PDA

View Full Version : Kokrak in Miami

joe titan
10-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Teed off in first group of the day & posts 8 under. Drive it 300 yards and take 24 putts--simple game. Nationwide Tour has 3 more events including this week so Jason can make a solid stretch run & earn some cash.

GoMuskies
10-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Sweet, I forgot to check on him this morning. He's one solid finish away from sewing up his PGA Tour card, and it looks like he intends to take care of that this weekend!

Also, amazing that he started out a -8 round by parring a par 5.

Pete Delkus
10-14-2011, 12:06 PM
I was leaving Elyria Country Club last week at 8:30 PM after an outing, headed for Cincy to play Coldstream the next day. As I was headed for the door, I was looking for the bathroom, another guy asked me if I knew where it was located. We got to talking and turned out it was Jason’s dad.

He was excited about how his kid was playing, obviously, and seemed to be a good guy. He also seemed to enjoy himself out on the course that day as his crew obviously got after it that afternoon.

I told him there were ” a large collection of Xavier fans following Jason and can’t wait to see him next year on the PGA Tour…Knock on Wood” …Which was weird as at this point I was holding my um, putter…

I digress…Good family and good luck Jason!

bleedXblue
10-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Jason is -1 today and -9 overall through 4 holes.

He's one off the leader who's -10

A10fan
10-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Making a run now. -13 thru 13 and 3 shots in the lead.

GoMuskies
10-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Looks like he'll take a 3 shot lead into the weekend after a 5-under 66 today. I think it's fair to say that he's en fuego.

Masterofreality
10-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Just finished with a birdie on 18 and is 13 under for the Tourney and in First by 3.

BTW The taped coverage starts at 5:00pm on Golf Channel.

Our boy is about to cinch his 2012 PGA Tour card this weekend.

Sweet!!

XUglow
10-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Our boy is about to cinch his 2012 PGA Tour card this weekend.

That is very special. Quite a feat.

joe titan
10-14-2011, 05:43 PM
There are a bunch of guys trailing who are desperately seeking Top 25 status ( Wetterich, Chopra, List, Nitties et al). I think those guys will play a bit more conservative/cautious on the weekend knowing a bad shot or two might cost them next year's PGA card.

Jason is in much better position to free wheel the final 36 & play for the win, especially w/ 3 shot lead. I cannot see anyone beating 20 under which is rather doable for Jason at this point.

PMI
10-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Just awesome. If he can hang on then he is going to finish in the Top 5 on the tour, in my opinion. Couldn't be happier for Jason. Go get it!

Masterofreality
10-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Dude just kills the golf ball. Average driving distance is off the grid.

The reason why he's now winning is A) Wedge play, B) He's gotten his putting alignment right.

GoMuskies
10-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Just awesome. If he can hang on then he is going to finish in the Top 5 on the tour

With the Tour Championship still to play, he'd have an outside shot at finishing on top of the money list.....in half a season. Amazing.

Masterofreality
10-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Meanwhile in Miami;

J Kokrak is a smooth 3 under today through 12, 15 under for the Tourney and in first by 4 shots over the field.

Rollin the rock.

joe titan
10-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Not sure about "smooth" for his round today; the bogey on #18 spurred hope in a few trailers. He had a real opportunity to run away and hide from everybody but let things slip a little coming to the house. Still maintained his margin and is in prime position for a second triumph. Wire to wire would be very impressive.

His capacity to focus solely on the task at hand is purely amazing.

Masterofreality
10-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Not sure about "smooth" for his round today; the bogey on #18 spurred hope in a few trailers. He had a real opportunity to run away and hide from everybody but let things slip a little coming to the house. Still maintained his margin and is in prime position for a second triumph. Wire to wire would be very impressive.

His capacity to focus solely on the task at hand is purely amazing.

Yeah, I posted that before he apparently 3 putted on 18. I didn't see it.

Did he just screw up a shortie or did he hit a bad approach?

Still has a 3 shot lead, though and the fact that he has already won means that he's not bothered by his position.

bleedXblue
10-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Jason will have to play better tomorrow. Guys are flighting for their golfing lives on this tour. My prediction is that Jason will have to shoot at least 2 under to win tomorrow.

Masterofreality
10-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, he's 1 under through 8 but play has been suspended for "inclement weather".

16 under for the Tourney and in first by 4.

Looking pretty good.

X-man
10-16-2011, 03:36 PM
At the risk of jinxing former XU golfing standout, Jason Kokrak, it would appear that he is about to win his second Nationwide Tour event today and seal his PGA card for next season. He leads the field by five strokes with six holes to play at -17. Keep it going, Jason!

Masterofreality
10-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Dude just blew the field away. 20 Under and his second Nationwide Tour Title. He now moves to #4 on the money list and has clinched his 2012 PGA Tour card.

Know what is just as cool? Jason's golf bag is from his Cleveland Golf endorser- and it has a huge X on the side.

Way to rock, Jason, and congratulations!!!

GoMuskies
10-16-2011, 06:04 PM
We've got champions in that clubhouse!

Congrats to Jason on becoming Xavier's first (I assume) PGA Tour member.

