PDA

View Full Version : Majerus to Revoke 4 Scholarships

dc_x
03-11-2008, 11:11 AM
SLU's message board has a thread saying that a local radio station is reporting that Majerus will be revoking the scholarships of 4 players for next year:

Dustin Maguire (Soph, has not played all season)
Adam Knollmeyer (Soph, 6 mpg, 1 ppg)
Anthony Mitchell (Frosh, 5 mpg, 0 ppg)
Marcus Relphorde (Frosh, 5 mpg, 1 ppg)

billikens.com (http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14671)

This means that SLU will only return 4 scholarship players for next year.

Maybe these 4 players are not talented. Maybe they don't fit Majerus's system. But it seems a little dirty to revoke scholarships for reasons other than academics or discipline.

Emp
03-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Two of them are his recruits?? Talk about cuthroat. Why do I think Majerus is not planning on being there long?

What kind of parent will let a kid go there? Bad news in the long run for SLU and the A10.

GoMuskies
03-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Majerus is a prick. College basketball was better off with him out of it.

He's a helluva coach, though, and he'll have SLU competing for the A-10 title sooner rather than later.

American X
03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
By 'revoke' they meant 'ate.' He ate 4 scholarship players. Wish it included Lisch.

Muskie
03-11-2008, 12:17 PM
The majority of SLU fans over at Billikens.com seem content with this decision.

Here's the specific thread (http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14671).

xavierj
03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Majerus is a prick. College basketball was better off with him out of it.

He's a helluva coach, though, and he'll have SLU competing for the A-10 title sooner rather than later.

He's a hell of a coach? Good coaches don't lose by 20 at home to The Bonnies and then turn around and lose by 30 to Duquesne not to mention the 30 point beating they took from GW. So rick and SLU lost by a combined 50 points to the 2 worst teams (Bonnies/GW) in the league and the guy is a hell of a coach? I think the guy is extremly overrated not to mention irrational.

DC Muskie
03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
He's never had a losing season and he took Utah to the Championship game.

GoMuskies
03-11-2008, 01:09 PM
xavierj, if Majerus doesn't eat himself to death first (a real possibility), I guarantee you that Majerus will have SLU among the top teams in the league in the next couple of years. He's just got to get his own players in there (which he is clearly ready to do come hell or high water).

Muskie
03-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Also... should probably make one thing clear. Majerus isn't "revoking" a scholarship. He's simply not renewing the four scholarships for the players mentioned. As we all know scholarships are renewed each year.

The title of the thread implies that all four had their scholarships taken away from them mid-season.

dc_x
03-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Also... should probably make one thing clear. Majerus isn't "revoking" a scholarship. He's simply not renewing the four scholarships for the players mentioned. As we all know scholarships are renewed each year.

The title of the thread implies that all four had their scholarships taken away from them mid-season.

Call it what you want, but it's pretty uncommon for a coach to not renew a scholarship simply based on a player's performance.

I would think that when a player accepts a scholarship, the university should honor it for 4 years as long as the player is academically eligible and does everything the coach asks of him.

To just tell a player after a year or 2 - "Sorry, you're not as good as we thought. Get out of here." - is a tad bit unethical.

It would be OK if Majerus sat down with these kid and told them that they weren't good enough to play at SLU and advise them that if they wanted a chance to play, they should transfer. But if they want to stay at SLU and sit on the bench, SLU should honor their scholarships.

I don't know all the details of Angelo Smith, Johnny Wolf, Boubacar Coly, and Dupree Lucas's transfers. But I am pretty confident that they weren't kicked to the curb like this.

I hope Majerus is going to help these kids transfer to other schools.

boozehound
03-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I wasn't even aware that you could do that. Seems a little $hitty to me. Unless they did something wrong, or violated team rules. I would think that this kind of behavior could hurt his recruiting in the long run.

Muskie
03-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Call it what you want, but it's pretty uncommon for a coach to not renew a scholarship simply based on a player's performance.

I would think that when a player accepts a scholarship, the university should honor it for 4 years as long as the player is academically eligible and does everything the coach asks of him.

