PDA

View Full Version : Roddy Peters

Xu Red Dogg
09-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I didn't see another Roddy Peters thread - which surprised me... Please feel free to combine if there is one.

One of Roddy's other top choices, UCLA, took a commitment from another guard today. Althought small, that is a bit of good news for X.

GIMMFD
09-09-2012, 12:01 PM
I didn't see another Roddy Peters thread - which surprised me... Please feel free to combine if there is one.

One of Roddy's other top choices, UCLA, took a commitment from another guard today. Althought small, that is a bit of good news for X.

UCLA is racking up a class quickly lol, that's good, maybe because we are relatively low at the guard position, it'll convince him to come to the X. He would be a nice asset with Chris Thomas in our back court...

gladdenguy
09-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Roddy Peters will come down to the Harrison twins. If the Harrison twins go to Maryland, Peters will be the odd man out. If the Harrison twins go to Lexington, Peters will almost certainly go to Maryland.

nuts4xu
09-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Roddy Peters will come down to the Harrison twins. If the Harrison twins go to Maryland, Peters will be the odd man out. If the Harrison twins go to Lexington, Peters will almost certainly go to Maryland.

Nice post GG. Not a single blast on Xavier's administration or anything like it in this work of prose.

Public Reps, glad to see you on your meds this morning....

gladdenguy
09-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Nice post GG. Not a single blast on Xavier's administration or anything like it in this work of prose.

Public Reps, glad to see you on your meds this morning....

I forgot to mention we are gonna suck for awhile.

nuts4xu
09-10-2012, 12:31 PM
I forgot to mention we are gonna suck for awhile.

Much better....

XUFan09
10-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Harrison twins picked UK, which means Maryland will go hard for Peters. They'll be tough to beat for one of their local guys.

ArizonaXUGrad
10-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Harrison twins picked UK, which means Maryland will go hard for Peters. They'll be tough to beat for one of their local guys.

Yep, hopefully the good news someone got at the season ticket holder Q&A is about Patterson and losing Peters won't be so bad.

nkymuskie
10-15-2012, 10:36 PM
It looks like Roddy Peters is going to commit to Maryland tomorrow morning at 9:00 am after an in home visit with their coach tonight.

Xavier has to eventually land someone right? Right?

GIMMFD
10-15-2012, 10:47 PM
It looks like Roddy Peters is going to commit to Maryland tomorrow morning at 9:00 am after an in home visit with their coach tonight.

NOPE, ZERO RECRUITS, WE ALL ARE GOING TO DIE IN A CLASS OF ZERO. :facepalm: (Mayans called it right I tell ya)

nkymuskie
10-15-2012, 10:50 PM
NOPE, ZERO RECRUITS, WE ALL ARE GOING TO DIE IN A CLASS OF ZERO. :facepalm: (Mayans called it right I tell ya)

It was aimed to be more sarcastic, but at this point I really don't know who else X is looking at for 2013 other than Patterson.

xsteve1
10-15-2012, 11:07 PM

At this point we may want to start looking for transfers. I've never seen such a successful program have such a hard time recruiting players. Something ain't right and things must be worse than we thought.

Masterofreality
10-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Two things...spoiled fan base that thinks that thinks there should never be any challenges and way too much obsessing over recruiting and rankings.

You would think that Xavier had never been able to win in the past because they didn't get the "Top 100" player. You would also think that the world is ending because a 17 year old kid decides to go to one of the other 341 Division One schools than Xavier. Finally, you would have to conclude that Xavier will have no players to field a team with at all next year because we haven't gotten a commitment yet from a 2013 enrollee.

You know, I never seem to ever seem to remember that any "recruiting guru" ever slobbered over BJ Raymond, Stanley Burrell or Jason Love. I also never seem to see that any "big recruit" commits to Wisconsin, for example. But BJ, Stanley and JLove were pretty damn good and Wisconsin always seems to make the NCAA tournament.

I refuse to get too caught up in ratings, rankings or whether one guy will save the program. I prefer to focus on whether the guys we have are working hard, competing and getting better every day. I still trust our coaches. We had one hell of a recruiting class that came in this year that got "NCAA'd" but we'll have 'em all next year. CMack can recruit. We'll get players we need. If not Peters, someone else.

xlax
10-16-2012, 08:20 AM
he's maryland bound according to evan daniels.

DC Muskie
10-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Something ain't right and things must be worse than we thought.

This is stuff that just kills me to no end. We lose a player who lives in the same county of an ACC school with a new good coach who has made it a priority to land local kids. There was one difference that the number 1 and number 2 players in the country had a relationship with the coach and there was a chance Xavier could get this kid if said players picked Maryland.

They didn't.

Maryland has one 2013 recruit to their class right now. Something must have been worse then those fans thought there.

