PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone here do for a living?

boozehound
03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Since we have a networking board now (Thanks Muskie!) I thought that it might be good for us to post a little bit about our careers for the benefit of other posters who may be in the same field/industry and want to network, as well as the students who may want to reach out to a fellow posters to get information about a particular job field. I know that I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do when I was an undergraduate student!

I'll start:

I work in the Consumer Packaged Goods industry doing Sales and Shopper Insights work for a global beverage company. I have about 3 years of experience in that field. Previously I spent about 3 years in the banking industry doing both Sales and Credit Analysis. I have an undergrad degree from Xavier in Finance (minor in IT) and will finish my MBA at Xavier (marketing concentration) in May.

I love to network with anyone out there who works in the Consumer Packaged Goods industry, or any students who are considering working in the Consumer Packaged Goods industry. Just send me a PM.

Snipe
03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I sell crack cocaine to inner city youth. I give it out for free at playgrounds and I wait for the kids that come back. The kids that come back are the ones you want. It is a great Multi-Level marketing opportunity and if anyone wants a franchise hit me up with some reps and I will set you up with a base account for the school children in your own community. Great perks and benefits and the time off is the whip. It's changed my life. The money you can make in this field is only limited to your own ambition.

Tardy Turtle
03-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I buy crack cocaine from a shady gentleman who calls himself "Snipe."

waggy
03-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Trophy husband.

smileyy
03-08-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm a software engineer for an online retail company in Seattle (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=world%27s+largest+online+retailer). If there are any smart software developers or business/MBA-type folks who want a job in Seattle, let me know. It's extremely rare that we're not hiring.

Michigan Muskie
03-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Great idea - I'll play along. Since October 2010, I am no longer an employee, but I've never been busier in my life.

1. I am co-owner and President of Big Ten SportsWatch (www.bigtensportswatch.com), which is just one part of the entire brand of SportsWatch conference sites. The founder of SportsWatch owns the domain rights to the six major conferences plus the Mountain West since he's based in Vegas. (If only the A-10 had football...)

Our Big Ten site will go live by the end of the month, but Pac-12 is supposed to go live today and one of the articles features Sean Miller and Arizona basketball. I didn't write it myself, otherwise there'd be a connection to X in there, of course. (www.pac12sportswatch.com should be up by 3 PM.) The SportsWatch sites will cover college athletics exclusively, including men's and women's teams in all sports. In addition to owning the site and managing the content, I will also be contributing articles on occasion and writing a weekly column. (I've already figured out a way to reference Xavier twice.)

We are hosting a radio show every Saturday night on Fox affiliate 720 AM KDWN in Las Vegas called Jock Talk. We will have a "listen live" link on our Big 10 site. The founder is a former sports radio talk show host with ESPN in the West and will be one of the co-hosts of Jock Talk.

Opportunity: I posted an Internship opportunity in another thread that has already landed me two student journalists, and potentially two others.

2. I am the Director of Ident-a-Kid of Cincinnati and founder of the Cincinnati KinderGuard nonprofit company. We provide digital visitor tracking systems to schools and child rescue ID cards to parents. This year, we added digital cell phone IDs so parents can carry them on their mobile phones. Our partners include The Cincinnati Reds Community Fund, the Child Rescue Network, and we are searching for one key business partner in order to financially support the efforts of the charity. We sent a proposal to Cincinnati Bell last week as there is a natural alignment there. Every parent should be carrying a child ID card and/or digital eKid version. The response to a missing child crisis is delayed considerably without a current photo and critical data.

Opportunity: If the Cincinnati Bell proposal falls through, we will be seeking a fund-raising director for the charity. It will be a part-time, commission based job.

3. I am an independent agent for AssureTec Technologies:
Assure-Alert: Top-of-the-line ID authentication device to be used by anyone at risk for credit card fraud, anyone who needs foolproof age verification, employers who are reviewing candidates for hire, or anyone who could be at risk for accepting a false ID (such as a car dealer, check-cashing site, etc.) I am trying to work with Cincinnati Public Schools as part of my affiliation with Cincinnati KinderGuard to equip each school with one of these scanning devices. Really, all schools should have one to prevent anyone from entering the building who is misrepresenting his or her actual identity.

Opportunity: A sub-contractor role has been approved by the corporation. Again, this would be part-time and commission based.

4. I am an independent agent for a restaurant marketing firm called Repeat Returns:
Repeat Returns: Fully-integrated marketing system for restaurants, with a customer rewards program at the core. Quick and easy to set up a rewards program for your business, single or multiple locations, and we guarantee results in writing.

Opportunity: I don't know that I can take on a sub-contractor here, but I would be glad to offer compensation for connections that turn into clients.