To just tell a player after a year or 2 - "Sorry, you're not as good as we thought. Get out of here." - is a tad bit unethical.

It would be OK if Majerus sat down with these kid and told them that they weren't good enough to play at SLU and advise them that if they wanted a chance to play, they should transfer. But if they want to stay at SLU and sit on the bench, SLU should honor their scholarships.

I don't know all the details of Angelo Smith, Johnny Wolf, Boubacar Coly, and Dupree Lucas's transfers. But I am pretty confident that they weren't kicked to the curb like this.

Totally agree DC... just wanted to point out that interesting wrinkle.

boozehound
03-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I wasn't even aware that you could do that. Seems a little $hitty to me. Unless they did something wrong, or violated team rules. I would think that this kind of behavior could hurt his recruiting in the long run.

I agree completely. What kind of a message does this really send about your program? I can't recall ever hearing of a coach doing this. It seems very unethical. I understand that only a limited amount of scholarships are available, but come on? Where is the line? If a player suffers a career ending injury, or one that would render him of little use to the coach should they pull his scholarship?

I am a little surprised that SLU is letting this take place. These kids are student athletes, some of them just don't pan out, but I don't see other coaches dumping scholarships every year because a player isn't good enough.

Muskie
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
I agree completely. What kind of a message does this really send about your program? I can't recall ever hearing of a coach doing this. It seems very unethical. I understand that only a limited amount of scholarships are available, but come on? Where is the line? If a player suffers a career ending injury, or one that would render him of little use to the coach should they pull his scholarship?

I am a little surprised that SLU is letting this take place. These kids are student athletes, some of them just don't pan out, but I don't see other coaches dumping scholarships every year because a player isn't good enough.

SLU will have nine open spots now in 2009, If i did the math right.

dc_x
03-11-2008, 02:19 PM
SLU will have nine open spots now in 2009, If i did the math right.

Yes, they already had 5 scholarships open for next year and this gives them 4 more. They already have 5 guys committed for next year. I guess Majerus has a few more recruits lined up for next year as well.

2009 SLU Commits (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2008&School=76&Sport=2)

Stonebreaker
03-11-2008, 02:20 PM
I have a problem with coaches who don't have the same dedication to the kids that they demand from them. Big money in college sports drives the win or be gone mentality, from the fans, boosters, presidents, AD, and coach.
This is what makes X and ND special.......they get the best of both worlds (far more often than not).

Muskie
03-11-2008, 02:35 PM
The best argument i've seen made is that basically SLU has been trying to elevate their program since joining the A-10. They have a new Arena coming online, a bigger budget, and a name coach. They want to start achieving big things in the A-10 and on a national level. Some SLU fans think Majerus shouldn't be saddled with kids that were recruited by the previous system and that won't fit the system he has in place.

I buy that argument on one level, but i'm uneasy about it.

wkrq59
03-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I remember asking Pete one time why didn't he just not renew the kid's scholarship. His response was, "If that were to happen, I wouldn't be able to sign any kid. Period. Coaches at other schools would use that and parents wouldn't let us in their home."
He may have been over dramatic sbout the whole thing, but Majerus is playing the fool.
Thing is he's doing it with the absolute approval of the president of that university. Remember, he's the same president who fired the previous coach who'd had a 20-win season.
And Majerus' problems with the archbishop there haven't gone away.
But big Rick is safe as loing as that president remains in office. So Majerus better check to see what the Jesuits have in mind for that president.
Like many posters here I think Majerus will either eat himself into another heart attack or some other school will offer him a bundle of cash and he'll jump like a rabbit.

chico
03-11-2008, 04:32 PM
This is something Bob Huggins would do. I can't believe SLU's administration is allowing this to happen.

Billy
03-11-2008, 04:35 PM
This is my favorite Majerus story:

Majerus announced a LSU game, and he was incredibly impressed with Big Baby Davis. So Majerus goes up to him after the game. He told Big Baby that he was great, that he could be the next Karl Malone if he works hard, etc. Then an exchange took place between them:

Davis = "Can I ask you a question?"