There was a likelihood we would have lost this player to Maryland regardless of what happened here. How is it today, as opposed to last week, that things are worse then we thought simply because this kid decided he wasn't going to play basketball?

xlax
10-16-2012, 08:33 AM
This is stuff that just kills me to no end. We lose a player who lives in the same county of an ACC school with a new good coach who has made it a priority to land local kids. There was one difference that the number 1 and number 2 players in the country had a relationship with the coach and there was a chance Xavier could get this kid if said players picked Maryland.

They didn't.

Maryland has one 2013 recruit to their class right now. Something must have been worse then those fans thought there.

There was a likelihood we would have lost this player to Maryland regardless of what happened here. How is it today, as opposed to last week, that things are worse then we thought simply because this kid decided he wasn't going to play basketball?

I think a lot of the discontent stems from the fact that there doesn't really appear to be anyone seriously on the radar right now other than Patterson and even he doesn't seem like a lock. It's not that X doesn't have any commitments, its that there really isnt anyone on the radar.

Obviously we all know recruiting and that can change at the drop of a hat, but for a program who is already going to be severely shorthanded this year, i can see how not really having anyone in the pipeline has some concerned.

DC Muskie
10-16-2012, 08:39 AM
I think a lot of the discontent stems from the fact that there doesn't really appear to be anyone seriously on the radar right now other than Patterson and even he doesn't seem like a lock. It's not that X doesn't have any commitments, its that there really isnt anyone on the radar.

Obviously we all know recruiting and that can change at the drop of a hat, but for a program who is already going to be severely shorthanded this year, i can see how not really having anyone in the pipeline has some concerned.

We have Patterson and the Richards kid from Jersey. We have Myles and Reynolds coming in next season. We don't know who else is on the radar.

We lose out on recruits. We always have. We have to refill the pipeline. We always have.

Why can't we wait and see what we have at the end of 2013 and see how the season plays out before we start acting like everything is going downhill?

Masterofreality
10-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Relax.

Peters is a PG. We have Dee and Semaj, both who will be here for a while. We could use a combo guard in this class to go along with Myles Davis. I would like to see Patterson come, if nothing else but to quiet the burgeoning riot from some quarters.

danaandvictory
10-16-2012, 08:43 AM

Davis and Reynolds ought to be around next season. I think it would be fair to consider them two members of the 2013 class.

On the other hand ... Whether Peters going to Maryland was a fait accompli or not, it is hard to argue with the fact that X's staff has missed on every one of the priority recruits that were on the board, say, six months ago. And lost Thomas to boot. Patterson, after all, was an IU commit until the very last minute. I don't know how you can look at that and not at least raise an eyebrow.

DC Muskie
10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Davis and Reynolds ought to be around next season. I think it would be fair to consider them two members of the 2013 class.

On the other hand ... Whether Peters going to Maryland was a fait accompli or not, it is hard to argue with the fact that X's staff has missed on every one of the priority recruits that were on the board, say, six months ago. And lost Thomas to boot. Patterson, after all, was an IU commit until the very last minute. I don't know how you can look at that and not at least raise an eyebrow.

We landed two four star recruits for last year's class, and only one will play. We managed to miss out on a lot of recruits including one that committed last year and went to Georgetown. We filled out the rest of the class with three stars.

We might have to look at some more three stars as well.

I'm mre interested to see how the 2014 class shapes up. That's where you can start to see whether all of this will have a long term effect. I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion this quickly.

danaandvictory
10-16-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm mre interested to see how the 2014 class shapes up. That's where you can start to see whether all of this will have a long term effect. I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion this quickly.

Absolutely, and another mitigating factor is the fact that two-thirds of the coaching staff turned over just months before the Wells turmoil.

My sense is that the staff are focusing their recruiting energies on 2014 at this point. I think they feel the Wells thing is a turd in the punchbowl with '13 recruits and they don't want to settle for guys. They'd love to get Patterson and there might be a late bloomer that pops up but that could be it.

DC Muskie
10-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Absolutely, and another mitigating factor is the fact that two-thirds of the coaching staff turned over just months before the Wells turmoil.

My sense is that the staff are focusing their recruiting energies on 2014 at this point. I think they feel the Wells thing is a turd in the punchbowl with '13 recruits and they don't want to settle for guys. They'd love to get Patterson and there might be a late bloomer that pops up but that could be it.

Agreed. I can't imagine the Wells fallout lasts much longer than this year.

xlax
10-16-2012, 09:09 AM
We have Myles and Reynolds coming in next season.

we also had them coming in this year and you saw how that worked out. Next year will be the third year in a row Reynolds is slated to start his career at Xavier and again we've seen how the first two went. I'll be ecstatic if they make it through to next year, but im not banking on a couple guys who have already been academic liabilities and that doesn't even mention that they have to pay their own way.

i'm not completely in the gloom and doom camp, but i can see why people are worried.

danaandvictory
10-16-2012, 09:16 AM

That's the hope.