XU-PA
03-08-2011, 11:09 AM
I'll bet I'm the only on here, possibly the only Xavier Alum, who is a junk man.
That's what I do, I haul of junk out of houses. Furniture, appliances, attic crap, stinking crap, garage crap, backyard crap. If it's crap, I'll haul it! Lots of what I do is through the real estate market, helping people getting their houses ready to show, or getting the extra cleared out when they are ready to close. Also just get calls from people doing some spring cleaning, whatever.
I see them all, messy college roommates, eviction leftovers, people who seemingly disappeared and left all their stuff behind, also the hoarders, clean out lots of dead peoples stuff.
The other half of our business is unloading all that stuff. My wife has a seasonal antique store up here, also sells on Ebay, and we take items to auction, and I do the occasional yard sale, though I'm getting too old for that.

I'm a communications grad from X, '90. Worked in the newsroom at 55WKRC for 5 years, then another 8 on the assignment desk for the 11 oclock news at channel 12. Got burnt out, put on my work clothes and changed careers.

Masterofreality
03-08-2011, 11:10 AM
As little as possible while I slink my way to retirement in 2....3.....4......5....errr.....years.

xu95
03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Trophy husband.

I am working towards that.

I currently sell IT equipment to the Federal Government.

xu95

94GRAD
03-08-2011, 11:53 AM
I keep Xavier students and Alumni comfortably numb.

THRILLHOUSE
03-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I'll bet I'm the only on here, possibly the only Xavier Alum, who is a junk man.

My uncle is a X alum who owns his own trash removal service (One Man's Trash).

XU-PA
03-09-2011, 09:41 AM
My uncle is a X alum who owns his own trash removal service (One Man's Trash).

I used to run across his company when I was in CIncinnati, we were both working on the east side alot. Tip of my Xavier cap to your uncle, next time you see him tell him We Haul says hello!

xuwin
03-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Retired Electrical Engineer.

American X
03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Wait, so either XU-PA or Thrillhouse's uncle is Lamont Sanford's dad?

http://www.xavierhoops.com/forums/image.php?u=152&dateline=1295382907

XU-PA
03-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Wait, so either XU-PA or Thrillhouse's uncle is Lamont Sanford's dad?

http://www.xavierhoops.com/forums/image.php?u=152&dateline=1295382907

I wish! He's my hero.
Also the funkiest TV theme song, ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5DnqW3F57E

nuts4xu
03-09-2011, 04:26 PM
I am in sales, and I work for a global company that manufactures single use plastic products for the foodservice industry. I am in national accounts, and call on customers such as Yum Brands, Circle K, and Frisch's.

I have been in the industry for 10 years, and am very happy working for a privately owned company that treats their people well.

D-West & PO-Z
03-09-2011, 04:50 PM
I am a Physical Therapist at a local hospital in Cincinnati.

DoubleD86
03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
I am currently a 1-year full time intern serving as a Ticket Services Representative for the Indianapolis Indians AAA baseball team. After this, I hope to break into the NFL, MLB, MiLB, or MLS/Soccer for a career.

XUglow
03-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I sell stuff on the internet. Right now, I am mostly focused on developing European websites and distribution centers. I am headed to Japan in a few weeks to work on distributing Japanese goods that are having a tough time cracking the US and northern European markets. They have some really cool stuff about 2 to 3 years before we have it. I used to do very complicated technical work, but now, I am looking for the next Swiffer Sweeper or Tamagotchi or something on that level.

MADXSTER
03-09-2011, 07:45 PM
BMW's are my game.

If anyone ever has any questions just PM me. :)

pimpinthebox
03-10-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm a shepherd.

Xpectations
03-10-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm pretty good at drinking beer.

PM Thor
03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm an overpaid, money grubbing, cadillac benefit getting, future-millionaire sucking on the governments Teet, causing every single governmental deficit in America.

Just a Firefighter/EMT/State Fire Inspector for the city of Cincinnati.

What? Me? Bitter? Not really.

I HATE dayton.

waggy
03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
i hate dayton.

fyp

;)

XULucho27
03-10-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm in Law School at Loyola University Chicago. I'm also currently clerking at the Cook County State's Attorney's Office.

And since I have no shame here goes the following:

For any attorneys that live in Chicago: I have a great interest in litigation. I'm obtaining my 711 License in May and will (hopefully) litigate some narcotics bench trials at the State's Attorney's Office during the summer. I really would like to remain in the criminal law field but I'm also open to new opportunities wherever available. I also have experience writing briefs (appellate brief writing course) and have researched and written motions and responses to (defense) motions in felony trials.

If any of you are X alums and attorneys here in Chi-town, I'd love to be able to meet and participate in the never-ending circle jerk I've come to know as networking.

I'm also devastatingly handsome. Like really god-damn good looking. So keep that in mind.

waggy
03-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm an overpaid, money grubbing, cadillac benefit getting, future-millionaire sucking on the governments Teet, causing every single governmental deficit in America.

What? Me? Bitter?

QFT.

NOW you have a reason to neg rep me.

newtsac
03-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Back in the saddle (thanks to everyone who helped) as a Marketer or Brand Strategist in Indy.