Muskie
10-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Write up from Foxnews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/10/16/kokrak-cruises-to-dominant-win-in-miami/)

GoMuskies
10-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Write up from Foxnews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/10/16/kokrak-cruises-to-dominant-win-in-miami/)

A fair and balanced write up.

Masterofreality
10-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Here's the story from the Nationwide Tour website:

They finally have his background and place of residence straight.

Jason Kokrak Wins Again (http://www.pgatour.com/2011/tournaments/h083/10/16/wrap-up/index.html)

Pete Delkus
10-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Awesome...Love It!

Masterofreality
10-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Talked with my golfing buddy Bud Shaw of the Plain Dealer today.

Look for a nice story about Jason in the PD soon. Jason is from Northeast Ohio, after all.

BBC 08
10-17-2011, 09:50 AM
MOR, what kind of impact do you see on the Xavier golf program if Jason succeeds on the PGA?

joe titan
10-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Not to interfere but Keegan Bradley went to St Johns, and we do not see their golf program boosted significantly.

If anything, junior/high school players from northern climates might be more interested in staying close to home rather than heading to FL, CA, AZ et al to play in college b/c they can see opportunity to play professionally is not diminished at northern colleges.

BBC 08
10-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Yeah but Keegan Bradley just started on the PGA Tour so it might be too early to say St. John's isn't getting a boost.

xudash
10-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Not to interfere but Keegan Bradley went to St Johns, and we do not see their golf program boosted significantly.

If anything, junior/high school players from northern climates might be more interested in staying close to home rather than heading to FL, CA, AZ et al to play in college b/c they can see opportunity to play professionally is not diminished at northern colleges.

Are you aware of the fact that Xavier will be building a 7-digit dedicated facility for men's and women's golf very shortly?

Are you familiar with Doug Steiner and his recruiting ability?

Xavier is positioning itself to do in golf what it is doing in basketball.

joe titan
10-17-2011, 02:32 PM
"dash: I was only responding to the specific question raised as to whether Jason's potential success on PGA Tour would impact XU golf. I am well aware of the facility @ Mak and Coach Steiner's dedication to the program and recruiting skills ( he virtually hijacked korey Ward from OSU).

BBC: Keegan Bradley played Nationwide Tour in 2010 so his path parallels the intended path for Jason--although rookies winning majors are rare birds. Certainly not predicting Jason to win a major in 2012--if ever. But Bradley's instantaneous success underscores the point of my original reply, viz., simply b/c an alum, especially from a Northern school, wins on Nationwide and even progresses to PGA tour even by winning a major tournament, the school's program is not likely to see much positive impact.

A slightly different example is Northwestern; hardly a national golf power despite having the No. 1 player in the world, Luke Donald, as an alum. Northwestern's indoor practice facility, built mostly w/ Donald's donated bucks, is state of the art.

To reiterate, top notch junior/high school golfers from northern climates can see Jason's success and feel no urgent need to migrate south/west to play collegiate golf in order to fulfill professional aspirations. Otherwise the impact is not a program cornerstone.

Masterofreality
10-17-2011, 05:35 PM
MOR, what kind of impact do you see on the Xavier golf program if Jason succeeds on the PGA?

Actually I see something similar to the boost that Kent State got after Ben Curtis won the British Open in 2003.

Kent is an annual Top 20 ranked program now. This week they are ranked #12 in the Country by Golfweek Magazine, the most highly respected source. Other than Oregon, who is ranked #2 behind Texas, Kent is the only non-sunbelt school in the Top 20. Illinois is 25 and Wichita State is 22. Other than that, it's all schools in warm weather climes.

Between Jason having success, and the new facility, XU can take quantum leaps. Doug Steiner is a magician the way he can pull kids out of hats.

GoMuskies
10-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Kokrak is now 2nd on the eGolf Tour 2011 money list and 4th on the Nationwide Tour 2011 money list. Not often you see a guy in the top five on two different tours.

Muskie
10-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Actually I see something similar to the boost that Kent State got after Ben Curtis won the British Open in 2003.

Kent is an annual Top 20 ranked program now. This week they are ranked #12 in the Country by Golfweek Magazine, the most highly respected source. Other than Oregon, who is ranked #2 behind Texas, Kent is the only non-sunbelt school in the Top 20. Illinois is 25 and Wichita State is 22. Other than that, it's all schools in warm weather climes.

Between Jason having success, and the new facility, XU can take quantum leaps. Doug Steiner is a magician the way he can pull kids out of hats.

MOR where is the new facility going to be located again?

joe titan
10-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Sorry to butt in--at Maketewah CC which is less than 5 miles from campus. If Bobo was unimpeded he might make Mak's members an offer to buy the course completely. Price tag $ 7-8 M--maybe less.

From recent Golfweek: " Jason Kokrak, who has won two of his last four Nationwide Tour starts, is gaining a reputation as something of a metalwood machine (as in long distance with his driver and 3-wood). Kokrak, 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, uses a Cleveland Launcher SL290 driver (9 degree), along with a Cleveland Launcher FL 3-wood (14 degree). At Miccosukee Championship, he was ninth in driving distance (304.0 yards)."