would love to see that game as well and the '99 crosstown shootout and I would also love to see the Creighton (West vs Korver) NYE game again too.

Leghorn
02-02-2015, 06:24 PM
1989 - Xavier 115 Loyola Marymount 113 in OT. 34 and 20 for Tyrone Hill and 24 and 24 for Derek Strong. It was just before Hank Gathers died. LMU went to the Elite 8 that year.

xufan2020
02-02-2015, 06:29 PM
I have no games to trade but I would love to see that game as well and the '99 crosstown shootout and I would also love to see the Creighton (West vs Korver) NYE game again too.

I actually think that the Creighton game was not actually broadcasted by a channel, maybe I'm wrong. There is this however, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDHIiMOg1SY

D-West & PO-Z
02-02-2015, 07:10 PM
I actually think that the Creighton game was not actually broadcasted by a channel, maybe I'm wrong. There is this however, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDHIiMOg1SY

That was awesome, thanks for sharing. Korver was amazing, I think only 1 other guy took a shot in that 12 min clip. Luckly we had DFW. I was at that game, so awesome.

Love the guy at the end yelling "guard 25! guard 25!"

D-West & PO-Z
02-02-2015, 07:13 PM
What was the game where David West tipped in a missed free throw at either the buzzer or with like very little time left to win the game? I think it was against a crappy team we should have beat bad. Anyone remember what I am talking about?

JAPER
02-02-2015, 07:31 PM
vs George Washington. Don't know exact year. West a junior or senior I believe.

peace.

SlimKibbles
02-02-2015, 09:42 PM

It was not on tv. At least not on any channel we'd normally watch X on back then. Maybe it was broadcast locally in Omaha. I was stuck at a NYE party at my house while my parents, my aunt, and my uncle went to the game. Wasn't happy about missing the West-Korver matchup.

D-West & PO-Z
02-02-2015, 09:56 PM
Crazy to think that game wasnt on TV. Two top 20 teams. Not to mention XU is on TV every game now. We have come a long way friends.

SlimKibbles
02-02-2015, 10:21 PM
1989 - Xavier 115 Loyola Marymount 113 in OT. 34 and 20 for Tyrone Hill and 24 and 24 for Derek Strong. It was just before Hank Gathers died. LMU went to the Elite 8 that year.

That one and the game out in LA in 1988 between the two teams I'd love to watch again. The game @ LMU was actually on tv. The only reason I remember that is because my family got a new TV that day and my dad and I watched the game on it.

Masterofreality
02-03-2015, 09:31 AM
What was the game where David West tipped in a missed free throw at either the buzzer or with like very little time left to win the game? I think it was against a crappy team we should have beat bad. Anyone remember what I am talking about?

It was against George Washington- on 3/1/2003..and they weren't horrible, but they did finish 12-17 then went to the NIT the next year. They were a developing young team with Pops Mensa Bonsu and Mike Hall as freshmen- both of whom eventually went to the NBA.

D-West & PO-Z
02-03-2015, 09:57 AM
vs George Washington. Don't know exact year. West a junior or senior I believe.

peace.

It was against George Washington- on 3/1/2003..and they weren't horrible, but they did finish 12-17 then went to the NIT the next year. They were a developing young team with Pops Mensa Bonsu and Mike Hall as freshmen- both of whom eventually went to the NBA.

Thanks.

Anyone remember the exact circumstances? Was it a tip in at the buzzer off a missed free throw as I remember? I know I was at the game and it was looking like we were going to lose. Just cant remember for sure if that is what happened.

X-Fan
02-03-2015, 10:14 AM

That game was amazing. Crazy loud, and the lid below off the Gardens when Darnell Williams got the opening tip and Dunked It! Impressive that UMASS handled that atmosphere and found a way to get it to OT and win. Crazy good team. Fun times!

usfldan
02-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks.

Anyone remember the exact circumstances? Was it a tip in at the buzzer off a missed free throw as I remember? I know I was at the game and it was looking like we were going to lose. Just cant remember for sure if that is what happened.

It was off a regular shot, but he barely got a finger tip on the ball and barely before the light/buzzer went off, so it was under review for a very long time. Xavier was down one at the time, so if they waived off the basket, GW wins; if they count it, XU wins. From what I remember, Xavier had a long winning streak going at the time, too.

Here is the game story from the Enquirer:

http://www.enquirer.com/xavier/2003/03/02/wwwxu1a2.html

and this: http://enquirer.com/xavier/2003/03/02/wwwxu2a2.html (I guess there were no water fountains around).

Mrs. Garrett
02-03-2015, 12:58 PM
1994 Crosstown Shootout. The one where we won in OT and Huggins wouldn't shake Pete's hand. That was my freshman year and first Shootout.

D-West & PO-Z
02-03-2015, 01:05 PM
It was off a regular shot, but he barely got a finger tip on the ball and barely before the light/buzzer went off, so it was under review for a very long time. Xavier was down one at the time, so if they waived off the basket, GW wins; if they count it, XU wins. From what I remember, Xavier had a long winning streak going at the time, too.

Here is the game story from the Enquirer:

http://www.enquirer.com/xavier/2003/03/02/wwwxu1a2.html

and this: http://enquirer.com/xavier/2003/03/02/wwwxu2a2.html (I guess there were no water fountains around).

Awesome, thank you.