GreatWhiteNorth
03-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I retired 2 years ago.....early retirement. I used to work in a private medical laboratory, first in Marketing and later in Materials Management. I graduated from X in 1972 (same year as MOR ?) majoring in pre-med. I am a Canadian living in Ontario.

XU-PA
03-16-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm in Law School at Loyola University Chicago. I'm also currently clerking at the Cook County State's Attorney's Office.

Do they really play "The Girl From Impanema" in the eleveator?

muskiefan82
03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Back in the saddle (thanks to everyone who helped) as a Marketer OR Brand Strategist in Indy.

You don't know which you are?

DC Muskie
03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
I direct a non profit food distribution program where people spend $20 and give two hours of volunteer service, they receive 14 items of food that would retail in a store for about $40-45.

I am currently driving it into the ground as part of my master plan of being a complete jerk.

GuyFawkes38
03-16-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm a software engineer for an online retail company in Seattle (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=world%27s+largest+online+retailer). If there are any smart software developers or business/MBA-type folks who want a job in Seattle, let me know. It's extremely rare that we're not hiring.

Really cool. That's my favorite company in the world and I bet a lot of others too. No doubt about it, the company has made my life better.

pickledpigsfeet
03-16-2011, 02:53 PM
I sell labels to the spirits, beer, and wine markets. Without me, you wouldn't know what kind of booze you were drinking. Tequila, rum, and bourbon are my main niches. It also affords me lots of free samples which come in faster than I can drink. Not a bad gig but the travel has been too much the last 16 months or so.

Our company also does labels for just about every industry (food, beverage, personal care, consumer products, etc.)

Kahns Krazy
03-16-2011, 08:19 PM
I try to keep pickled in business one label at a time.

Seriously, when you gonna hook a brother up with some tequila?

xeus
03-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Do they really play "The Girl From Impanema" in the eleveator?

GREAT reference. Well done.

Cheesehead
03-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Probation Officer for a certain______ County Common Pleas Court east of Cincinnati.

I am also underpaid,overworked and I keep a gun near my nightstand because I deal with some crazy a-holes. Yes.... seriously.

Michigan Muskie
03-17-2011, 09:06 AM
The Pac-12 SportsWatch site launched last week. Our Big Ten site goes live next week. If you want to take a look, here's the link: http://www.pac12sportswatch.com/index.html

Scroll down to read our NCAA Tournament Expert Picks. I bet you can figure out which "expert" I am.

PM me if you or someone you know is interested in writing about Big 10 sports.

Cincypunk.org
03-21-2011, 03:32 PM
That's what I do, I haul of junk out of houses. Furniture, appliances, attic crap, stinking crap, garage crap, backyard crap. If it's crap, I'll haul it! Lots of what I do is through the real estate market, helping people getting their houses ready to show, or getting the extra cleared out when they are ready to close. Also just get calls from people doing some spring cleaning, whatever.
I see them all, messy college roommates, eviction leftovers, people who seemingly disappeared and left all their stuff behind, also the hoarders, clean out lots of dead peoples stuff.
The other half of our business is unloading all that stuff. My wife has a seasonal antique store up here, also sells on Ebay, and we take items to auction, and I do the occasional yard sale, though I'm getting too old for that.

I'm a communications grad from X, '90. Worked in the newsroom at 55WKRC for 5 years, then another 8 on the assignment desk for the 11 oclock news at channel 12. Got burnt out, put on my work clothes and changed careers.

This seems like a really interesting career. I bet you have some great stories that have come from searching through all the junk people keep at their house.

Cincypunk.org
03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
I have undergraduate degrees from NKU in journalism and history, however, I recently left the newspaper business to work in the emergency communications field as a dispatcher/call taker. The center I work at is the third busiest in the tri-state area and we dispatch for 10 fire departments, one sheriff's department, and one police department. I hope to work my way up the chain and advance in this field, however, who knows what time will bring. I jumped into this industry not knowing much about it and the past three years have been extremely interesting.

I have considered going back to schools to get a master's degree in nursing or a bachelor's degree in nursing, but owning a home, paying bills, etc has made that dream sit on hold for a bit.

I also do freelance work for The Community Recorder/Community Press newspapers on the side.

And since 2005 I have organized a local charity music festival that has raised $32,000 for local Cincinnati charities. If anyone has questions or needs advice in any of these fields just shoot me a PM.

drudy23
03-21-2011, 03:56 PM
The Pac-12 SportsWatch site launched last week. Our Big Ten site goes live next week. If you want to take a look, here's the link: http://www.pac12sportswatch.com/index.html

Scroll down to read our NCAA Tournament Expert Picks. I bet you can figure out which "expert" I am.

PM me if you or someone you know is interested in writing about Big 10 sports.

You're Bernie Mac?

