PDA

View Full Version : Careening Toward 4 Bids

jdm2000
02-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Don't look now, but the A10 is heading back toward 4 bids. URI and Charlotte have really choked it away. A brief look at some contenders (ymmv):

Temple: A lock. Solid RPI, good schedule headed toward an A10 title (it's a pretty easy one the rest of the way), good non-con wins against Villanova and Siena. Play well and they are looking at a nice seed.

Richmond: Solidly in. A nice non-con with wins of ODU, Florida, Mississippi St., and Missouri (none necessarily great, all pretty solid). I think that they have a tough road ahead as far as winning the title, with games remaining at X and Charlotte, and home to Dayton.

Xavier: Solidly in. Profile continues improving. Solid non-con wins against UC, Florida, and (surprisingly?) Kent State. Close calls at WF and Butler won't necessarily count for anything but seemed to have helped the team figure out how to win on the road. Perhaps the best strength is the record against the top of the A10--wins over URI and Charlotte, a split with Dayton, and still the chance to beat SLU and Richmond. 12 A-10 wins seems very likely with games remaining @Fordham and home to St. Bona; beat SLU and hold serve against Richmond and you get 14-2.

Dayton: Bubblicious. Non-con seems to be getting worse, as Georgia Tech has turned into a middling ACC team, though ODU is a good win (if not necessarily an at-large pick). The loss to St. Joe's is a bad one--the Hawks may be a sub-200 RPI team by the end of the season. The schedule is not a help, as they are @Duq, @Temple, @Richmond, and home to a tough SLU team. Given their road woes, it is hard to see them doing any better than 3-2 the rest of the way. If the 3 wins include Temple and Richmond, I think they are solidly in.

URI: Fading fast. The RPI loves them (X's best RPI win), but the highlight of the non-con are wins over Okla. State and Northeastern. (I think Boston College could be a top 100 win by the end of the year.) Their win @ Dayton is helpful, and could be a big deal come selection time. But they are fading fast at 7-5 in the league. With a closing schedule of Fordham, @ St. Bona, Charlotte, and @ UMass, there's no reason they can't finish 4-0. If they do, I think that they have a legit shot.

Charlotte: Outside. Only non-con win of note is L'ville, though the wins in conference over Temple and Richmond are very solid. RPI is in the 50s, though, and the wheels seem to be coming off. Tough closing schedule with URI and Richmond thrown in there. I'm afraid that they will need to win out and make the A-10 finals, or else win the tourney, to get in. (Also, though they don't have any sub-100 RPI losses, they have been shellacked by Duke, ODU, Tennessee, and Dayton, which has to give you pause.)

SLU, of course, is in the thick of the race and will impact everything, but I think they are coming from too far behind to have a real shot at an at-large.

With all that in mind, the top three teams seem to be in pretty good shape. Dayton probably has the best profile of the next three, but they have a tough schedule (I really don't trust them on the road, and I think they have to win at either Temple or Richmond). If URI was playing just a little better, I'd place them as 4th most likely to get there.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Temple, UR, and Xavier are in, along with whoever finishes stronger of URI and Dayton (I'll say URI). I think 6 bids is really unlikely now, and 5 may require some team (SLU? Charlotte? Dayton?) beating URI in the A-10 finals.

xsteve1
02-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Really only 3 locks, X, UR and Temple. Dayton has to win at Dookane or they will be on the outside looking in with Charlotte and URI.

Masterofreality
02-20-2010, 05:45 PM
With the horriffic Pac 10, I still think 5.

I never bought the 6 hype. It's not like these A-10 teams are blowing games to San Francisco or Loyola Marymount.

- Charlotte now has big problems unless they win out, beat Richmond and at least win a game or two in the A-10 Tourney. Unless the dump screws it up, though, I think that they'll be in with Rhody and the "Big 3".

waggy
02-20-2010, 06:58 PM
I think 5 get in. Rhody really screwed up losing 2 games at home though. They could have made up for it by winning at SLU, but didn't. If they win out the regular season I think they get in, but their final game at UMass will probably be the key.

jdm2000
02-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Oy, Dayton is just untrustable on the road. Stick a fork in them.

I now think URI is going to be the 4th team pretty clearly, and that SLU has a legit shot to win the A-10 title.

I also think that it is entirely possible that UD will end up 8-8; I think they have a loss in them against Richmond and they could lose in Dayton to SLU.

danaandvictory
02-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Oy, Dayton is just untrustable on the road. Stick a fork in them.

Dayton doesn't pass the smell test, but the rest of the bubble is so weak that they still have a viable chance at an at-large. Hard to believe, but if they win their two remaining home games plus a first round home A-10 game, then sneak through to the conference final I think they probably get in.