The biggest thing now is that they have to keep the current team together. They cannot have more major departures after this season. This stuff does tend to snowball.

DC Muskie
10-16-2012, 09:18 AM
we also had them coming in this year and you saw how that worked out. Next year will be the third year in a row Reynolds is slated to start his career at Xavier and again we've seen hopw the first two went.

i'm not completely in the gloom and doom camp, but i can see why people are worried.

Again Myles and Reynolds are not the first players to not play in their first year. We landed Michael Chandler and he never came. Lyons had to sit. I can easily pick one player here or one player there to focus on. Recruiting and program progression is a much larger landscape.

We have done really well with transfers, so who knows who will be available come seven months. That's a lifetime in college basketball.

We haven't played one game this season and see how this season turns out and how we sell that to future recruits.

People are always worried about recruiting here. I never understand why since we seem to win on a regular basis. I do understand that people want to feel like they have predicted the end of the program correctly, so this current worrisome narrative has legs because they can pin it to one specific thing.

xlax
10-16-2012, 09:19 AM

That we can agree on. Just need to hope that the team has a solid enough year this year to remain nationally relevant.

xlax
10-16-2012, 09:47 AM
FWIW, Peters' high school coach said it came down to Rutgers or Maryland.

nkymuskie
10-16-2012, 09:57 AM

This. It's more the fact that we are going to have 4 available scholarships next year and don't really seem, at least to my knowledge, to be really close to landing any recruits any time soon. I don't doubt that we will land some good ball players (top 150 type) but the anxiety is rising a little bit. Only 24 uncommitted left in the top 100 with the early signing day quickly approaching where I imagine a handful more will come off the board.

Something else. People cite the old teams as bringing in low caliber players that worked their butts off and became stars. Not necessarily true. BJ Raymond was a 4 star recruit, and the first SF not listed in the top 100 on scout. That likely puts him right around #105 give or take in his class. Stanley Burrell was a 3 star recruit, number 28 sg. Still a pretty good recruit there. Justin Cage was #71 in his class. Dedrick Finn was a 4 star, the #15 PG in his class that would put him probably right around the #100 overall prospect in his class.

Recruiting has turned into such a zoo over the last 5 years with the explosion of the Internet, social media and YouTube. It's now so much easier to follow recruiting because there are a lot more people who have made careers over scouting and gathering information about these kids. AAU ball has exploded and it's nearly mandatory now if you want to earn a scholarship. These kids are playing in huge events, against the best players in the country and are having nearly every one of these games scouted. It is becoming much harder to find a sleeper anymore because these kids are being scouted regularly by the time their 12 or 13 years old. It's getting easier, although still not easy, to judge talent because these kids are playing higher caliber players over the summer. Granted AAU ball is usually pretty light on fundamentals.

ArizonaXUGrad
10-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I think at this point our fan base just really wants to see one or two 3 stars. I will agree with the poster that said the Wells fiasco taints this year but not next year. These kids might be just 18 years old but they also aren't stupid. The coaches get only so much time with them each week and it's not Mack's fault Wells put himself in that position.

boozehound
10-16-2012, 10:21 AM
I think at this point our fan base just really wants to see one or two 3 stars. I will agree with the poster that said the Wells fiasco taints this year but not next year. These kids might be just 18 years old but they also aren't stupid. The coaches get only so much time with them each week and it's not Mack's fault Wells put himself in that position.

I would agree with this statement. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to get a high 3 star recruit (or 2) with great work ethic for 2013. I worry a bit that we may be 'star chasing' too much. I'm not the coach though, so what do I know.

DC Muskie
10-16-2012, 10:21 AM
This. It's more the fact that we are going to have 4 available scholarships next year and don't really seem, at least to my knowledge, to be really close to landing any recruits any time soon.

Patterson.

danaandvictory
10-16-2012, 10:24 AM
There are definitely fewer guys who fly under the radar now given blanket coverage of recruiting. A player like Brian Grant is not going to come out of rural Ohio like a Sasquatch and develop into an All-American without anyone noticing.

In fact, the one place that inefficiencies seem to exist is in the international recruiting sphere -- think about Andrew Nicholson or any of the ANZACs St. Mary's has pulled in...

nkymuskie
10-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Missing on Peters stinks but it was assumed the whole time that if the twins went to UK, he was going to stay home at Maryland. It's the fact that more or less every name I've heard associated with Xavier recruiting over the past year has either eliminated X or committed somewhere else. Davon Reed, Anton Gill, Kris Jenkins, E.C. Matthews, Devin Williams, Maverick Morgan, Josh Hart, Miles Overton, and losing the Chris Thomas commitment (more or less expected though). I don't know how close X was with all these guys or whether there was ever a legitimate chance, but those are the names that Xavier has recruited over the past year with nothing to show for it.

