PDA

View Full Version : A10 Champion explanation

XUOHTX
03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
If we end up tied with Temple, at 14-2, are we really co-champions? Does the A10 not go to a tie breaker of head to head? I searched threads but couldn't find this question answered.

Denver Muskie
03-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Yes, we would be co-champs, but they would get the 1 seed for the tournament.

XU05and07
We would be co-champions with Temple taking the #1 seed in the tournament

gladdenguy
For the 500th time we are co-champions but we will not get the #1 seed because of tie-breaker.

GBXU
If we end up tied with Temple, at 14-2, are we really co-champions? Does the A10 not go to a tie breaker of head to head? I searched threads but couldn't find this question answered.

I've been wondering the exact same thing. They have to have some sort of tie-breaking process to decide who would be the #1 seed in the tourney too.

UPDATE- I see the responses... thanks.

XUOHTX
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I understood the tie-breaker for the tourney but, Co-Champion doesn't make sense to me. I know we have been that before and I never really thought it was right. By definition you can't have co-champions. Being that it helps us, I'll take it but it still feels tainted.

TempleU22
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
it's dumb, but yes we would be co champions

XUOHTX
03-01-2010, 02:10 PM
it's dumb, but yes we would be co champions

Do all conferences work this way?

The_Mack_Pack
03-01-2010, 02:10 PM
If Xavier wins outright does Mack win coach of the year in the A-10?

drudy23
03-01-2010, 02:11 PM
So what happens if we end with the same record?

dc_x
03-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Technically, if I remember correctly the A10 calls the tournament winner the "champion".

XUglow
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Do all conferences work this way?

Yes, as far as I know.

XU05and07
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM
It's not going to matter...SLU is gonna take out Temple on Wednesday

bobbiemcgee
03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
It's not going to matter...SLU is gonna take out Temple on Wednesday

I beleieve this to be true......Go Fat man!!

XUOHTX
03-01-2010, 02:26 PM
So this is like The Steelers saying they were AFC North Champions in 2005. Dumb.

smileyy
03-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I understood the tie-breaker for the tourney but, Co-Champion doesn't make sense to me. I know we have been that before and I never really thought it was right. By definition you can't have co-champions. Being that it helps us, I'll take it but it still feels tainted.

Most likely because of the unbalanced conference schedule. You can't really definitively declare winners and losers with that much accuracy when every team is playing a different schedule.

On the other hand, if the A-10 wanted to drop 4 schools and do a true round-robin schedule. That's actually feasible for the A-10. BCS/football conferences have to have 12 teams to do a conference championship (football) game, so those conferences will never be smaller than 12.

LA Muskie
03-01-2010, 02:33 PM
If Xavier wins outright does Mack win coach of the year in the A-10?
I would have to think that Dunphy and Majerus are the front-runners regardless. The down side to being the A-10 Dynasty is that, at this point, the players get too much credit for their talent for the coach to get COY. I've got to imagine that it's especially hard to get COY when you have a player at the top of the lists for POY..

Kahns Krazy
03-01-2010, 02:35 PM
I agree that it's a little weak for a team that ties the team that beat them head to head to call themselves co-champs, but that's how it works. I'll take a piece of it this year to keep the streak going.

And yes, the "Atlantic 10 Champion" is the winner of the conference tournament, and is the team that is awarded the automatic bid. This has been covered. It's not premature.

I believe X adds the year to the A 10 championship banner if we win (or co-win) the regular season or the conference tournament.

xudash
03-01-2010, 02:47 PM
I agree that it's a little weak for a team that ties the team that beat them head to head to call themselves co-champs, but that's how it works. I'll take a piece of it this year to keep the streak going.

And yes, the "Atlantic 10 Champion" is the winner of the conference tournament, and is the team that is awarded the automatic bid. This has been covered. It's not premature.

I believe X adds the year to the A 10 championship banner if we win (or co-win) the regular season or the conference tournament.

.............on the other hand, that team that beat us - Temple - lost to another team that was beaten by Xavier.

I absolutely accept that we will be co-champs if the records are tied at the end because it is about AGGREGATE PERFORMANCE.

At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

blobfan
03-01-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't think Temple should get full credit for their win since they got us at home and didn't have to play us at the 'Tas. We get full credit for beating Richmond though because the OTs make it worth more than just one game.
:D

NY44
03-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Yeah but we beat two teams that they've lost to since they beat us, if anything I think we deserve it more than them because since that loss we've had more success.

XUOHTX
03-01-2010, 03:50 PM
I like these explanations...

LA Muskie
03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah but we beat two teams that they've lost to since they beat us, if anything I think we deserve it more than them because since that loss we've had more success.
Then again, of all the losses our loss to Dayton was the worst...

stophorseabuse
03-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Umass was co-champs 3 seasons ago--even though we beat them head to head. I wish it was outright, but I'll take a co-regular season championship.

The A-10 does recognize regular season championships, and I think every coach would rather have that anyway.

MADXSTER
03-01-2010, 05:21 PM
During Selection Sunday and throughout the tourneyment, teams are often recognized by commentators as the #### regular season champions or #### tourneyment champions.