PDA

View Full Version : Rick Majerus Wants Out of the A-10

BandAid
01-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Rick Majerus Saint Louis a Bad Fit in the A-10 - AP Story (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/01/21/stlouis.atlantic10.ap/index.html)

The long and short of it is, Saint Louis is so far away from most A-10 counterparts. Majerus in particular says, ""No one wants to go to Olean, N.Y., (St. Bonaventure) and Massachusetts and those places," Majerus said. I'm glad I finally agree on something with Big Rick - no one wants to go to Olean.

Why is this such a problem? It keeps the players away from their studies. It is expensive. East Coast airports suck. And there are ro real regional rivalries for Saint Louis. (All according to Majerus).

Majerus would ultimately prefer being in the Missouri Valley.

So here's the question: Should we care? Will the A-10 suffer if Saint Louis leaves? Or will no one notice?

X-Fan
01-21-2010, 09:50 PM
I could care less if Saint Louis leaves the A10. It's not like they've done anything to help the league since they joined.

spazzrico
01-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Rick Majerus Saint Louis a Bad Fit in the A-10 - AP Story (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/01/21/stlouis.atlantic10.ap/index.html)

The long and short of it is, Saint Louis is so far away from most A-10 counterparts. Majerus in particular says, ""No one wants to go to Olean, N.Y., (St. Bonaventure) and Massachusetts and those places," Majerus said. I'm glad I finally agree on something with Big Rick - no one wants to go to Olean.

Why is this such a problem? It keeps the players away from their studies. It is expensive. East Coast airports suck. And there are ro real regional rivalries for Saint Louis. (All according to Majerus).

Majerus would ultimately prefer being in the Missouri Valley.

So here's the question: Should we care? Will the A-10 suffer if Saint Louis leaves? Or will no one notice?

I personally won't care a bit. The MVC would be a better fit geographically. Dump Fordham too and it will be fine with me.

D-West & PO-Z
01-21-2010, 09:56 PM
It would probably make more sense for SLU to join the MVC. I just hope it wouldnt happen in the next 2-3 years. SLU is going to have a really nice team over the next few years. Majerus has finally cleaned house and has his recruits, and he recruits very well. He finds hidden gems. His first recruiting class is only sophomores, and it is a good class led by Kwamain Mitchell and Willie Reed. The freshman class is also a good one led by Cody Ellis who was cleared by the NCAA last month and is off to a great start. SLU has been playing really well so far this year, but next year is the breakout year. They dont have a senior on the team and they have one jr, a former walk-on, who has been out the whole year with a knee injury and would play very little if at all anyway.

GuyFawkes38
01-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, every time this comes up, it looks like the administration is firmly behind staying in the A10.

The MVC would be a better fit in a lot of ways. My guess is that the administration likes being affiliated with a group of marginally stronger, more private/religious academic schools.

D-West & PO-Z
01-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah Majerus hasnt really liked being in the A10 since he first was hired but I dont think SLU is going anywhere anytime soon.

waggy
01-21-2010, 10:14 PM
They build a new arena that cost I don't know how many millions, and bring in a high profile coach at a mill a year, only to step down to the MVC over student academics? I'm sorry, but that looks like someone who gets paid a lot of money to bring home a winner doesn't maybe like the fact he could be finishing 4th or 5th even with his better teams. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the academic side, but I can't believe SLU's challenges are SO MUCH greater than other schools, where a change to another conference is necessary. If they go, they go, but SLU has made the commitment that X fans want out of so many other conference institutions.

D-West & PO-Z
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
They build a new arena that cost I don't know how many millions, and bring in a high profile coach at a mill a year, only to step down to the MVC over student academics? I'm sorry, but that looks like someone who gets paid a lot of money to bring home a winner doesn't maybe like the fact he could be finishing 4th or 5th even with his better teams. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the academic side, but I can't believe SLU's challenges are SO MUCH greater than other schools, where a change to another conference is necessary. If they go, they go, but SLU has made the commitment that X fans want out of so many other conference institutions.

