PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Brown

fellahmuskie
10-30-2013, 06:18 AM
Derrick Brown is making a name for himself in Europe this season. His Russian club, Lokomotiv-Kuban, is 2-0 in the Euroleague in its debut season and one of the top clubs in the VTB United League. And he's top-15 in scoring and efficiency in the Euroleague after two games.

For those who would like to help a former Musketeer out, he's in a poll on the VTB United League website (where I, not so coincidentally, am the English translator:)) for October MVP: VTB United League (English) (http://www.vtb-league.com/en/home/home.htm). He's currently in first, but former Kansas man and current CSKA center Alexander Kaun will provide good competition. In his 2nd year in Russia, this would be Brown's first monthly MVP award in the VTB United League. Overall, he's a top-5 player and could very well win the season MVP award if he stays healthy and Lokomotiv finishes 1st in its group.

The team he plays for also runs a fast-paced offense (Marcus Williams and Richard Hendrix are among his teammates). If you check out this Euroleague Top 10 from a few weeks ago, he clocks in at #7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBE_CtZN448.

And even though the Euroleague is still far behind American basketball's best (college or NBA), the video Derrick's team put together after their visit to Belgrade to play Crvena Zvezda two weeks ago is pretty awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIJpixm79Io&feature=youtube_gdata.

Most impressively, Lokomotiv won that game, its first-ever in the Euroleague.

XU-PA
10-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Voted, done.
Kudos to DB

Cheesehead
10-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Derrick should have stayed at X; might have prolonged his NBA career. I wish him well though.

mistabeecee41
10-31-2013, 07:42 PM
still repping X in this summer training video. still has a funny looking jumper. his off hand is almost on the other side of the ball at the start of his shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrLGewb5_FQ&feature=youtu.be&a

fellahmuskie
11-02-2013, 03:59 AM
I could be wrong, but I think Derrick's going to take another shot at the NBA in a season or two. His teammate in Russia last year, Nick Calathes, is with the Grizzlies now and I could see Derrick doing the same thing.

XUOWNSUC
11-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Derrick should have stayed at X; might have prolonged his NBA career. I wish him well though.

How so? Derrick would have been the 3rd highest scorer on Xavier's team had he stayed for his senior season (behind Crawford & Tu). Also, I'm pretty sure the 2009 NBA draft class was weaker compared to the 2010 draft class.

I wish he stayed from a Xavier standpoint. We might have had a Final Four Team if he stayed. Perhaps, if he had a huge role in a Final Four run, the exposure on TV would have helped his draft position. But from a NBA standpoint, I think he made the right call. He made close to 2 million dollars during his time in the NBA and got to play in the NBA for 3 years. Not many people can say that.

Juice
11-02-2013, 11:40 AM
How so? Derrick would have been the 3rd highest scorer on Xavier's team had he stayed for his senior season (behind Crawford & Tu). Also, I'm pretty sure the 2009 NBA draft class was weaker compared to the 2010 draft class.

I wish he stayed from a Xavier standpoint. We might have had a Final Four Team if he stayed. Perhaps, if he had a huge role in a Final Four run, the exposure on TV would have helped his draft position. But from a NBA standpoint, I think he made the right call. He made close to 2 million dollars during his time in the NBA and got to play in the NBA for 3 years. Not many people can say that.

Yeah, very rarely does an extra year make or break a guy's career. Derrick was at X long enough and rightfully got that money. Postponing a year of making a million or so makes no sense.

Cheesehead
11-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Yeah, very rarely does an extra year make or break a guy's career. Derrick was at X long enough and rightfully got that money. Postponing a year of making a million or so makes no sense.

With a long run by X, Derrick could have been first round pick instead of second round. Ton of difference in the contract. That's really the only point I was making and selfishly I thought X was a legit team for a Final 4 run. In in the end, it is really about my needs.

mistabeecee41
11-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Stumbled across this. Don't understand how anybody can question his decision. He's made millions, played in the NBA for 3 years and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another shot with the way he's been playing in Euroleague.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJVyP6SiWY

XU 87
11-22-2013, 12:04 PM
With a long run by X, Derrick could have been first round pick instead of second round. Ton of difference in the contract. That's really the only point I was making and selfishly I thought X was a legit team for a Final 4 run. In in the end, it is really about my needs.

I used to think the same thing. But I was told by a "good source" that one big reaon he went pro after his junior year is that he shot over 40% from the three that year and he didn't think he could do that the following year. So he thought his stock was at a high.

