PDA

View Full Version : Kokrak in Omaha

GoMuskies
08-04-2011, 09:02 AM
New week, new thread. Teeing off now in one of the richer events on the Nationwide Tour.

GoMuskies
08-04-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't know that much about Jason's game, but I have picked up on the fact that he really enjoys par 5s. Two birdies on the two par 5s and the rest pars so far. That means a tie for 26th in the early going.

GoMuskies
08-04-2011, 01:46 PM
30 on the back for a cool 64. He's all the way back in a tie for second. What a hack!

Masterofreality
08-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Look the hell out!

Jay is starting to get it.

This is the same course that Jason Gore went sub-60 on- a 59 three or four years ago. With Jason's length he could do the same thing.

He's got it poppin'. Make the money while you're hot, you Musketeer you.

Masterofreality
08-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Jason is 2 under today, but has dropped to 17th.

Guys just rip up that course in Omaha. 25 under will probably win.

joe titan
08-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Ruined RD 3 w/ triple bogey otherwise would be looking at another top 10; needs to free wheel tomorrow

GoMuskies
08-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Disappointing Saturday/Sunday, but great to see him making cuts on the Nationwide Tour now. If he doesn't breakthrough and win this year on the Nationwide Tour, my guess is that he's just a force out there next year, finishes in the 25 and moves on to the big Tour in '13.

Masterofreality
08-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Disappointing Saturday/Sunday, but great to see him making cuts on the Nationwide Tour now. If he doesn't breakthrough and win this year on the Nationwide Tour, my guess is that he's just a force out there next year, finishes in the 25 and moves on to the big Tour in '13.

Jason shoots one under each day on the weekend and drops to 49th place.

While it seems disappointing, it just shows how tough it is to make it consistently.

The guy shoots all 4 rounds under par, finishes 11 under and he's barely top 50 in a tournament.

No one should ever underestimate the degree of difficulty there is in making a living playing pro golf- with nothing ever guaranteed.

Baseball players can suck it.

joe titan
08-07-2011, 08:15 PM
It may be a steep climb, but Jason can possibly make top 60 Nationwide this year which (i) gets him into Nationwide Tour Championship & (ii) gets him status for next year. His play the last 2 weeks might tempt some sponsors to exempt him so he has a fighting chance.

Masterofreality
08-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Jason is in the field for the "Price Cutter Championship" in Springfield, MO this coming weekend.

LOck and load, J!

GoMuskies
08-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Is there a sport where being in the minors isn't hard and doesn't suck? I guess football, since the minors is really college football.

X-band '01
08-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Even in baseball players in the minors get some per diem for food and lodging, if I'm not mistaken. Golfers on the PGA Tour have to pay their own way as far as food and lodging. They don't get any per diem that I'm aware of on the highest level, much less the Nationwide Tour.

GoMuskies
08-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Even in baseball players in the minors get some per diem for food and lodging, if I'm not mistaken. Golfers on the PGA Tour have to pay their own way as far as food and lodging. They don't get any per diem that I'm aware of on the highest level, much less the Nationwide Tour.

The Nationwide Tour guys have sponsors. Not crazy money, but prize money isn't their sole income source.

Masterofreality
08-08-2011, 09:42 PM
The Nationwide Tour guys have sponsors. Not crazy money, but prize money isn't their sole income source.

"Sponsors" are investors who up fron expense money and expect to get paid back after the pro finally makes it.

Go, you're probably referring to endorsement income, mostly from ball and equipment manufacturers. Not too many guys on the Nationwide Tour see very much of that.

GoMuskies
08-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Go, you're probably referring to endorsement income, mostly from ball and equipment manufacturers. Not too many guys on the Nationwide Tour see very much of that.

All the Nationwide Tour guys get money from the equipment manufacturers (or could if they wanted to). It's not a bunch of money, but it's not $0.

joe titan
08-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Go: I would not say "all" Nationwide players receive $$$ from equipment/clothing endorsements. Really only the upper more established guys see any money and that is limited to less than $15-20K. I've helped a few guys on Nationwide with such deals in the last several years, including some current guys. Their equipment/clothes are provided (which is no chump change itself), they may see $5K or so after that plus a bonus pool for WINS. Some expenses can be absorbed w/appearance fees & sponsored clinics.

Otherwise MOR is on track. Sponsors "invest" in a player by providing for example $50K up front to the player--in theory for expenses. The first $50K winnings come straight back to repay the sponsors and after that any winnings are split between player & sponsors, sometimes equally other times in differing proportions.

I have no idea what Jason Kokrak has arranged. He played EGolf Tour in 2010 & 2011 which does not involve the extensive travel as Nationwide does. Those expenses can be more managed and not necessarily need other sources.