It does seem a little over the top but I dont think Majerus says it because he wants an easier conference. He really is and has been a stickler for academics and a guy who isnt afraid to bench players if they arent taking care of that aspect. If you think about it though SLU is a 5hr 30min car ride (more on a bus) just to Cincinnati and Xavier. Even Xavier is pretty far West compared to most of the A10 teams. It doesnt make much sense geographically. However, like I said, I dont want them to leave and I dont think they will anytime soon.

waggy
01-21-2010, 10:28 PM
D-West, This is major college hoops. Millions of dollars. Millions. Please, it's not really about academics, and if Majerus doesn't know this he's even crazier than he acts. The bus versus the plane? Really?

The problem with Majerus is the only thing you can really control him with is food. Honestly.

GuyFawkes38
01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
ok, does every thread about Majerus have to have a random comment about his weight.

It's obviously in bad form for Majerus to make these comments. It shows a rift between SLU administration and himself. And it also sort of gives his players an excuse to behave badly.

Beyond that, wasn't Majerus in the WAC conference at Utah (the most spread out conference in college sports history).

D-West & PO-Z
01-21-2010, 10:38 PM
D-West, This is major college hoops. Millions of dollars. Millions. Please, it's not really about academics, and if Majerus doesn't know this he's even crazier than he acts. The bus versus the plane? Really?

The problem with Majerus is the only thing you can really control him with is food. Honestly.

Do you think the A10 makes more sense than the MVC for SLU?

The MVC has even been a better conference than the A10 a few years over the last decade.

waggy
01-21-2010, 10:39 PM
ok, does every thread about Majerus have to have a random comment about his weight.

Whether your aggravation is feigned or real, I do not care.

waggy
01-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Do you think the A10 makes more sense than the MVC for SLU?

I don't know, but I have hard time believing it's about money because SLU just made a huge financial commitment both in it's arena and coach. And for the same reasons, I have a hard time believing it's about academics. By process of elimination, it's avoiding competition.

The MVC has even been a better conference than the A10 a few years over the last decade.

I might split hairs and say that "few" is an exaggeration. Majerus would seem to agree with me.

STL_XUfan
01-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Majerus is just pissed that SLU has to fly to all of the A-10 games instead of taking a bus. He isn't allowed to fly naked, but on a team bus he can ride however he wants.

xsteve1
01-22-2010, 02:38 AM
I think what it comes down to is that Majerus thinks he can rule the MVC just like he did the MWC (not sure if that was the name of the league when he was at Utah). SLU will never dominate the A10. Also whats the difference between a 3-4 hour bus rid or a 1-2 hour flight, I personally would rather fly.

Masterofreality
01-22-2010, 06:26 AM
Let 'em go- and take LaSuck, F-m and one other school, not named Charlotte, Temple, Rhody, Richmond, St. Joes or UMass with them.

Get this league back down to 10 schools. Play a home and home schedule and this would be a real good league.

I haven't had much use for St. Looie since they followed along like lapdogs behind Marquette out of the MCC to the Great Midwest in 1990. Then they dragged stupid udump along with them. I do like that when they went to Convict USA later, they left the dump by the side of the alley, then we had to rescue their sorry asses.

Let 'em go to another league.

Muskie1000
01-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Let 'em go- and take LaSuck, F-m and one other school, not named Charlotte, Temple, Rhody, Richmond, St. Joes or UMass with them.

Get this league back down to 10 schools. Play a home and home schedule and this would be a real good league.

I haven't had much use for St. Looie since they followed along like lapdogs behind Marquette out of the MCC to the Great Midwest in 1990. Then they dragged stupid udump along with them. I do like that when they went to Convict USA later, they left the dump by the side of the alley, then we had to rescue their sorry asses.

Let 'em go to another league.

I always thought the same things - but you summed it up quite nicely. Let them go - really, what have they brought to the league except boring basketball.

Snipe
01-22-2010, 07:14 AM
I think with terrorism spending a lot of time in airports is different than it used to be. I don't know if SLU charters flights. If not then maybe they should.

The A-10 is a pain and you get no good road trips. If we split it to two divisions it would be easier for teams like SLU.

I don't want them to leave because I bet he gets them ranked in the next year. Also I have always been a big fan of Rick.