MHettel
11-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Dont overlook a very important part of the decision he made.

There are only so many years available for someone to make money playing basketball. If you have the talent to make it a career- NBA, Overseas, wherever- then the sooner you start earning, the better off you are.

he had his degree, right? So the "cost" of staying at XU for another year would have essentially been equal to the amount of income he would earn in an average year playing. good decision on his part. Honestly, playing one more year at XU would not have improved his NBA prospects. He has "end of the bench" NBA talent.

I do disagree with the idea that he'd be the 3rd scorer at XU had he stayed. I think he's #2, and TU becomes more of a pass first PG.

You could easily find minutes on that team for DB. Dante Jackson played 26 minutes a game, and Andrew Taylor played 10. You could reduce DJ down to 20, take all of Taylor's minutes. You can take 5 minutes from McLean (he'd be at 20)and now you have 21 minutes for DB to play the 3 and 4. Robinson and Brian Walsh got 143 minutes between them, which translates to about another 4 minutes per game.

that team would have been LOADED.

Juice
11-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Dont overlook a very important part of the decision he made.

There are only so many years available for someone to make money playing basketball. If you have the talent to make it a career- NBA, Overseas, wherever- then the sooner you start earning, the better off you are.

he had his degree, right? So the "cost" of staying at XU for another year would have essentially been equal to the amount of income he would earn in an average year playing. good decision on his part. Honestly, playing one more year at XU would not have improved his NBA prospects. He has "end of the bench" NBA talent.

I do disagree with the idea that he'd be the 3rd scorer at XU had he stayed. I think he's #2, and TU becomes more of a pass first PG.

You could easily find minutes on that team for DB. Dante Jackson played 26 minutes a game, and Andrew Taylor played 10. You could reduce DJ down to 20, take all of Taylor's minutes. You can take 5 minutes from McLean (he'd be at 20)and now you have 21 minutes for DB to play the 3 and 4. Robinson and Brian Walsh got 143 minutes between them, which translates to about another 4 minutes per game.

that team would have been LOADED.

Amen. And that's my argument to the people who think Semaj may stay or should maybe stay. I say it's all BS and if he's even remotely close to a first round pick then go. Get paid now, worry about education and that other bullshit later. Even if Semaj is a flop in the pros, at least he was getting paid to be a flop. There is nothing really he or Derrick could do or could have done to change their chances in the NBA.

MHettel
11-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Amen. And that's my argument to the people who think Semaj may stay or should maybe stay. I say it's all BS and if he's even remotely close to a first round pick then go. Get paid now, worry about education and that other bullshit later. Even if Semaj is a flop in the pros, at least he was getting paid to be a flop. There is nothing really he or Derrick could do or could have done to change their chances in the NBA.

DB and Semaj are in slightly different situations in my view.

-DB was already graduated. So leaving with a year left of eligibility did NOT result in him not getting a degree. The only consideration that he had to make was whether staying an extra season at XU might have moved him into the first round and into some guaranteed money. Honestly, it would not have mattered for him, as I think it was evident that his quickness and shooting was not then, and would never, be NBA first round caliber. Bottom line is that if he stayed he'd have one less year of professional earnings and would not have been a first rounder.

-Semaj appears to have the option of coming out as a soph, a junior, or possibly as a senior. Coming out as a soph or junior puts the degree off until the future, and although it's easy to say that these atheletes can always "go back to school to finish their degree", the reality is that most of the time that never happens. To me, he should come out as soon as he's projected as a 1st round lock. Unlike Brown (quickness), Semaj's main weakness (shooting) is something that can actually be improved upon. Teams will gladly draft a guy with the size and explosiveness of Semaj with the idea that some specialized coaching can help improve the shooting. He really should hold out until he's a first round lock, including the possiblity that he goes as a senior (but WITH a degree).

Juice
11-22-2013, 06:39 PM
DB and Semaj are in slightly different situations in my view.

-DB was already graduated. So leaving with a year left of eligibility did NOT result in him not getting a degree. The only consideration that he had to make was whether staying an extra season at XU might have moved him into the first round and into some guaranteed money. Honestly, it would not have mattered for him, as I think it was evident that his quickness and shooting was not then, and would never, be NBA first round caliber. Bottom line is that if he stayed he'd have one less year of professional earnings and would not have been a first rounder.

