PDA

View Full Version : Big East Officially Recognized by NCAA

Muskie
05-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Link (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2013/April/DI+Board+recognizes+new+conference+changes+bowl+qu alification)

The Division I Board of Directors on Thursday officially recognized the prospective Big East Conference as a Division I multisport conference, effective Aug. 1.

Members of the new conference include Butler, Providence, Creighton, St. John’s, DePaul, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette and Xavier.

The addition creates changes within the current Division I governance structure as well, adding representatives of the Big East to the Leadership Council, Legislative Council and Championships/Sport Management Cabinet and changing the vote weights for the Division I (no football) conferences to 1.14 from 1.2 on those groups. The new Big East will also enter the rotation for representation on the Division I Board of Directors.

The Board also noted that on July 1, the current Big East Conference will change its name to the American Athletic Conference. That conference will maintain its positions within the governance structure.