DC Muskie
01-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Did a millionaire just complain about how expense it is to stay in New York and has to use his connections to stay cheaper?

Jesus SLU. Go. Nobody even knows you are in the league and we certainly won't go back to divisions to make it easier for you. Whatever that means.

Play as an independent. MH would love that.

XU05and07
01-22-2010, 07:52 AM
I don't like Majerus in the A10...he has done nothing for that team. They have gotten worse under him.

BBC 08
01-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Interesting story on Majerus and the St. Louis media: link (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/dancaesar/story/01ACF1B11E1B1267862576B3000C6C9D?OpenDocument)

XU05and07
01-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I don't like Majerus in the A10...he has done nothing for that team. They have gotten worse under him.

of course...no one does well under him

http://www.picturesof.net/_images_300/A_Man_Being_Crushed_By_a_Hippo_Royalty_Free_Clipar t_Picture_090916-003292-017009.jpg

American X
01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Wait. Stop. Come back.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2004/09/10/sqwonka.jpg

SLU was not forced into joining the A-10. SLU chose to join the A-10. The Illuminati in Philadelphia were not withholding the secrets of geography beforehand.

xunorm
01-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Majerus is wearing out his welcome at SLU. The stories are coming out about his past, and he does not seem to be open to the media (being from St. Louis, I read the sports section at stltoday.com regularly). I think he is bringing in talent, and who cares if he feels they have to travel all over the place. I agree that they chose to join the conference, and they should accept it. They at least play at .500 level, so they can stay. Fordham on the other hand...

The_Mack_Pack
01-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I like SLU in the A-10 even if they are geographically far away. Us Xavier fans complain about the A-10 all the time and it's not like SLU is a bad team. They have 4 sophomores and the rest of the players on their team are freshman. They will be very good next year and will probably help the league a lot more than hurt it.

D-West & PO-Z
01-22-2010, 07:30 PM

You get the dumbest post of the day award.

CinciX12
01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Geographically it doesn't make sense to have them in the A10 its true.

If they leave, I say we use that opportunity to kick Fordham, La Salle, and St. Bonnies the hell out.

MADXSTER
01-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Easy, Put the food in front of his face and he'll follow....

http://dminorsound.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/HotDogonaSticklogo.jpg

GuyFawkes38
01-23-2010, 09:54 PM
There's some rumors going around that Majerus might be interested in the Depaul job. It would be closer to his ill mother in Milwaukee. Still, Depaul is a crappy job. If the rumors persists, I think it shows that Majerus must have some issues with the administration at SLU.

jdm2000
01-24-2010, 08:24 AM
I used to like Majerus, until the stories about him started coming out of the woodwork. There was one on deadspin that was particularly alarming....

joebba
01-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Majerus has a big mouth and ... well a big everything. His mouth may just get him what he wants - fired.

D-West & PO-Z
01-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Majerus has a big mouth and ... well a big everything. His mouth may just get him what he wants - fired.

Ugh, I hate comments like this. You have no idea what you are talking about. Majerus is not going to be fired. That is asinine.

BandAid
01-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Leech at Texas Tech had a big mouth too, but Tech couldn't do anything about it until he royally screwed up. Majerus has certainly rubbed a few people the wrong way, but nothing worth getting fired over...yet.

waggy
01-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Ugh, I hate comments like this. You have no idea what you are talking about. That is asinine.

Ugh, I hate comments like this. You have no idea what you are talking about. That is asinine.

D-West & PO-Z
01-24-2010, 02:04 PM

I do know that SLU isnt going to fire Rick Majerus, who finally has his own players, a team full of really good young talent, because he said he thinks the MVC would be better for SLU than the A10. Anyone who thinks that is a fool.

waggy
01-24-2010, 02:09 PM
I do know that SLU isnt going to fire Rick Majerus, who finally has his own players, a team full of really good young talent, because he said he thinks the MVC would be better for SLU than the A10.

Why couldn't/didn't you just say this? Rhetorically.

D-West & PO-Z
01-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Why couldn't/didn't you just say this? Rhetorically.