-Semaj appears to have the option of coming out as a soph, a junior, or possibly as a senior. Coming out as a soph or junior puts the degree off until the future, and although it's easy to say that these atheletes can always "go back to school to finish their degree", the reality is that most of the time that never happens. To me, he should come out as soon as he's projected as a 1st round lock. Unlike Brown (quickness), Semaj's main weakness (shooting) is something that can actually be improved upon. Teams will gladly draft a guy with the size and explosiveness of Semaj with the idea that some specialized coaching can help improve the shooting. He really should hold out until he's a first round lock, including the possiblity that he goes as a senior (but WITH a degree).

I think you completely overrate having a degree. Lost opportunity at making even half a million is so much greater than the year or two it would take Semaj to go back and take his classes.

For big time college athletes, their success after basketball isn't dependent upon whether they have a degree, it's more on the work and attention they put into those classes. Plenty of guys are pushed through schools for the sake of maintaining eligibility but are worse off for it. Read the post on Deadspin about FSU football from yesterday.

Snow tweeted this not too long ago:

Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout 1h
@bomani_jones @lockbox Not worth it, people can't grasp the concept that you get better in the NBA. It is lost on them

I think this applies to Semaj. I would rather see him make money and improve in the NBA rather than play at XU.

fellahmuskie
01-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Derrick Brown getting some love in this Euroleague GM poll - up there for most exciting player, best American, power forward - http://www.euroleague.net/euroleague-basketball/news/i/130677/6331/the-season-s-best-so-far-euroleague-gms-survey-part-ii

fellahmuskie
02-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Sick dunk tonight from Derrick in the Euroleague. Put his team up 1 with 10 seconds to play, but CSKA came back and hit two free throws to win it. Still, watching him throw this down live was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=almCC0oLCZc

mistabeecee41
02-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Sick dunk tonight from Derrick in the Euroleague. Put his team up 1 with 10 seconds to play, but CSKA came back and hit two free throws to win it. Still, watching him throw this down live was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=almCC0oLCZc

The man. Still think he has what it takes to make it back to the NBA some day. Then again, from what I've previously read, he's pretty well paid in Europe. Probably makes more than he would on the NBA minimum sitting on the bench. 1.3 million euros net income (after taxes plus agent fees).

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303938

paulxu
02-28-2014, 03:37 PM
I couldn't understand the Russian color guy...except when he said Lebron James.

mistabeecee41
03-14-2014, 08:33 PM
seems like each time I research the guy he's dunking on another poor, white European guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8do4pmIu2LQ

SixFig
03-14-2014, 10:34 PM
seems like each time I research the guy he's dunking on another poor, white European guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8do4pmIu2LQ

"That is for invading the Ukraine!"

fellahmuskie
03-15-2014, 09:06 AM
You do realize Derrick is getting paid by the Russian government, right? (As are nearly all pro athletes in Russia).

fellahmuskie
03-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Nice pic of Derrick from the weekend.

paulxu
03-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Where's that taken? Looks like the have a full lower bowl, premium suites with no one watching, and then people in the upper deck.

fellahmuskie
03-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Where's that taken? Looks like the have a full lower bowl, premium suites with no one watching, and then people in the upper deck.

That's his home arena in southern Russia. Seats 7,500. Probably 6,000 there for that game. Have no idea what the deal is with the suites. Can't recall having seen people in them during other games.

Muskie
03-16-2014, 10:40 AM
That's his home arena in southern Russia. Seats 7,500. Probably 6,000 there for that game. Have no idea what the deal is with the suites. Can't recall having seen people in them during other games.

Is the whole suite area reserved for government officials? That might explain the empty seats.

fellahmuskie
03-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Is the whole suite area reserved for government officials? That might explain the empty seats.

Maybe. I know the club doesn't own the arena. The local government does. So maybe they get them or maybe they just never bothered to finish them inside.

Cheesehead
03-19-2014, 08:22 PM
I heard Derrick got locked in his locker room and busted his way out.

mistabeecee41
06-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Update on D-Brown - looks like some of the top teams in EuroLeague are after him after another solid season. $1.8 million US last year? Not too shabby.

http://www.eurohoops.net/2014/06/dribbling/50724

DC Muskie
06-13-2014, 12:32 PM
$1.8 million is very nice.

Cheesehead
06-13-2014, 03:10 PM
There are worse things in life than teams bidding over your services for about 2 million a year

Masterofreality
06-13-2014, 04:16 PM
$1.8 million is very nice.