Mack has been a good recruiter so I guess this is why this is a little bit disconcerting. I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom. Xavier will be fine, but like other people have said, 2013 (EDIT: the 2013 recruiting class) might be a write off.

Juice
10-16-2012, 10:28 AM
There are definitely fewer guys who fly under the radar now given blanket coverage of recruiting. A player like Brian Grant is not going to come out of rural Ohio like a Sasquatch and develop into an All-American without anyone noticing.

In fact, the one place that inefficiencies seem to exist is in the international recruiting sphere -- think about Andrew Nicholson or any of the ANZACs St. Mary's has pulled in...

Texas has been hitting Canada pretty hard with Kabongo, Cory Joseph, and Tristan Thompson.

nkymuskie
10-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Texas has been hitting Canada pretty hard with Kabongo, Cory Joseph, and Tristan Thompson.

Gonzaga typically has a couple international players as well as a few from Canada too.

xlax
10-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Patterson.

You consider Patterson a recruit X is close to landing? This article (http://zagsblog.com/articles/patterson-visits-providence-smu-up-next/) from a day ago paints a slightly different picture. From the article...

He said he has no timetable for announcing and could wait.

“I might wait till the spring,” he said.

DC Muskie
10-16-2012, 11:44 AM
You consider Patterson a recruit X is close to landing? This article (http://zagsblog.com/articles/patterson-visits-providence-smu-up-next/) from a day ago paints a slightly different picture. From the article...

He said he has no timetable for announcing and could wait.

“I might wait till the spring,” he said.

Or he might not wait till spring.

RealDeal
10-16-2012, 12:23 PM

I think all bases are covered there.

xlax
10-16-2012, 01:54 PM

oh ok, I didn't realize that lends itself to him being close to picking X. My bad.

XUFan09
10-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Patterson looks to be one of those guys that if he commits soon, it bodes very well for X. If he waits, he still might pick X, but there would be a few other schools in the mix, potentially with an equal or even better chance of landing him.

MHettel
10-16-2012, 02:10 PM
It said timetable to announce. Not decide.

He could have decided and informed his choice, but delay the announcement....

ArizonaXUGrad
10-16-2012, 02:22 PM
It said timetable to announce. Not decide.

He could have decided and informed his choice, but delay the announcement....

Then why wait until spring. Most likely is that he has made up his mind amongst those that are offering right now and maybe wants to wait until spring to see if a few more suitors show up.

DC Muskie
10-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Patterson looks to be one of those guys that if he commits soon, it bodes very well for X. If he waits, he still might pick X, but there would be a few other schools in the mix, potentially with an equal or even better chance of landing him.

That is what recruiting is all about.

However you view our current recruiting situation, nothing anybody says, short of 3 five star recruits saying they will come here will change people's minds. So if your definition of "close to landing a recruit" is tomorrow, then no.

Roddy Peters told Scout in late September that he would make his decision in a month. Well things changed and it was a lot sooner than that. So when someone says they might wait till spring, then yes, they might not. These are kids we are talking about.

xlax
10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
FWIW, Uconn and Syracuse are now after Patterson according to the Brewster coach. Uconn is visiting him today.

Juice
10-17-2012, 11:35 AM
FWIW, Uconn and Syracuse are now after Patterson according to the Brewster coach. Uconn is visiting him today.

(reads....bangs head against wall repeatedly)

ArizonaXUGrad
10-17-2012, 12:26 PM
(reads....bangs head against wall repeatedly)

He is probably their back up choice or a guy for their bench. If he wants PT he knows where to go. Cuse just landed a couple of guards in 12 and 13 I think. UConn is no longer the prime destination without Calhoun. They are going to find themselves with a proven mid-major coach here in a year or two when that assistant they have falters. However, the UConn recruiting machine can work magic in the form of donors

This team has Dee Davis/Myles Davis/Semaj Christon...we need bodies that can play minutes especially now instead of star chasing. Hell even KU signed a 2 star point guard that has their ranks head scratching.

GIMMFD
10-17-2012, 03:28 PM
He is probably their back up choice or a guy for their bench. If he wants PT he knows where to go. Cuse just landed a couple of guards in 12 and 13 I think. UConn is no longer the prime destination without Calhoun. They are going to find themselves with a proven mid-major coach here in a year or two when that assistant they have falters. However, the UConn recruiting machine can work magic in the form of donors

This team has Dee Davis/Myles Davis/Semaj Christon...we need bodies that can play minutes especially now instead of star chasing. Hell even KU signed a 2 star point guard that has their ranks head scratching.

Agreed, we definitely need bodies, and I would be very content with Buss. He's got some game to him!