It should have been fairly obvious through my comment that I thought it was a dumb comment because a 1 million dollar a year coach is not going to get fired because of saying he thought different conference was better for his team.

If you didnt know that was my point then why couldnt/didnt you just say so?

waggy
01-24-2010, 02:24 PM
It always amazes me how obviously intellegent people get totally scrambled when it comes to people skills. My issue with this particular post of yours (and many others of yours) has nothing to do with your belief(s) (we all have different opinions), it's your delivery and the your fairly frequent name calling such as idiot, fool, dumb, etc. Does the fact you didn't see that this was the real issue make you "dumb"?

D-West & PO-Z
01-24-2010, 02:49 PM
It always amazes me how obviously intellegent people get totally scrambled when it comes to people skills. My issue with this particular post of yours (and many others of yours) has nothing to do with your belief(s) (we all have different opinions), it's your delivery and the your fairly frequent name calling such as idiot, fool, dumb, etc. Does the fact you didn't see that this was the real issue make you "dumb"?

I knew what your real issue was, I didnt get why you had an issue, and for that matter dont care if you have an issue. I called no one a name in my original post that you questioned. The person I was responding to made a comment that held no water. Just because people dont like what Majerus says doesnt mean he should be fired and I dont like when people assume that SLU has a problem with his saying that and that as a result they are going to fire him. I know a lot about the SLU program and the school and I am around it. So I dont like it when people make completely offbase comments on a program they arent even following.

Please pull up my other posts since all of them are name calling and mean spirited I would love to see them. I have over 3,000 posts and you are making it seem like they are all filled with hatred. Give me a break. My original post had none of that.

Oh and I love the people skills comment. HA!

waggy
01-24-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm not getting into long winded bullshit like some bitch. When it comes to posters here that call other posters stupid, dumb, whatever, you lead by a wide margin. You've been told multiple times, and I don't care how many posts you have.

D-West & PO-Z
01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm not getting into long winded bullshit like some bitch. When it comes to posters here that call other posters stupid, dumb, whatever, you lead by a wide margin. You've been told multiple times, and I don't care how many posts you have.

Oh man, what a joke Waggy.

I am the poster who calls people names the most? Are you kidding me? Comedy.

As to being told multiple times, I have no idea what you are talking about. I have not been told anything multiple times regarding my posts, but as a moderator it is easy for you to lie about and make it seem so as if yourself or other moderators have had too send me private messages or give me official warnings, neither of which are true.

I think as a moderator of this board and one that has been complained about a lot, should grow up. That is my warning to you. You are now on notice.

The funniest part about this whole thing is that my post in question was insulting to no one and was calling no one a name.

Dont let the "power" go to your head man.

The reason you dont want to get into some long winded bullshit like some "bitch" (not sure what that means), is because your argument has no merit.

waggy
01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
I am the poster who calls people names the most? Are you kidding me? Comedy.

I didn't have to go very far in the "archives" to find another example. Oh looky, this just from today...

http://www.xavierhoops.com/forums/showthread.php?p=168500#post168500

American X
01-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Shut up, idiot. I have had to private message you to stop attacking other posters. Guess that makes you a liar too.

Cincypunk.org
01-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Wow, worst thread ever.

BandAid
01-24-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm really not trying to stir the pot, but I think there may be a serious difference in what we may consider inflammatory. Is seems to be a difference of disputing a post and attacking a poster. There is a line where disputing a post sounds like attacking a poster.

I feel like D-West constantly bumps up against that line. It's something I have gotten used to, so I tend to disregard it if it ever happens to me. There are times that I wish D-West would be more political with his responses, and other times I admire his bluntness.

Ultimately, it is what it is. Like Snipe's political ramblings, Glow's amazing avatars, X Communicator's satire or Tardy Turtle's stoicism. I don't expect them to change.

D-West & PO-Z
01-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Shut up, idiot. I have had to private message you to stop attacking other posters. Guess that makes you a liar too.

Ha, I love that.

I also love how you say posters. As in plural.

I have ONE message from you that told me to stop sniping with another poster. That is it.

I also have one from way back from Waggy that said my tone sounded harsh towards another person which I immediately sent him one back and apologized.