With all of your living expenses paid as well. Not sure about the tax liabilities though. Maybe one of our professional CPA's can enlighten.

xu82
06-13-2014, 04:35 PM
I wonder if the guys who go overseas and have to learn new languages and cultures while leaving the entourage behind to make somewhat less money (generally) appreciate it more and maybe have a better track record regarding pissing it all away and ending up broke. It seems like a harder route to take. You have to grow up a bit. Might that be good for them in some respects? I'd rather be D. Brown with $10 mil in the bank than Alan Iverson who made $200 mil and now has squat. Or are some guys smart and some are just idiots?

BlueGuy
06-14-2014, 04:04 PM
I wonder if the guys who go overseas and have to learn new languages and cultures while leaving the entourage behind to make somewhat less money (generally) appreciate it more and maybe have a better track record regarding pissing it all away and ending up broke. It seems like a harder route to take. You have to grow up a bit. Might that be good for them in some respects? I'd rather be D. Brown with $10 mil in the bank than Alan Iverson who made $200 mil and now has squat. Or are some guys smart and some are just idiots?

In most cases these guys (D. Brown, J. Doellman, R. Sato...) are over there because the money is way better. They could probably find their way to the end of a bench in the NBA if they wanted. The upside to Europe is way better though for their level of talent. They can play and contribute, and make very good money.

chowertime
07-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Not sure if this has been posted here or not. Interesting vid of what Brown can do for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJVyP6SiWY

mistabeecee41
07-13-2014, 07:17 PM
http://www.sportando.com/en/europe/russia/127087/lokomotiv-reportedly-turns-down-1m-buyout-offer-from-olympiacos-for-derrick-brown.html

Looks like Lokomotiv is trying to hold onto D-Brown. Previous reports that Derrick doesn't want to play in EuroCup and wanted to leave are apparantly UNtrue.

Muskie
02-03-2015, 08:40 AM
An update as provided by Fellahmuskie:

Lokomotiv-Kuban (12-5, 4th in Russia's VTB United League; 4-0, 1st in Eurocup Top 32 Group N)

15.8 pts, 5.5 rebs

Derrick continues to be one of the best players in Russia. His team is favored to win the Eurocup and make it back to the Euroleague next season. They're also in the mix in the VTB United League, though it's almost impossible to beat CSKA in a five-game playoff series. His 3-year contract with Lokomotiv is up this season, so it's possible he gives the NBA another shot or signs with a bigger European club.

mistabeecee41
06-05-2015, 03:25 PM
https://twitter.com/IAmDPick/status/606799656467562496

Headed to Turkey (but looks like he might try for NBA deal)

Efes have lured star forward Derrick Brown with monster $3.8 million partnership. NBA out is $400 thousand.

D-West & PO-Z
06-05-2015, 03:35 PM
https://twitter.com/IAmDPick/status/606799656467562496

Headed to Turkey (but looks like he might try for NBA deal)

Efes have lured star forward Derrick Brown with monster $3.8 million partnership. NBA out is $400 thousand.

The comments under said that was per year, wonder for how many years? Not a bad deal at all. Good for him. And NBA out? Is Derrick under contract with an NBA team right now?

mistabeecee41
06-05-2015, 04:28 PM
The comments under said that was per year, wonder for how many years? Not a bad deal at all. Good for him. And NBA out? Is Derrick under contract with an NBA team right now?

Negative. That means that if an NBA team wants to sign him, he can break the contract - but they'll have to fork over $400k.

D-West & PO-Z
06-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Negative. That means that if an NBA team wants to sign him, he can break the contract - but they'll have to fork over $400k.

Oh got it. If its about money he wont make anywhere near that in the NBA, I wouldnt expect him to leave even if offered unless its more about where he lives and the prestige of playing in the NBA.

XUFan09
06-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Oh got it. If its about money he wont make anywhere near that in the NBA, I wouldnt expect him to leave even if offered unless its more about where he lives and the prestige of playing in the NBA.
It looks like basically an NBA team would have to offer well above league minimum. If they only paid him league minimum, he would have a salary of $0 next year lol.

LA Muskie
06-06-2015, 01:25 AM
NBA rules will allow teams to pay up to $625k of an international contract buyout without being charged to the player and without salary cap implication next year (the limit was $600k this year). Anything above that amount is charged to the player and the salary cap. The rule applies to all international buyouts, even if the player is American.

XUFan09
06-06-2015, 07:45 AM
NBA rules will allow teams to pay up to $625k of an international contract buyout without being charged to the player and without salary cap implication next year (the limit was $600k this year). Anything above that amount is charged to the player and the salary cap. The rule applies to all international buyouts, even if the player is American.
Interesting. I was wondering if they had some provision like that.