PDA

View Full Version : Matt Pilgrim

Fam93
06-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Since the latest guy in the Calipari scholarship cut backs is from Cincy let me be the first to start the rumor that Xavier is on his list.
http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/827800.html

ballyhoohoo
06-12-2009, 08:29 AM
http://www.manlyweb.com/realmen/entertainment/johnwayne.gif
"Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim."

XU05and07
06-12-2009, 08:53 AM
We have a need for a PF...Pilgrim is a solid PF...pure speculation at this point, but could be a potential fit

My UK fan friends were wishing others would leave and that Pilgrim would stay. They say that he was a beast in workouts and worked well against Patterson in practice.

doubleXman
06-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Don't get too hasty, he might not choose Xavier, so I am not getting my hopes up until I see info that he is interested in X. I hate rumors because they get hopes up, usually for nothing, I like to see the facts.

ballyhoohoo
06-12-2009, 09:11 AM
If he transfers what is the chance of the NCAA giving him a waiver on the grounds he was forces out at UK and that Calapari is a slimey doucher

D-West & PO-Z
06-12-2009, 09:32 AM
If he transfers what is the chance of the NCAA giving him a waiver on the grounds he was forces out at UK and that Calapari is a slimey doucher

If UK didnt renew his scholarship I would think it would be 100%. Are you free to go wherever then? Could a walkon at XU transfer to another D1 school without having to sit?

joe titan
06-12-2009, 09:51 AM
DWest: you pose (pun intended) 2 distinct questions; not sure here but I think the transfer rules apply to scholarship players. Thus a "walk-on" being a non-scholarship player would not sit out a year; on the other hand b/c Pilgrim was a scholatrship player last year he --absent waiver--is required to wait.

boozehound
06-12-2009, 09:57 AM
That would be pretty messed up if they made him sit out a year after getting forced out a UK.

D-West & PO-Z
06-12-2009, 10:01 AM
DWest: you pose (pun intended) 2 distinct questions; not sure here but I think the transfer rules apply to scholarship players. Thus a "walk-on" being a non-scholarship player would not sit out a year; on the other hand b/c Pilgrim was a scholatrship player last year he --absent waiver--is required to wait.

I understand that he was a scholarship player but was under the impression from this thread that it was not renewed for the next year. So he is essentially the same as a walk on that is why I was making the comparison.

KC4X
06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
"Sometimes royalty (wins out) over loyalty," the player's father said.

D-West & PO-Z
06-12-2009, 10:30 AM

What does he expect, the kid went to UK. The fans would sell their own children to see UK win a title again.

PMI
06-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't know if there's any reason to believe that he's even thinking about looking at X, but if there's any justice in the world, it would be awesome if something that Cal did would come back to benefit us. The kid deserves to be eligible right away, which doesn't necessarily mean a thing to the NCAA, but man would it be nice to have another capable PF on the roster next year. Also, to his dad, if your son getting his degree is your main priority as you say, take a look at the school in your own backyard.

That all said, I think there's about a 1% chance he wears Xavier blue next year.

D-West & PO-Z
06-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't know if there's any reason to believe that he's even thinking about looking at X, but if there's any justice in the world, it would be awesome if something that Cal did would come back to benefit us. The kid deserves to be eligible right away, which doesn't necessarily mean a thing to the NCAA, but man would it be nice to have another capable PF on the roster next year. Also, to his dad, if your son getting his degree is your main priority as you say, take a look at the school in your own backyard.

That all said, I think there's about a 1% chance he wears Xavier blue next year.

I am failing to understand how there would even be a chance this kid couldnt play immediately wherever he goes. If UK did not renew his scholarship he is like I said before essentially a walk on, if they even would keep him on the team as that. I dont understand how a kid who got his scholarship taken away wouldnt be able to go play somewhere else right away. Also I know nothing about him family, maybe his parents can afford to pay for college. Could he not use that as a hardship case to the NCAA as to why he absolutely has to leave UK and cant even stay as a walk on?

KC4X
06-12-2009, 10:38 AM
What does he expect, the kid went to UK. The fans would sell their own children to see UK win a title again.