I just went throught my last 500 posts and found one post where I told Guy not to be stupid (I am sure no one has ever done that before).

One post where I called an argument of Muskie in Dayton's stupid, AFTER he had called my argument stupid.

And in the thread about Majerus I called a post by someone the dumb post of the day award because he had said Majerus has done nothing for the basketball program of SLU and has actually made it worse. It does piss me off when people make comments about SLU or Majerus when most dont follow the program at all now or hadnt in the past and they make comments like that.

I challenge Waggy to go back and look at every poster's last 500 posts and make sure I really am the poster who BY FAR makes the most personal attacks on other posters, since he feels so strongly about it. :D

waggy
01-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I'd like to apologize to everyone for my abuse of power.

joebba
01-24-2010, 07:57 PM

I am sorry my lame attempt at sarcastic, and at best, rude humor got blown up.

Xavierblobforce400
01-24-2010, 08:21 PM
I'd like to apologize to everyone for my abuse of power.

... RIP D-West? Hmmm Ill notify the press.

MADXSTER
01-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I'd like to apologize to Dayton for the ass kicking that Xavier gave them.....nah.

mr. zimpher
01-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Rick Majerus, however, DOES NOT want out of the buffet line.

GuyFawkes38
01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
If I was a SLU fan, I couldn't care less about how overweight and creepy Majerus is (there are much worst things...Majerus does run a clean program).

The problem is that your paying a million dollars for a coach that has nothing to prove and lose (there's a ESPN job waiting for him). I think it's a much better strategy for AD's to hire coaches 35-40 years old. They are hungry. They don't have a lot of money. They have a family to support. And they generally have more energy and relate to the players better than a 50 year old.

Of course, Majerus still has time to prove all of us wrong.

MADXSTER
01-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I lost alot of respect for Majerus and St Louis when they let him dump players after he got there. That was just wrong IMO. Xavier didn't dump players when they moved from the MCC to the A10 or with any coaching change. Majerus just cleaned house and the University let him and that was crap. Who is running the university? Ah, Majerus.

GuyFawkes38
01-24-2010, 10:15 PM
I lost alot of respect for Majerus and St Louis when they let him dump players after he got there. That was just wrong IMO. Xavier didn't dump players when they moved from the MCC to the A10 or with any coaching change. Majerus just cleaned house and the University let him and that was crap. Who is running the university? Ah, Majerus.

I'm not a fan of that either. But both Matta and Miller have pressured kids to leave. College basketball is a brutal world not unlike any other professional league.

D-West & PO-Z
01-24-2010, 10:17 PM

I dont understand where people got the idea that he came in and kicked people off the team. Why is is that you think this? Did players transfer after the coaching change? Yeah they did. A lot of teams have players transfer after a coaching change.

Masterofreality
01-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm not a fan of that either. But both Matta and Miller have pressured kids to leave. College basketball is a brutal world not unlike any other professional league.

....And where do you have the proof for that? Nowhere.

Look, everyone knows that I'm no fan of either Beaknose or Raccoon Face, but any accusation that they "pressured kids to leave" is just wrong.

GuyFawkes38
01-24-2010, 10:22 PM
I dont understand where people got the idea that he came in and kicked people off the team. Why is is that you think this? Did players transfer after the coaching change? Yeah they did. A lot of teams have players transfer after a coaching change.

Calipari is a good example. And I'm sure some players want to leave after a coaching change. But I'm sure there's also players who don't but feel pressured to do so.

GuyFawkes38
01-24-2010, 10:23 PM
....And where do you have the proof for that? Nowhere.

Look, everyone knows that I'm no fan of either Beaknose or Raccoon Face, but any accusation that they "pressured kids to leave" is just wrong.

I think we have had this conversation before. I know a walk on who is 100% positive that Matta forced out Jason Williams.

MADXSTER
01-24-2010, 10:24 PM
D, only because that's what I read. Can't quote where I read it. Just remember thinking WOW. I was shocked and surprised. It said something to the effect that Majerus didn 't think they were up to the level of playing his liking. I remember expecting him to bring in some top recruits, but he didn't. Just thought he swapped out average players with average players. Just thought it was wrong.