Cincypunk.org
03-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Any occupational therapists on the board? My sis just got her graduate degree in OT from EKU and is finishing up her field work. She will probbly be looking for a job shortly.

OT is her passion. I've never had a passion for work like I see in her and it is pretty inspiring.

bobbiemcgee
03-21-2011, 04:23 PM
For you guys over 18 and under 35, here's a hint of a company I was part-owner of for many years (still am):

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Vermigli/emanskiMCGRIFF.jpg

'tis the season - still selling good.

Michigan Muskie
03-21-2011, 04:44 PM
You're Bernie Mac?

That's damn funny. I'm not entirely certain why they're still using that image...

Pluto
03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
You're Tom Emanski? The coach of Back to Back to Back AAU National Champions!

bobbiemcgee
03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
You're Tom Emanski? The coach of Back to Back to Back AAU National Champions!

No, but he's my partner in Crime..... (Dog). The world's longest running continous TV commercial. haha.

http://www.baseballworld.com/

GoMuskies
03-21-2011, 08:04 PM
In house counsel. Get out of law firms when you are able billable hour slaves!

principal
03-21-2011, 09:49 PM
I have been in banking, specifically wholesale mortgage, for the past 11+ years. For the last 6-7 years of that time I have worked as an account executive (B2B sales) for two well known companies. I would like to change careers but I am finding it difficult to do so. I am open to considering just about anything - from starting a small business, to helping someone else do so, to finding a different (possibly management) position in another industry.

Any ideas? PM me.

An X Fan
03-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I work for the mothership at Dana and Victory. Xavier has changed a lot over the years since many of us were here as students. But it's still a great place with great faculty and staff and great kids.

XUglow
03-22-2011, 01:46 PM
http://www.extremeglow.com/working.jpg

This.

Kahns Krazy
03-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Man, I hope you're wearing shorts.

Also, does Snipe know you raided his shoe/sock drawer?

SixFig
03-22-2011, 02:14 PM
http://www.extremeglow.com/working.jpg

This.

Dude, why go halfway. Just rock the tube sock all the way to the bottom of your knee. Old school!

XUglow
03-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Man, I hope you're wearing shorts.

Also, does Snipe know you raided his shoe/sock drawer?

Yea, I have my shorts on. I have on my standard crew socks that I wear when I am scrapping the bottom of the drawer. I can't claim exceptional laziness if I start washing clothes when I still have some "that will do" stuff still in the drawer.

X-band '01
03-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Dude, why go halfway. Just rock the tube sock all the way to the bottom of your knee. Old school!

Michael Cooper was the last guy I could ever recall doing that. Good times.

Pluto
03-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Michael Cooper was the last guy I could ever recall doing that. Good times.

or Posey

Pluto
03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Worked in varous roles in banking for 8+ years. Last year decided I didn't like it anymore and quit. Played the stay at home dad thing for the past 6 months and now am trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Right now I am interested in corporate training since the training portion is what I enjoyed the most in my prior roles.

awayfan
03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I have an Environmental Science degree and currently work for an Environmental Consulting firm here in Pittsburgh. I test materials for lead, mold and asbestos. Most of my work is sampling for asbestos in low income areas or schools before any renovations occur. I'm currently looking to get out of the asbestos field.

XU-PA
04-01-2011, 02:07 PM
This seems like a really interesting career. I bet you have some great stories that have come from searching through all the junk people keep at their house.

It's a blast, everyday is a treasure hunt. 99.999% garbage, but every now and then a gem!

bobbiemcgee
04-01-2011, 02:14 PM
I have an Environmental Science degree and currently work for an Environmental Consulting firm here in Pittsburgh. I test materials for lead, mold and asbestos. Most of my work is sampling for asbestos in low income areas or schools before any renovations occur. I'm currently looking to get out of the asbestos field.

can't stand the heat? Sorry - had to.

D-West & PO-Z
04-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Any occupational therapists on the board? My sis just got her graduate degree in OT from EKU and is finishing up her field work. She will probbly be looking for a job shortly.

OT is her passion. I've never had a passion for work like I see in her and it is pretty inspiring.

Like I said I'm a PT, but your sister will have zero trouble finding a job pretty much anywhere she wants. Is she looking in Cincinnati? I'm sure my work is hiring OTs, My mom owns a therapy company in the area, I know she is always hiring. PT's, OT's, and Speech Language Therapists are really lucky to be able to come out of school right now and have no trouble finding jobs.

kmcrawfo
07-15-2011, 06:42 AM
Owner/President of Advanced Dermatology. I opened the first office in Seymour, Indiana 3 years ago and the corporation has grown rapidly. Since finishing my career in the Air Force 1 year ago, I also opened a second office in Columbus office and based on growth plan to open a third facility in Greenwood/South Indianapolis. I work primarily as a dermatologist and skin cancer surgeon, but oversee all operations/financials for the corporation. The facilities all have a dermatology clinic, medical spa, and outpatient surgery center.

