PDA

View Full Version : Slingbox?

XUFan09
11-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Someone said here that Time Warner Cable doesn't allow it in the Cincinnati/Wilmington area (my roommates' parents live in Wilmington), but then I searched "Slingbox Time Warner Cable" and got results that suggested otherwise. So, is Slingbox allowed? And are there any problems with it? We would love to be able to watch Fox Sports Ohio here in Pittsburgh.

xubrew
11-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I don't understand why it wouldn't be allowed. In theory, the only person that can access it is the customer.

I have one, but rarely use it anymore. Essentially, it creates a portal that the owner can log on to and access via the internet. It definitely works with DirecTV, and I would think it would work with any cable or satellite provider. You just run the cable into the box, hook the box up to the internet, and you're good to go.

The reason why I don't think it would be a huge issue is that if you were to give your password out, it's still only one box - one portal. Two people can't just log into it and watch whatever. You'd need two different sling boxes for that. In other words, if you're watching it on the internet and decide to change the channel, it literally changes the channel on the cable box/receiver that it's hooked up to, and therefore changes the channel on your tv at home as well. Also, if two computers are logged into it, it will slow the stream down to a crawl and be unwatchable.

toledodan
11-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Someone said here that Time Warner Cable doesn't allow it in the Cincinnati/Wilmington area (my roommates' parents live in Wilmington), but then I searched "Slingbox Time Warner Cable" and got results that suggested otherwise. So, is Slingbox allowed? And are there any problems with it? We would love to be able to watch Fox Sports Ohio here in Pittsburgh.

to be honest i don't know alot about slingbox. however its my understanding its leagal and i've heard nothing but positive things about it. i wouldn't mind having it myself.

xubrew
11-13-2011, 11:18 AM
to be honest i don't know alot about slingbox. however its my understanding its leagal and i've heard nothing but positive things about it. i wouldn't mind having it myself.

Exactly. I still have mine, but with so much being streamed now I just don't need to use it as much. It turned out that the most use I was getting out of it was that I could start watching something from the DVR in the living room, and finish watching the same thing on my computer in the bedroom. Now, you don't even need a slingbox for that anymore.

dcfunk
11-13-2011, 05:09 PM
I live outside of the U.S., and I can tell you that the Slingbox is a life saver for me. I can watch XU hoops anywhere I have an internet connection. I've watched games on the beach, up in the mountains, and at sports bars that can't get the game. Just brilliant technology.