STL_XUfan
01-24-2010, 10:24 PM

I never liked the double standard of scholarships are for 1 year and the school has the choice to renew (or not for whatever reason), while if a player wants to leave the school he has to sit out a year.

I think if a players grades are adequate and he follows the team rules schools should live up to their scholarship offer for all 4 years.

MADXSTER
01-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Everytime a new Xavier coach has come in, the new coach tries to keep all the recruits and players from leaving. Guess that's what I'm use to seeing.

D-West & PO-Z
01-24-2010, 10:34 PM
D, only because that's what I read. Can't quote where I read it. Just remember thinking WOW. I was shocked and surprised. It said something to the effect that Majerus didn 't think they were up to the level of playing his liking. I remember expecting him to bring in some top recruits, but he didn't. Just thought he swapped out average players with average players. Just thought it was wrong.

Can you find that article anywhere online? Not saying you didnt read it, but I have never seen it and I cant find it.

I looked at SLUs roster the year before Majerus and his first year and there are 4 guys who had eligibility left and were not on SLUs team the next year. One was a guy who only played 5 games and who I believe was on the ousts with Sodeberg in his last year, I dont remembers the details. One was Dustin Mcguire who transferred to NKU, he played 15 games the year before and was the best guy who left. The other two I dont really remember and am not sure if one of them was even a scholarship player. He never went anywhere else to play.

GuyFawkes38
01-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Everytime a new Xavier coach has come in, the new coach tries to keep all the recruits and players from leaving. Guess that's what I'm use to seeing.

True. It's been sort of a rough ride. There was the entire abortion thing too (a lot of the blame should go to the Bishop for that, but does Majerus have to be so politically active? Your at a Catholic school. Conservative, pro-life boosters pay your salary!!!).

Yeah, beyond that, hiring old, proven, entitled coaching legends usually doesn't work. Like I said before, it's better to hire a young, desperate candidate who is 35 to 40 years old.

MADXSTER
01-24-2010, 10:44 PM
D, I didn't say they were good. But that sounds about right. I just don't care about cleaning house. Good or bad players.

waggy
01-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Interview with Majerus worth a read: http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/dukesblog/archive/2010/01/25/rick-majerus-clarifies-what-he-said-about-the-a10.aspx

D-West & PO-Z
01-25-2010, 08:23 PM
D, I didn't say they were good. But that sounds about right. I just don't care about cleaning house. Good or bad players.

My point was that I believe one guy who didnt come back was a walk on, one was leaving anyway even if Sodeberg was the coach still, and the other two just transferred. I seriously dont believe that Majerus said hey you got to go I am taking away your scholarship. Those players may have wanted to know what their role was going to be and he said to them you know what I dont see you getting much playing time, or anymore than you did the year before and maybe they didnt like it and left. To say Majerus made them leave is a rumor at best unless anyone can provide an actual article that says otherwise.

GoMuskies
01-25-2010, 08:54 PM
I'll see what I can find, but I am pretty sure this all happened after Rick's first year, not before.

GoMuskies
01-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Here's the SLU messageboard thread on it, though I flipped through the first four or five pages and did not see a link to an actual article:

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14671&st=0

MADXSTER
01-26-2010, 11:55 AM
I agree with this post but then again, haven't lived in their skin for the umteenth season.

"i hope strickland is wrong. but i dont doubt it. too bad rickma and his staff arent good enough to take an offseason and try to coach up the talent they knew they had when they took the jobs. that is what i thought a coach did. instead it has been pretty evident all year they went out of their way to do just the opposite with the names mentioned.

second, strickland, you pos. you couldnt wait one week to make this statement and let the season finish? you are a total jerk off. nothing could be worse timing for an already disappointing season. couldnt you let the kids finish the season first? while some fans only dream of immediate satisfaction and glory others might think the kids that worked hard all year practicing and playing deserved at least that. plus, do you think this might be a little bit of a distraction to the team? you are about the lowest scum out there strickland. you suck.

this isnt a surprise, but after the way rickma started acting human after the first of the year i thought maybe he might do the right thing and try to actually coach. i guess if this is true, i was wrong."

coasterville95
01-26-2010, 12:21 PM
I seem to recall the whole Majerus cleaning house and revoking schollies thread when it first happened. I seem to recall it caused some healthy debate.