I am always looking for good candidates for employment. We are currently actively searching for:
1. Office Manager for the Seymour and Columbus office.
2. Dermatology Technicians/Medical assistants. Assist me in surgery and in the clinic.
3. Dermatology medical biller/coder.

If interested, PM me and I can send the job description and other details.

HuskyMuskie
07-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Owner/President of Advanced Dermatology. I opened the first office in Seymour, Indiana 3 years ago and the corporation has grown rapidly. Since finishing my career in the Air Force 1 year ago, I also opened a second office in Columbus office and based on growth plan to open a third facility in Greenwood/South Indianapolis. I work primarily as a dermatologist and skin cancer surgeon, but oversee all operations/financials for the corporation. The facilities all have a dermatology clinic, medical spa, and outpatient surgery center.

I am always looking for good candidates for employment. We are currently actively searching for:
1. Office Manager for the Seymour and Columbus office.
2. Dermatology Technicians/Medical assistants. Assist me in surgery and in the clinic.
3. Dermatology medical biller/coder.

If interested, PM me and I can send the job description and other details.

My neck of the woods! Get that puppy growing, and welcome to the south side!

X-band '01
12-02-2012, 06:50 AM
In this thread, the posts from the Far East bots are very apropos.

JTG
12-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Greeter at WalMart

BlueGuy
12-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Greeter at WalMart

You graduated from UC? All this time, I thought you were a Xavier guy.

DC Muskie
12-27-2012, 08:41 AM
I direct a non profit food distribution program where people spend $20 and give two hours of volunteer service, they receive 14 items of food that would retail in a store for about $40-45.

I'm not doing this anymore.

I am currently driving it into the ground

Failed on this, although it is on life support.

my master plan of being a complete jerk.

Still very much in effect. So I got that going for me...

Porkopolis
12-27-2012, 08:49 AM
My professional life has certainly changed repeatedly over the past decade; I'm sure that is the case for many of us. I currently teach K-8 music for Cincinnati Public at Hartwell School and Bond Hill Academy.

ArizonaXUGrad
12-27-2012, 09:19 AM
My professional life has certainly changed repeatedly over the past decade; I'm sure that is the case for many of us. I currently teach K-8 music for Cincinnati Public at Hartwell School and Bond Hill Academy.

As a former music major at XU (paid a large portion of tuition) turned accountant, Porkopolis I am jealous.

Corporate Accounting Manager at a the 8th biggest home builder in the country here in Phoenix. Not very exciting but it more than pays the bills.

wkrq59
12-27-2012, 09:57 AM
As most of you (maybe) know I'm old fart, 60 plus years of association with Xavier as student, alum and fan and ex-ink-stained wretch of 40 years duration (34 at old now gone Cinti Post) sportswriter, copy editor and general all-round slave to the greatest job anyone who was insane enough to stay could want. Retired since 01/1/00 but fully retired since 03 or 04 but who's counting? Posting since well before 08 but who cares? One of only two honorary LHS members and damned proud of it. Never gonna quit loving Muskies teams! Editing wife's books and writings and just trying to survive.
:encore::spiritfingers::lolgroup::tonguewag:

bjf123
12-27-2012, 10:01 AM
For almost a year, I've been unemployed. Prior to that, I was the CFO for over 10 years for a privately held distribution company with locations around the Midwest. I left there when ownership changed and my position was going away. I joined another local company as CFO after that, but was let go when I refused to fudge some numbers on a government report. While that sucked, I feel good that I do have ethics and integrity, traits that the owner of that firm didn't value. I'm leaving the house in a few minutes to interview for the Controller position for another local company. Wish me luck!

drudy23
12-27-2012, 10:07 AM
For almost a year, I've been unemployed. Prior to that, I was the CFO for over 10 years for a privately held distribution company with locations around the Midwest. I left there when ownership changed and my position was going away. I joined another local company as CFO after that, but was let go when I refused to fudge some numbers on a government report. While that sucked, I feel good that I do have ethics and integrity, traits that the owner of that firm didn't value. I'm leaving the house in a few minutes to interview for the Controller position for another local company. Wish me luck!

Good luck.

94GRAD
12-27-2012, 10:21 AM
for almost a year, i've been unemployed. Prior to that, i was the cfo for over 10 years for a privately held distribution company with locations around the midwest. I left there when ownership changed and my position was going away. I joined another local company as cfo after that, but was let go when i refused to fudge some numbers on a government report. While that sucked, i feel good that i do have ethics and integrity, traits that the owner of that firm didn't value. I'm leaving the house in a few minutes to interview for the controller position for another local company. Wish me luck!

luck!!!

DC Muskie
12-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Good luck!

xudash
12-27-2012, 11:57 AM
I keep Xavier students and Alumni comfortably numb.