I didn't mention that both the father and Matt said they understood the situation and don't view Calipari as a bad guy. I just loved the quote. (It kind of rang a bell to me for some reason.) I'm not one to hate Miller for his choice, but this quote could be applied to that situation as well to a degree. I just found it funny and somewhat ironic.

D-West & PO-Z
06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
I didn't mention that both the father and Matt said they understood the situation and don't view Calipari as a bad guy. I just loved the quote. (It kind of rang a bell to me for some reason.) I'm not one to hate Miller for his choice, but this quote could be applied to that situation as well to a degree. I just found it funny and somewhat ironic.

Oh ya, I like it as well. Was bashing the UK people more than anything.

sweet16
06-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Pilgim played high school basketball at Withrow for Steve Gentry so to say XU was in his back yard growing up would be an understatement. I've been told that the kid is a hoss.

xufan02
06-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I have seen Pigrim play multiple times. He is an elite athlete with not a lof of skill to his game. Of course I saw him play 5-8 times the summer before last; he was a regular at the Deveroes League.

Juice
06-12-2009, 12:37 PM
I have seen Pigrim play multiple times. He is an elite athlete with not a lof of skill to his game. Of course I saw him play 5-8 times the summer before last; he was a regular at the Deveroes League.

Doesn't he only have one year of eligibility left? If that is the case, and he doesn't have to sit out a year, I would use the scholly on him just to have another big body. X is obviously thin at the 4, and someone who has any experience and size would probably be helpful.

Cincy Muskie
06-12-2009, 02:32 PM
How did Matt do while he was at Hampton? No digs here I am just trying to find out how he fared against competition in their conference.

Also IF the NCAA makes this kid sit out another year it may be time for the NCAA powers that be head to capitol hill damn it. If congress is thinking about taking on the BCS they should look at this transfer nonsense as well. Until they hold coaches (head and assistants) to the same standards when they decide to leave schools they should allow athletes to move freely as well. That is too much common sense for those clowns running the NCAA I know.

Mrs. Garrett
06-12-2009, 04:31 PM
How did Matt do while he was at Hampton? No digs here I am just trying to find out how he fared against competition in their conference.

Also IF the NCAA makes this kid sit out another year it may be time for the NCAA powers that be head to capitol hill damn it. If congress is thinking about taking on the BCS they should look at this transfer nonsense as well. Until they hold coaches (head and assistants) to the same standards when they decide to leave schools they should allow athletes to move freely as well. That is too much common sense for those clowns running the NCAA I know.

I read that he had attitude problems while at Hampton and only started 11 games averaging 7 points.

ChrisFarley
06-18-2009, 12:41 PM

I think Pilgrim's looking at the big BCS conferences...be good for X, but doubtful he'll come here...

AviatorX
06-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Pilgrim isn't that great. I'd say we don't need/want him. Better guys to fill that hole in the 2010 class that are strongly considering X, IMO.

therick44
06-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Pilgrim isn't that great. I'd say we don't need/want him. Better guys to fill that hole in the 2010 class that are strongly considering X, IMO.

I agree... Just not somewhere X really needs to go. UC could really use him. He fills a missing part for them.

Pilgrim has a problem (like his brother) staying out of his own way. I'll pass.

???
06-22-2009, 12:04 AM

Pilgrim is a very good player who is athletic and has very good skills. He is dangerous from 15 feet in and around the basket he is a beast. He would play two years and be very productive wherever he goes. At this point he would have to get a waiver to play next year(it sounds like he will get it). His options are to go back to Hampton or to come home to Cincinnati. He is a pretty big UC fan but decided to go elsewhere when Huggins was fired(grades were an issue out of high school just like his brother Mike had problems) I think that he could go anywhere within like 2 hours of Cincy. I know UC could be an option, at least from his end. I think that if XU was willing to give a scholarship to him, he would strongly consider them. I think that XU, UC and OSU are going to be considered. I was told UC is a strong possibility if he gets the chance/offer but not sure about the scholarship situation for him.

Cincy Muskie
06-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Anyone know a timetable on Pilgrim's decision?

Xman95
06-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Anyone know a timetable on Pilgrim's decision?

Some point between "nobody gives a shit" and "who cares?" I think. (Just kidding...I obviously have no idea.)