Majerus = "Sure."

Davis = "Do you have a cookie."

Majerus = "Why do you think I have a cookie."

Davis = "Because you look like a guy who might have a cookie."

xudeltasig
03-11-2008, 04:47 PM
This is my favorite Majerus story:

Majerus announced a LSU game, and he was incredibly impressed with Big Baby Davis. So Majerus goes up to him after the game. He told Big Baby that he was great, that he could be the next Karl Malone if he works hard, etc. Then an exchange took place between them:

Davis = "Can I ask you a question?"

Majerus = "Sure."

Davis = "Do you have a cookie."

Majerus = "Why do you think I have a cookie."

Davis = "Because you look like a guy who might have a cookie."

That is absolutely hilarious!! That will keep me laughing all day! :D

Fred Garvin
03-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Wonder what SNipe thinks about this; he's a Majerus lover. Only problem is that Snipe was known for lambasting Huggins when he kicked Ace McGee to the curb.

Fred Garvin
03-11-2008, 04:59 PM
btw, these four kids didn't fit Majerus' system.i.e. they weren't avowed nudists.

PM Thor
03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I think this is pretty unethical. You don't just do this, it is bad form. I hope it bites Majerus in his big butt later down the line in recruiting.

94GRAD
03-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I think this is pretty unethical. You don't just do this, it is bad form. I hope it bites Majerus in his big butt later down the line in recruiting.

Why can't a coach let a player go if they are not helping the team reach the coaches goals? If a player can transfer for no reason, a coach should be able to not renew a scholarship.

Muskie
03-11-2008, 07:58 PM

Wow... a response here and on my thread on Snow's board... :D

xsteve1
03-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I guess my only question to the kids is do they want to stay at a school where they would never get to play? Majerus is an ass but St. Louis dumped a truck load of money to get him and they really need to be good to help pay for the new arena.....it may not be ethical but they've got a big investment to pay for on their hands.

Stonebreaker
03-11-2008, 08:09 PM
This is something Bob Huggins would do. I can't believe SLU's administration is allowing this to happen.

He may have done that, but Huggins was pretty loyal to his players. Not many of his former guys have much to say bad about him.

GoMuskies
03-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Not many of his former guys have much to say bad about him.

Of course not. You always say nice things about the guy who bails you out of jail.

nuts4xu
03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
I really have no issues with this. You can tell a kid he isn't going to play and encourage him to find another school, or you can be more direct, and tell him straight up he isn't a good fit.

I often felt Pete Gillen and Skip always had deadweight on their benches, guys that NEVER played. They would rot on the bench and play in mop up duty a few times a year like a walk on. Why bother? Why not just tell the kid, it isn't working out, and their scholly isn't going to be renewed.

I see nothing unethical about it. These are 1 year renewable scholarships. There are no guarantees about anything. No guarantees the coach will stay, no guarantees of playing time, no guarantees of NCAA tournaments, and no guarantees your ship will automatically be renewed each year. If you don't want these conditions, pay your own way to school.

D-West & PO-Z
03-11-2008, 09:07 PM

I completely disagree. These kids are getting FULL RIDES because they are supposed to perform well in basketball. Scholarships are not 4 year commitments. I have a community service scholarship at SLU, and I have certain requirements to fill, community service hours and GPA. If I am not as dedicated to service or smart in school as they thought I would be and I am not fulfilling my requirements they absolutely take that scholarship away from me the next year. Why should athletes be any different?

If you are a stud law student and the top law firm in the city hires you and you lose every case for a year, will they not fire you? Its not different, these kids are getting the equivalent of about $32,000 a year for school. Why should a guy who doesnt perform and does nothing but sit the bench still get to go to school free???

X-band '01
03-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Majerus will take a short-term PR hit for not renewing the scholarships; I suppose it would be worse if he were to do this sort of thing year in and year out. It's usually common knowledge that players look to transfer because 1)they want more playing time; 2)they can't get it at Institution A; 3)they could be cut if they decided not to take any action.