First of all, this is the clearest mission statement of any that has been or ever will be posted here.

xudash
12-27-2012, 12:02 PM
My colleagues and I are $2mm away from changing how the television industry determines its programming investments (presently in the process of raising our Series A round):

http://fourelementsmedia.com/

Seeking accredited investors (Reg D defined). Anyone who brings $2mm to the table - actually, wired into our operating account - along with assisting in getting to the properly executed paperwork (e.g. shareholder agreement, etc.) receives 6% of the proceeds ($120,000) and 250,000 shares of common stock from a Restricted Stock Award (RSA) pool.

Get busy.

I would love to hand cash and stock over to a fellow Muskie. We would do that over libations - my treat - in Dana's (I'd hate for the intermediary to have to break $120k).

paulxu
12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Dash,
Since I'm roughly in the same boat as Q (retired, went to X in the 60's, etc.) I decided to check my investment portfolio to see if I could help.
Currently in my investment portfolio there are 3 cases of Makers Mark 46, some Bojangles By1-Get1 coupons, 1/2 pound of bacon and some old copies of Playboy, and $76.20 in a savings account.

How many shares of stock in this new venture will $76.20 get me? I'm all in.
(ps. Will bring 46 to Dana's for deal closing. No need for you to treat.)

xudash
12-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Dash,
Since I'm roughly in the same boat as Q (retired, went to X in the 60's, etc.) I decided to check my investment portfolio to see if I could help.
Currently in my investment portfolio there are 3 cases of Makers Mark 46, some Bojangles By1-Get1 coupons, 1/2 pound of bacon and some old copies of Playboy, and $76.20 in a savings account.

How many shares of stock in this new venture will $76.20 get me? I'm all in.
(ps. Will bring 46 to Dana's for deal closing. No need for you to treat.)

Paul,

Given the high-risk nature of this start-up venture, and the rather adroit mix you've brought to the composition of your portfolio, may I suggest we by-pass the investment and just meet for drinks at Dana's. And I'll still treat, or at least buy a few rounds.

ammtd34
12-27-2012, 01:42 PM
I make software changes for a company that tracks insurance policies on mortgages.

Every document that comes to us - bills, renewals, cancellations, etc... - is scanned. Based on our clients' (mortgage banks) policies, we adjust the accounts accordingly. My group writes the code that makes those changes.

In a given month, the rules that my group writes allows 85-90% of the documents we receive to process automatically, leaving just over 10% to have to be looked at by a human.

ammtd34
12-27-2012, 01:43 PM

Zip 'em up!

bigdiggins
12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Started as an intern, then Staff Accountant, Senior Accountant, Senior Internal Auditor, A/P Manager, and for the last 4+ years Treasury Manager for a large corporation in the northern Cincinnati suburbs. Eventually they'll find something I'm good at :), or I'll realize you make more money by moving around as opposed to staying at the same place for 15 years and go get paid.

ArizonaXUGrad
12-27-2012, 02:08 PM

No kidding good luck.

xudash
12-27-2012, 02:20 PM
No kidding good luck.

Seriously. And way to take that ethics class out for a spin. Fudging numbers eventually lands you on the evening news.

XUFan09
12-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Community college adjunct professor in philosophy, supplemented by delivery driving for Jimmy Johns, because the first one just doesn't pay enough. However, it's nice to be able to teach at the community college level with just a Master's degree, and I'm heading back for a PhD this next fall most likely.

paulxu
12-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Paul,

Given the high-risk nature of this start-up venture, and the rather adroit mix you've brought to the composition of your portfolio, may I suggest we by-pass the investment and just meet for drinks at Dana's. And I'll still treat, or at least buy a few rounds.

You're on. But don't overlook the high risk nature of each element in the adroit mix of my portfolio. I believe based on a critical appreciation of that mix, your startup is in fact a very safe investment for my cash position of $76.20.

(bjf123...hope your interview was a smashing success!)

fellahmuskie
12-27-2012, 05:06 PM
My wife and I just came back from Moscow after 3 months of teaching English. We'll be house-sitting for 3 months in northern Indiana, then try to return to Moscow with a different company. I'm done teaching (realized once and for all that I absolutely hate it) and am pursuing English translation of Russian sports websites. I have a part-time gig with the VTB United League and hope to get more business with football and basketball clubs and leagues around Russia. That and pursuing opportunities for freelance writing. I don't plan to ever make more than 20-30k a year, but I'm so happy to have finally started doing full-time the stuff I enjoy, rather than what I thought I was supposed to be doing.

XULucho27
12-27-2012, 08:59 PM
I put people in jail.

I put four people in jail on Christmas Eve.

I love my job.

Cheesehead
12-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Was a Probation Officer for a local felony court, followed by a stint at being a stay at home Dad for a few years, followed by a return to that same Probation Department (total time as PO was 10 years), followed by a stint in sales of promotional products/corporate clothing and now I am a Claims Adjuster for a large retail store w/ HQ in downtown Cincy.

DC Muskie
12-28-2012, 07:49 AM
I put people in jail.

