PDA

View Full Version : A-10 Star Ballers: Ice Water in the Veins

LutherRackleyRulez
05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Per CollegeChalkTalk.......

Ice Water in the Veins

In late February while taking in a Charlotte 49ers game with friend John Akers of Basketball Times, we got talking about the game on a national level and, not surprisingly, the discussion led us to Kentucky's John Wall. In his one year in Lexington, Wall was praised for his play and deservedly so. Though tough to identify what elevated Wall over his peers by simply looking at a box score, unquestionably Wall had that certain "it" factor about him.

So John - Akers that is - set out to research what made Wall such a special player. Put simply, he found that Wall's numbers during the last five minutes of "close" ballgames were unparalleled. His piece can be found in the April edition of Basketball Times.

About eight weeks later, I've applied his analysis and incorporated some of my own tweaks to examine five Atlantic 10 guards in these 'close and late' situations.

http://collegechalktalk.com/atlantic10/2009-10/releases/5.2.10disano

xavierj
05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
I would be interested in seeing Terrell Holloway's stats in the last 5 minutes. Have to believe they would be very solid if not better than Jordan's.

smileyy
05-04-2010, 01:53 PM
I have to figured that Holloway is champing at the bit to take on Kevin Anderson.

Masterofreality
05-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I would be interested in seeing Terrell Holloway's stats in the last 5 minutes. Have to believe they would be very solid if not better than Jordan's.

Word.

That guy should have been analyzed.

SixFig
05-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Jordan's "Ice Water" was more important than just in the final five minutes. When others struggled throughout the game, Jordan created for himself and others. For instance during the Rhode Island game at Cintas this year, Crawford dished out about 8 points and 2 assists in around three minutes to effectively end the game early in the second half.

"Ice Water" is about dealing the death blow to your opponent, no matter what point in the game. I would use a baseball analogy...your setup man has to deal with the other team's 3,4, and 5 hitters but the closer deals with 6,7 and 8, who has the tougher job?