PM Thor
03-11-2008, 09:28 PM
I guess my problem is why is this so public? Why not do it behind closed doors, tell the kids they won't ever see the floor, and the best thing for them to do is transfer? What is with the grandiose announcement about it?

D-West & PO-Z
03-11-2008, 09:39 PM
I guess my problem is why is this so public? Why not do it behind closed doors, tell the kids they won't ever see the floor, and the best thing for them to do is transfer? What is with the grandiose announcement about it?

Its not like Majerus had a press conference about it. The media caught win. How? I dont know, maybe they talked to one of the players and asked why they wouldnt be back next season and they told them what happened. This was going to get out one way or another. Also this doesnt necessarily mean that all the kids will leave does it? I mean I'm sure most 2 or 3 will def. be gone, but I wouldnt be surprised to see Knollmeyer stay as a walk on and try to earn the scholly back. Then it would def get out that his was taken away when he is on the team as a walk on next year.

dc_x
03-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I completely disagree. These kids are getting FULL RIDES because they are supposed to perform well in basketball. Scholarships are not 4 year commitments. I have a community service scholarship at SLU, and I have certain requirements to fill, community service hours and GPA. If I am not as dedicated to service or smart in school as they thought I would be and I am not fulfilling my requirements they absolutely take that scholarship away from me the next year. Why should athletes be any different?

If you are a stud law student and the top law firm in the city hires you and you lose every case for a year, will they not fire you? Its not different, these kids are getting the equivalent of about $32,000 a year for school. Why should a guy who doesnt perform and does nothing but sit the bench still get to go to school free???

This is the equivalent of giving an academic scholarship and saying we will renew it as long as you maintain a 3.0 GPA. And then after a year where you had a 3.2 GPA, getting a call from the dean to inform you that 3.2 wasn't good enough and your scholarship is not getting renewed.

When you get a full ride for basketball, the requirements are that you stay eligible and do what the coach asks of you. Presumably, these kids were lifting weights, practicing, and getting decent grades. There was no provision in their scholarship saying that they needed to play 20 minutes per game and score 15 points.

What would the reaction be if Xavier told Charles Bronson they were not renewing his scholarship because he didn't score enough points this year?

But now any recruit better know that if he goes to SLU and doesn't contribute during his freshman year, that Majerus is going to kick him to the curb.

The correct way to handle this would have been for Majerus to call these kids into his office and say - "Look, you are never going to play at SLU. If you want a chance to play college ball, you should transfer. And I will call coaches on your behalf and make sure you end up in a good situation." Then let the kid make the decision. If he wants to stay and ride the bench, then he stays. If he wants to transfer, it is his decision.

Muskie
03-12-2008, 10:30 AM
The correct way to handle this would have been for Majerus to call these kids into his office and say - "Look, you are never going to play at SLU. If you want a chance to play college ball, you should transfer. And I will call coaches on your behalf and make sure you end up in a good situation." Then let the kid make the decision. If he wants to stay and ride the bench, then he stays. If he wants to transfer, it is his decision.

To be fair to Majerus, I believe the way you described above DID happen. It's just that someone at the St. Louis papers got wind of it. Apparently, Majerus did this in Utah as well (at least that's what someone alleged over at Billikens.com).

nuts4xu
03-12-2008, 03:15 PM
What would the reaction be if Xavier told Charles Bronson they were not renewing his scholarship because he didn't score enough points this year?

It is a little different with Bronson. He has only been here a year, and the players in question for SLU have been there longer (I think). Plus, we only gave Bronson a 2 year ride. We aren't stuck with him for 4 years, as Majerus could have been with some of his players. And if we told Bronson his days would be better served at another program, I really would have no issues with it.

In fact, with the big men we have eligible and arriving on campus next year, if Bronson wants a lot of minutes next year, he might want to consider a DII school, or another level where he can be eligible right away and play. I would actually have no problems with this if they decided to paint the picture for Charles.

Nobody rides for free.