I put four people in jail on Christmas Eve.

I love my job.

We can never, ever meet in person.

X-Fan
12-28-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm an IT Product Manager for a national Health Care company that provides Specialized Nursing, Short Term Care, Home Care, Hospice, and many other rehab services. I oversee our Timekeeping and Labor reporting systems. I like my job and it's way more interesting than I just made it sound. ;-)

Muskie
12-28-2012, 08:20 AM
My wife and I just came back from Moscow after 3 months of teaching English. We'll be house-sitting for 3 months in northern Indiana, then try to return to Moscow with a different company. I'm done teaching (realized once and for all that I absolutely hate it) and am pursuing English translation of Russian sports websites. I have a part-time gig with the VTB United League and hope to get more business with football and basketball clubs and leagues around Russia. That and pursuing opportunities for freelance writing. I don't plan to ever make more than 20-30k a year, but I'm so happy to have finally started doing full-time the stuff I enjoy, rather than what I thought I was supposed to be doing.

While you're in Northern Indiana, you might check to see if the Courts are looking for Russian translators. Always seem to be getting emails from counties looking for translators in all language. It is good money usually.

ammtd34
12-28-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm an IT Product Manager for a national Health Care company that provides Specialized Nursing, Short Term Care, Home Care, Hospice, and many other rehab services. I oversee our Timekeeping and Labor reporting systems. I like my job and it's way more interesting than I just made it sound. ;-)

I'm sure it is, but I have a problem deciphering what people actually do when they describe their job. Does that happen to anyone else?

paulxu
12-28-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm sure it is, but I have a problem deciphering what people actually do when they describe their job. Does that happen to anyone else?

I'm not sure how much more of a description I can provide to "retired" to help you out.

ammtd34
12-28-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure how much more of a description I can provide to "retired" to help you out.

That's one that I envy and can fully grasp.

Muskie in dayton
12-28-2012, 10:38 AM
I work for an Engineering Firm doing environmental work. I still do some large industrial site liability management (investigation/remediation/navigating the regulatory framework), but am working more and more on the business management side for the firm (XU MBA is paying off!).

Are there any Secondary or Elementary School Adminstrators out there with some pull? My wife is an awesome Special Ed teacher that will need a new job for next school year. She too is an X grad, so you know she's good! :smile:

fellahmuskie
12-28-2012, 11:56 AM
While you're in Northern Indiana, you might check to see if the Courts are looking for Russian translators. Always seem to be getting emails from counties looking for translators in all language. It is good money usually.

Thanks for the idea. I'll check that out.

JTG
12-28-2012, 12:49 PM
You graduated from UC? All this time, I thought you were a Xavier guy.

Actually my job is Auditing Construction Companies and Municipalities for a large insurance company.

XULucho27
12-28-2012, 03:51 PM
We can never, ever meet in person.

To be fair, it was four people who were going to go to jail on that day no matter what. I still love being a prosecutor though. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Nigel Tufnel
12-28-2012, 11:07 PM
I attempt to make people look at situations objectively that are, without a doubt, subjective situations. I deal with good people at their absolute worst and bad people that go off the charts. I attempt to diffuse situations that normal people should be able to do with ease...and its very difficult doing so. I observe adults putting their hatred and spite towards one another above their children to the point that it adversely affects their innocent children. I make a lot of money when people lose sight of common sense and do things based on "principle." When I make a lot of money based on a lot of hard work, I rarely have a happy customer....even if they "won." When my customer is being reasonable and the other side is being ridiculous, I deal with unhappy customers because they have to pay me more than they should really have to. I watch parents use their children as ropes in a tug of war or pawns in a game of chess. I watch the children rebel by taking complete control of their family situation because their parents are too busy hating one another or their new spouses. When I try to objectively compromise, I'm told I am not a fighter. When I fight, I'm told it costs too much to fight.

I'm good at my job. But I hate my job.

UCGRAD4X
12-29-2012, 09:51 AM
I attempt to make people look at situations objectively that are, without a doubt, subjective situations. I deal with good people at their absolute worst and bad people that go off the charts. I attempt to diffuse situations that normal people should be able to do with ease...and its very difficult doing so. I observe adults putting their hatred and spite towards one another above their children to the point that it adversely affects their innocent children. I make a lot of money when people lose sight of common sense and do things based on "principle." When I make a lot of money based on a lot of hard work, I rarely have a happy customer....even if they "won." When my customer is being reasonable and the other side is being ridiculous, I deal with unhappy customers because they have to pay me more than they should really have to. I watch parents use their children as ropes in a tug of war or pawns in a game of chess. I watch the children rebel by taking complete control of their family situation because their parents are too busy hating one another or their new spouses. When I try to objectively compromise, I'm told I am not a fighter. When I fight, I'm told it costs too much to fight.

I'm good at my job. But I hate my job.