D-West & PO-Z
02-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Did we have a game sometime in the 2000's, maybe after West where our winning shot was off a tip off a missed free throw? I am not sure why that is so stuck in my mind? I wanna say maybe against Wofford or a similar team? Am I crazy or anyone know what I might be talking about?

PMI
02-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Did we have a game sometime in the 2000's, maybe after West where our winning shot was off a tip off a missed free throw? I am not sure why that is so stuck in my mind? I wanna say maybe against Wofford or a similar team? Am I crazy or anyone know what I might be talking about?

If memory serves me, something along these lines happened (I want to say either Wofford or Western Michigan when they had Stainbrook) back in Mack's second or third year, early on in the season. Then of course there was the David West tip in against GW with a fraction of a second left.

94GRAD
02-03-2015, 01:19 PM

Jamel tipped it in to send it to overtime where we won.

Masterofreality
02-03-2015, 01:20 PM

Wofford. We REALLY lucked out on that one.

D-West & PO-Z
02-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Jamel tipped it in to send it to overtime where we won.

Wofford. We REALLY lucked out on that one.

If memory serves me, something along these lines happened (I want to say either Wofford or Western Michigan when they had Stainbrook) back in Mack's second or third year, early on in the season. Then of course there was the David West tip in against GW with a fraction of a second left.

Yeah I thought it was against Wofford, thanks. I think at that time too my buddy's brother was on Wofford, a St. X grad.

Jeez....I must be getting old, that wasnt that long ago. Cant believe I couldnt think of it.

xufan2020
02-03-2015, 07:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw4bdreXQ80

I know most people will remember this game, but how many people remember the mascot taunting a dump player? Funny stuff!
BTW, if anyone has this game archived... PM me!

paulxu
02-03-2015, 07:57 PM
A DFW highlight reel!

Masterofreality
02-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Watching a lot of these old games makes you appreciate that Dedrick Finn was a pretty damn good player...until his senior year.

kyxu
02-04-2015, 07:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw4bdreXQ80

I know most people will remember this game, but how many people remember the mascot taunting a dump player? Funny stuff!
BTW, if anyone has this game archived... PM me!

During one of my years in the student section in an XU vs UD slugfest, I witnessed the D'Artagnan mascot taunting Keith Waleskowski's dad, who was sitting behind the UD bench. Papa Waleskowski couldn't take it for very long, so he stood up, started screaming at the mascot, then flipped him off in front of the world. Mrs. Waleskowski was so embarrassed, she pulled down her husband, and scolded him in front of everyone. Domestic matters in public are hilarious.

If anyone has game tape of that, I will send you a blank check.

Masterofreality
02-04-2015, 08:06 AM
During one of my years in the student section in an XU vs UD slugfest, I witnessed the D'Artagnan mascot taunting Keith Waleskowski's dad, who was sitting behind the UD bench. Papa Waleskowski couldn't take it for very long, so he stood up, started screaming at the mascot, then flipped him off in front of the world. Mrs. Waleskowski was so embarrassed, she pulled down her husband, and scolded him in front of everyone. Domestic matters in public are hilarious.

If anyone has game tape of that, I will send you a blank check.

Waleskowski's Dad also used to show up on the Messageboards. I can't remember what his handle was.

Waleskowski was also recruited by X. I can't recall the actual reason why he didn't come- whether Skip pulled the scholly offer after he got David Freaking West to sign, or whether Waleskowski just reneged on Xavier after he saw DWest there, but I have a feeling it was the latter. We wound up with a late signee Kahlil Nixon, to fill the roster out in the same position, but Kahlil only played 5 games. Waleskowski's dad was a real trip.

In a twist of Irony, know where Keith Waleskowski works now after playing Euro ball for 9 years? Cintas......

Yep, Cintas. HA! Owned AGAIN!

RealDeal
02-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Waleskowski's dad posted that if Dwest got drafted he would eat his hat. I went up to him in the stands after Dwest dropped 48 and 17 on his son and asked him if he was ready to eat his hat yet. He didn't answer.

PMI
02-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Man, Mr. Waleskowski was one immature, embarrassing dude. I wish Pablo and his brother were still around to tell some of the stories about that guy...

Masterofreality
02-12-2015, 03:02 PM
When people freak out at the start of basketball games, remember that VDump was leading the DWest 47 point game 6-0 after 2 minutes and 13-6 after 6 minutes.

Even worse, it was 22-8 after 8:30 minutes and 28-13 after 11 minutes.

xsteve1
02-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Waleskowski's Dad also used to show up on the Messageboards. I can't remember what his handle was.

Waleskowski was also recruited by X. I can't recall the actual reason why he didn't come- whether Skip pulled the scholly offer after he got David Freaking West to sign, or whether Waleskowski just reneged on Xavier after he saw DWest there, but I have a feeling it was the latter. We wound up with a late signee Kahlil Nixon, to fill the roster out in the same position, but Kahlil only played 5 games. Waleskowski's dad was a real trip.

In a twist of Irony, know where Keith Waleskowski works now after playing Euro ball for 9 years? Cintas......

Yep, Cintas. HA! Owned AGAIN!

X never recruited Keith Waleskowski they recruited his brother who I believe went to Florida St.

toledodan
02-16-2015, 11:56 PM
X never recruited Keith Waleskowski they recruited his brother who I believe went to Florida St.

correct we recruited adam