So, their primary reason for wanting out is travel expenses? Or, at least that's the party line reason. Who hid the roster of the A10 school's addresses and access to Google Earth while they were contemplating this major decision in the future of their athletic program?

I have to agree that after building a brand new multi million dollar arena, hiriing a high profile coach, their program is aspiring to reach a new high for their program. The road to that goes through performing at the top of your conference (or near the top of your conference) on a consitent basis. If they want to be the perennial A10 second place team and earn some NCAA tourney credits, go for it.

But to start making a bold public move to advancing the state of your basketball program, to then announce you were going to an inferior conference would be sort of backwards, would it not?

At least they seem to be putting more into striving for baskeball success than, oh say, that program that trades on the fact they are using the "nation's oldest gym"

GuyFawkes38
01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
I have to agree that after building a brand new multi million dollar arena, hiriing a high profile coach, their program is aspiring to reach a new high for their program. The road to that goes through performing at the top of your conference (or near the top of your conference) on a consitent basis. If they want to be the perennial A10 second place team and earn some NCAA tourney credits, go for it.

But to start making a bold public move to advancing the state of your basketball program, to then announce you were going to an inferior conference would be sort of backwards, would it not?

At least they seem to be putting more into striving for basketball success than, oh say, that program that trades on the fact they are using the "nation's oldest gym"

Yeah, when you build a program, success should come before facilities.

I get annoyed when X fans bitch about how cheap other A10 basketball programs are. I think SLU right now is providing us a great example of why most A10 schools decide not to heavily invest in their basketball program.

If I was the AD of GW, Lasalle, Fordham, St. Bona ect.. there is no way I would follow the SLU model and bankrupt my school. The best thing an AD can do at the above schools is to assemble a young, passionate coaching staff and worry about facilities down the road.

Staak, Gillin, and Prosser built the Cintas center...not the other way around.

(I don't know the situation at SLU. Maybe they have a lot of cash sitting around. St. Louis is a big city without another good basketball team. So maybe it's not that risky of a move)

MADXSTER
01-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Just looking at Rivals Saint Louis recruiting.

Cory Remekun Rivals 0 star
Cody Ellis Rivals 0 star
Christian Salecich Rivals 0 star
Jonathan Smith Rivals 2 star
Jeff Reid Rivals 3 star

Daniel Lisch Rivals 0 star
Femi John Rivals 2 star
Brian Conklin rivals 2 star
Kyle Cassity Rivals 3 star
Willie Reed Rvials 3 star
Kwamain Mitchell Rivals 3 star
Brett Thompson Rivals 3 star #107

Not saying that these guys aren't any good, but I honestly thought he would be bringing in better talent.

XUglow
01-26-2010, 02:36 PM

Dang. What are the odds of signing a player whose rating matches your waist size?

D-West & PO-Z
01-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Cory Remekun Rivals 0 star
Cody Ellis Rivals 0 star
Christian Salecich Rivals 0 star
Jonathan Smith Rivals 2 star
Jeff Reid Rivals 3 star

Daniel Lisch Rivals 0 star
Femi John Rivals 2 star
Brian Conklin rivals 2 star
Kyle Cassity Rivals 3 star
Willie Reed Rvials 3 star
Kwamain Mitchell Rivals 3 star

Not saying that these guys aren't any good, but I honestly thought he would be bringing in better talent.

Once again recruiting sites arent always the best source. Especially when it comes to foreign players like Ellis and Salecich both from Australia and both having really good years, while Brett Thompson was terrible last year and transferred.

Majerus has never brought 4/5 star recruits to his schools, I dont know why you thought he would start now. However he does find good recruits who he makes better. Andre Miller, Michael Doleac, Keith Van Horn, and others. Soon to be Kwamain Mitchell, Willie Reed, Cody Ellis, Kyle Cassiy, Christian Salecich and others. SLU has got some great young talent. However young is the key word, the youngest team in the country. The nest two years should bring some great basketball from SLU.