Unfortunately someone has got to do it. At least it is someone who is good at it and sees it for what it is. Thanks for doing such a thankless job so well.

There really are few winners in such situations. Society in general is worse off when families fail to make the important personal sacrifices to raise our children well.

Here's hoping 2013 brings a better sense of what is really important to those families torn apart because of pettiness, anger and greed.

XUFan09
12-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Ditto UCGRAD4X's comment.

But on a lighter note, this thread made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLl0DVzRksk

vee4xu
12-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SoWNMNKNeM

Nigel Tufnel
12-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Unfortunately someone has got to do it. At least it is someone who is good at it and sees it for what it is. Thanks for doing such a thankless job so well.

There really are few winners in such situations. Society in general is worse off when families fail to make the important personal sacrifices to raise our children well.

Here's hoping 2013 brings a better sense of what is really important to those families torn apart because of pettiness, anger and greed.

Thanks, man. I re-read the post and it makes me sound like a wussy. I'm really not. I just hate it when I can see the kids are obviously being affected. My job is safe...as long as people get married....sometimes its just the other side being dumb. But when its both sides being ridiculous, and it messes with the kids....its really frustrating.

Thanks for the well wishes for next year, but with this economy? It makes it even worse. You would think that it would make it better (not enough money to fight), but the result has been quite the opposite. Its people with not enough money wanting to fight, instead of realizing the situation they are in. Crazy..doesn't make any sense. But that's real life.

xudash
12-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks, man. I re-read the post and it makes me sound like a wussy. I'm really not. I just hate it when I can see the kids are obviously being affected. My job is safe...as long as people get married....sometimes its just the other side being dumb. But when its both sides being ridiculous, and it messes with the kids....its really frustrating.

Thanks for the well wishes for next year, but with this economy? It makes it even worse. You would think that it would make it better (not enough money to fight), but the result has been quite the opposite. Its people with not enough money wanting to fight, instead of realizing the situation they are in. Crazy..doesn't make any sense. But that's real life.

Actually, I think very highly of you because of that post.

Parental Alienation Syndrome (PAS) is serious and it's a tragedy.

The fact that you attempt to bring balance to the table and that you're trying to be objective and helpful speaks volumes about you, rather than those situations where divorce attorneys look for ways to run the meter.

WCWIII
01-14-2013, 08:29 PM
I am a particle astrophysicist (I had to double-check the spelling). Smashing particles, using telescopes ... Higgs bosons, dark matter, dark energy, and Xavier Basketball.

XU 87
01-15-2013, 07:19 AM
I am a particle astrophysicist (I had to double-check the spelling). Smashing particles, using telescopes ... Higgs bosons, dark matter, dark energy, and Xavier Basketball.

And to think you once copied my homework in 4th grade.

muskiefan82
01-15-2013, 07:58 AM

I expect some manner of device that invisibly knocks opponents free throws and shots away from the basket to appear at some point in the near future. USE YOUR GIFTS, MAN!!!

Xville
01-15-2013, 08:31 AM
I am a Senior Account Manager for a Media Company in Louisville, KY. The company I work for owns four radio stations here in the market, but we also have the ability to market to people thru digital network advertising and retargeting. Some days are good, somedays are bad. However, the best part of my job is helping small businesses with their marketing/advertising plans and knowing that I am responsible for a small slice of their success as their business grows.

Also, since I have no shame, if there are any owners or marketing managers looking for marketing/advertising help in Louisville or anywhere in the surrounding area, please pm me. Even if you don't operate a company close, but are looking to advertise in the digital world, contact me. I can and will help.

paulxu
01-15-2013, 08:38 AM
GoMuskies could use a little help on polishing his image.
He also has an unnatural affinity for Louisville for some reason.

GoMuskies
01-15-2013, 11:37 AM
GoMuskies could use a little help on polishing his image.
He also has an unnatural affinity for Louisville for some reason.

My image in impeccable.

My job is to keep really rich guys really rich (and hopefully assist in making them even richer).

outsideobserver11
01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
I am a financial advisor/registered representative; as well as an assistant college soccer coach. Ultimately, I want to be a head college soccer coach but have to gain a little bit more experience first.

RealDeal
01-15-2013, 12:11 PM
I run a center that helps kids with ADHD, Dyslexia, Autism, etc.

Xman95
01-15-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm in radio sales, plus have a gig as host of a radio show now. (But I've been looking to get into Med/Pharm sales if you have any contacts! Jumpy's helped on this front too...thanks, man.)

Masterofreality
01-15-2013, 12:18 PM
My image in impeccable.

My job is to keep really rich guys really rich (and hopefully assist in making them even richer).

Can you make me rich enough to just quit and allow me to be only a full-time Xavier Basketball groupie rather than just part-time?

GoMuskies
01-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Unfortuntely, I'm not making anyone rich. Just trying to help them out while they're making themselves rich(er). And hoping they'll shares some of the wealth!